The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Well, after a day's shock and a few hours reflection, I've concluded that I'm done with the UK. I'm pulling a Sturgeon. As far as I'm concerned it was the English wot done this and if they want an intolerant, regressive society that scoffs at experts, then they can go ahead and have it. I'm done. I'm out. Stuff the Union, I hope it disintegrates sooner rather than later. Stuff the Tories and stuff Labour and stuff the rest of them. I don't care anymore. They no longer serve my interests. In the medium term I hope that sense prevails in NI and we strike some deal with the Republic, but chances are the unionists will be stubborn asshats and will rather see the country go down the drain than give Dublin a bigger say. In any case, I aim to move down south and be part of a wider community again. However flawed the EU may be, their values are my values. I can no longer confidently say that about the UK.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

Just now, Risso said:

It's a terrible comparison.

I'm making it up on the spot and don't claim its a good comparison.

To simplify, should you be able to vote on something quite important if you don't understand it (or can't reasonably be expected to sufficiently understand)?

I don't think so.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Well, after a day's shock and a few hours reflection, I've concluded that I'm done with the UK. I'm pulling a Sturgeon. As far as I'm concerned it was the English wot done this and if they want an intolerant, regressive society that scoffs at experts, then they can go ahead and have it. I'm done. I'm out. Stuff the Union, I hope it disintegrates sooner rather than later. Stuff the Tories and stuff Labour and stuff the rest of them. I don't care anymore. They no longer serve my interests. In the medium term I hope that sense prevails in NI and we strike some deal with the Republic, but chances are the unionists will be stubborn asshats and will rather see the country go down the drain than give Dublin a bigger say. In any case, I aim to move down south and be part of a wider community again. However flawed the EU may be, their values are my values. I can no longer confidently say that about the UK.

Cya!

Well, the left really are foaming at the mouth on here! Don't get your own way so you start hurling abuse at those on the other side of the arguement. Embarrassing.

Edited by CastleBromVilla
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Say tomorrow we had a referendum on... oh I dunno, a new way to develop energy. And this was a revolutionary new technique and really complicated. It's so complicated that you have to have high level understanding of 3 specific areas of science to have even basic understanding of it. Everyone else understands it in a really basic, pretty much so simple is not true way. But it could be brilliant. Solve many energy problems. Make environmental concerns go away.

But it's controversial. Initially it's accepted it's really expensive. And if would require us to use land and resources we perhaps wouldn't do otherwise. And it was introduced by a foreign company. And there's a rumour it causes cocks to fall off in a 10 mile radius. But that's only true really if it was in the open air, and the while thing is actually done miles deep in 5 miles of lead. And there are other minor concerns that the company and people who like the idea have explained and addressed.

Should you be able to vote on that to say that can or cannot go ahead? Something you don't understand and only have soundbites and rumour and expert comments?

I don't think it's unreasonable to say you shouldn't. Because you can't have an informed position.

The EU is similar. But we went to vote when a lot of people couldn't answer fundamental things about it and what it does and how it affects things.

It's a terrible idea.

With respect, it's really nothing like the hypothetical scenario you proposed. 

Leave or remain was a fundamental constitutional matter. It may have had very complicated issues. And many of them were unanswerable by anybody, never mind "a lot of people". Nobody really knows how things will pan out now, nobody really knows how they would have panned out if we had voted the other way. Not really much different from a general election in that sense.

Edited by BigJim

17 minutes ago, CastleBromVilla said:

Cya!

Well, the left really are foaming at the mouth on here! Don't get your own way so you start hurling abuse at those on the other side of the arguement. Embarrassing.

Haha. Being called a lefty for not wanting to destroy the economic future of this country. Brilliant. Thanks 

28 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

However flawed the EU may be, their values are my values. I can no longer confidently say that about the UK.

Would those be values of the EU comissioners, or those of the Spanish, Greek and Italian working classes?

14 minutes ago, BigJim said:

With respect, it's really nothing like the hypothetical scenario you proposed. 

Leave or remain was a fundamental constitutional matter. It may have had very complicated issues. And many of them were unanswerable by anybody, never mind "a lot of people". Nobody really knows how things will pan out now, nobody really knows how they would have panned out if we had voted the other way. Not really much different from a general election in that sense.

Ah so you just don't want to comprehend the question then. Cool. Nobody knows who things will turn out so it's fine.

You have to understand something to make a decision on it. You can't go on gut feel. That way lies madness. Unfortunately we're well down that road.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Haha. Being called a lefty for not wanting to destroy the economic future of this country. Brilliant. Thanks 

You can put at that project fear crap to one side now, it's all finished. That isn't really going to happen, is it? There might me a bit of a bump, but its certainly not going to destroy our economy. It's people like you, flapping and blowing things out of proportion that makes things worse.

2 minutes ago, CastleBromVilla said:

It's people like you, flapping and blowing things out of proportion that makes things worse.

And the foreigners. Don't forget them.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

And the foreigners. Don't forget them.

Can't say that, it's racist, despite immigration being the root of a number of the country's problems, problems which remain had no answer to.

Edited by CastleBromVilla

1 minute ago, CastleBromVilla said:

despite immigration being the root of a number of the countries problems, problems which remain had no answer to.

It really, really isn't.

Edited by Pilchard

This bit really bothers me, I have read that a trade agreement could take years, I think the Canadian agreement still isn't finished after about 8 years. So this week Donald Tusk has said Out is out no coming back, and Today Junkers has said Today that exit must begin as soon as possible. Does that mean they are overriding all EU Protocol. 

Surely a decision as this should be debated. The commission meets next week. What then,  do they take it to the Meps, to discuss and debate. What if some Greek, Austrian or Finland say hang on a minute I want to veto this and have a proper debate, and I want a couple of months to discuss the timetable. 

Or can the commission just say without debate that's it that's what we are doing. 

If the Scots have a referendum and vote out , could the prime minister just say ok I want you out next month.

1 minute ago, CastleBromVilla said:

Can't say that, it's racist, despite immigration being the root of a number of the country's problems, problems which remain had no answer to.

It'll be interesting to see how we make up the tax shortfall that we wanted those immigrants for - the baby boomer generation are all in and out of hospital now and they're costing the country a fortune - which makes it all the more ironic that they've voted to stop us bringing in the people that are helping pay for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CastleBromVilla said:

Can't say that, it's racist, despite immigration being the root of a number of the countries problems, problems which remain had no answer to.

Leave also had no answer. 

I'm disappointed in the result but it's done now, time to move on and hope for the best. Hopefully the EU will collapse and save us from ourselves.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

which makes it all the more ironic that they've voted to stop us bringing in the people that are helping pay for it.

And in a lot of cases, the people looking after them

• Like 3

Â