Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

I must be one of the 1%, because I think the campaign organisers have done the right thing in taking a rain check on the protest under the circumstances presented to them.

When anyone is making an effort, they require encouragement, irrespective of whether the moves prove to be successful.....the intentions are what counts.

We can all continuously aim criticism at the club and OMG it has been deserved.....(we are definateley the injured parties) but we do have to give them space to implement actions to address our concerns and then give those actions a chance to show their value.

The protest for me has been a success....It has brought attention, that would otherwise have been overlooked/dismissed.....its brought the issues to account.

We now need to give the powers that be, time and space to react.

No one, Including us, has a monopoly on the right decisions to put us right.

It has to be work in progress in conjunction with sincerity to fix it, no matter how unsavoury those decisions might be.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 8 March 2016 at 23:57, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Have you, like, read OTDO74's mission statement? 

Also, did you read the article? The protests in 1968 bought about change that lead to a new owner. Sitting on your hands and hoping Steven Hollis sorts it all out for you will achieve **** all except more misery for you bud.

It seems sitting on my hands and hoping Hollis sorts things out behind the scenes wasn't that far off? The 2 appointments are very encouraging. Hopefully he'll keep making correct decisions and get us in some sort if shale to rebuild in the summer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

It seems sitting on my hands and hoping Hollis sorts things out behind the scenes wasn't that far off? The 2 appointments are very encouraging. Hopefully he'll keep making correct decisions and get us in some sort if shale to rebuild in the summer. 

I don't know how anyone can be sure of success /Failure of appointments before they have got their feet under the table.

I mentioned on here just recently.....Steve Hollis and Mervyn King visiting tables in the corporate and asking questions....Their intentions seemed sincere.

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and recent appointments whilst no one can be sure of the validity, the intention is feasible.

Despite 5 something years of failed attempts to address the slide, it has to start at some point.....yes it has to and that is the mentality we should all have, them included.

With some people arriving with savvy, we could see some more prudent decisions being made.

I prefer ......."many hands make light work" as opposed to "too many cooks spoil the broth"

• Like 1

Yeah, cancelling it today is a really bad idea. As said above, any momentum you guys had is now out the window. It wouldn't surprise me if Little was brought in just to placate the fans a little bit and you guys have bought it hook, line and sinker.

• Like 1

was not for or against the protest, imo it would of changed nothing but fair play to the people trying to change things. big big mistake in calling it off, and if the board didnt think  it was a joke at the start then they definitely will now and will not be taking it seriously at all. it just seems to me the protest group has fell at the first hurdle and i just cant see it really getting going again. you just cant call protests on and off, especially this early on in its making. why the general fanbase weren't included in making this decision i dont know. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Little was brought in just to placate the fans a little bit and you guys have bought it hook, line and sinker.

It would surprise me massively. Brian Little is not a man that would just come in to tow the line or be used to appease supporters.

He has said the following "I've held various roles at the football club over a 46 year period and I know my experience and love for the Club will help shape a positive future for Aston Villa."

From discussions held he clearly believes he will have enough input and influence to be able to help bring about a positive future.

Edited by markavfc40

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

why the general fanbase weren't included in making this decision i dont know. 

That is a difficult one though mate given that a lot of the general fan base were against us walking out in the first place.

Time will tell on what happens going forward but we will be pushing on.

I am off to Villa Park anyway.

Edited by markavfc40

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What, so one post in 3 weeks where one of us has gotten drunk and lost our rag and that's what we are now? Seriously. 

Come on. I've been posting on here for over a decade. 

Apologies if I upset anyone, I'd had a hard day. I never have been much of a politician! :)

No it's not one post in 3 weeks, mark aluded to it, mike alluded to it also. Maybe my posts sound overly critical in tone in text, they sure aren't meant to be. I'm just saying how I feel. 

Plus it doesn't matter if it was just your post. One post is enough to garner a reaction. 

If everyone is getting so defensive about the criticism which has also been alongside a hell of a lot of praise in getting this thing off the ground by myself as well as others then you need to learn to accept it as the leaders of the movement. If people following your lead are made to feel inferior for whatever reason be it joining the cause at a later date, only handing out leaflets instead of helping organise etc... then they will stray.

Nothing I've said is a personal attack at you Dave, I know you've been on here for years, I respect you as a consistently informative and knowledgeable poster that whose views I agree with pretty much all the time, it's neither an attack on anyone else either, im just typing out how I feel about it all. I'm not going to be made to feel bad about saying as such by the people liking your post either ;)

If you read my posts again I'm sure you'll see that everything I've said since the announcement of the postponement has been fair criticism and none of it personal. 

I've been thinking about this a lot today and I really hope that thousands decide to carry on with the protest regardless, not because of the overall aim of the protest but because I believe in the protests, I wanted to help with them, but the last few days have soured me on it, IF the protest happens again today in substantial enough numbers then it's not too late for otdo'74 to find it's feet again. I hope it does but all im saying is don't, as a group sticking together not as individuals, have a go back at the people you are trying to convert to the cause, just let them vent and then work hard afterwards to regain their trust. Otherwise people will not join due to a perceived hierarchy.

Anyway, I'm not saying anymore on this as it's clearly an emotive and invested subject in which the dust needs to settle a bit and I don't want to fall out with people I've respected for years over this.

I hope it all succeeds and any teething problems get ironed out.

Over and out.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

That is a difficult one though mate given that a lot of the general fan base were against us walking out in the first place.

Time will tell on what happens going forward but we will be pushing on.

I am off to Villa Park anyway.

could of put the question on here,twitter,fb etc and discussed it instead of doing it closed doors. anyway i hope it works out and the time and effort is rewarded.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really disappointed at postponing it out of 'respect' for the club, when the club clearly have so little respect for the fans.

Throwing fans out for having banners.

**** off.

I'd like to know Brian Little's thoughts on this.

• Like 1

I think the protesting is stupid, we are making changes to the board like we want but major changes wont happen till the summer,  It is not like changing now will keep us up, wait to the summer and asses properly, Hollis does seem to know what he is doing he has made 3 sensible appointments.

I have every sympathy of any fan who wants to protest, in a legal manner, over the total shambles this football club is in. A few decent board appointments does not paper over the facts of 20 league defeats, and 3 league wins in the last 32 games. Lerner may want to sell up but reminding him clearly every couple of weeks is no bad thing.

So thats how the club react to the protest being postponed ,,,,by removing banners , and ejecting supporters !! Tyranny off the pitch and charlatans and fraudsters on it  . There was always something strangely reassuring on seeing the " Ellis out " banner on the Holte at every home game years ago

• Like 1

Might be safest not to protest.

Reports again today of stewards wrestling protest banners of the hands of fans.

Only a matter of time before they bring in the water cannons and teargas 

50 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really disappointed at postponing it out of 'respect' for the club, when the club clearly have so little respect for the fans.

Throwing fans out for having banners.

**** off.

They would have lost their shit if we had done what Charlton fans did today.

PAY-Charlton-fans-carry-a-mock-coffin-in

PAY-Charlton-fans-carry-a-mock-coffin-in

• Like 3

Â