Keinan Davis

a-k

On 10/02/2022 at 16:29, Chindie said:

His problem was always he picks up niggly injuries he can't shift and he's not a finisher.

Spot on. His injury record is really bad. 

It’s funny because whilst I absolutely agree with you that he isn’t a natural finisher, I do wonder how much his injury record has impacted that? 

Look I’ll hold my hands up, I’m not a fan that watches too much youth football so can’t comment on his record/finishing ability at youth level, but I wonder if that can be improved with regular game time should he stay fit? 

Given the above, whatever he does for Forest in the remainder of the season, I think it would be prudent to loan him out again next season. A full (hopefully fit) season will give us a really good indicator to see if he has the potential to be a PL striker 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

It’s funny because whilst I absolutely agree with you that he isn’t a natural finisher, I do wonder how much his injury record has impacted that? 

Look I’ll hold my hands up, I’m not a fan that watches too much youth football so can’t comment on his record/finishing ability at youth level, but I wonder if that can be improved with regular game time should he stay fit? 

Given the above, whatever he does for Forest in the remainder of the season, I think it would be prudent to loan him out again next season. A full (hopefully fit) season will give us a really good indicator to see if he has the potential to be a PL striker 

but he is the stark opposite of Archer, who can score goals.....but Archer couldn't hold the ball up like Davis.....Its great to have players who have everything like Haaland, but they are rare and expensive.

or then you get to Man City, who don't need a striker as we know it.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but he is the stark opposite of Archer, who can score goals.....but Archer couldn't hold the ball up like Davis.....Its great to have players who have everything like Haaland, but they are rare and expensive.

or then you get to Man City, who don't need a striker as we know it.

Totally agree mate. If you merge Davis’s plus points with Archer’s finishing ability we have a £100m striker. 

Fans seem to judge strikers on goals alone, and it’s a fair barometer 80% of the time, but Liverpool won the CL with a striker (Firminio) that isn’t prolific, and to a lesser extent we were all happy with Watkins last season even though he would probably fall under the umbrella of “not a natural finisher” 

I don’t want to merge threads here and risk the wrath of the moderators, but a lot of what we liked about Ollie last season was his ability to hold the ball up, bring others into play, and the obvious work rate. 

I think Davis does most of that just as well, bar probably the work rate; the issue is if the kid can stay fit. 

22 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There is a lot to admire when you see Man City clinically steamroller their latest victims, but the Championship can be bloody exciting.

Their movement "Off" The ball, is mindblowing and their ability to move the ball, just at the point of challenge is the timing of a trapeze artist.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

but Liverpool won the CL with a striker (Firminio) that isn’t prolific

He scored at a rate of 1 in 3 that season, an average of 1 in 3 in his career until the last season or so where Liverpool have dropped him move and also involved Jota more.  You’re not comparing like for like there at all mate. (Edit: Quality goal tonight against Inter)

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I think Davis does most of that just as well, bar probably the work rate; the issue is if the kid can stay fit. 

So doesn’t score, doesn’t have the work rate and is injured a lot but….I’m not sure there is a but.

Edited by nick76

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Crazy thought. But Keinan suits our current style of play better than any other forward we have. 

I dont disagree but we need a goalscoring forward. No way we can just rely on Ramsey and maybe Coutinho for goals

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont disagree but we need a goalscoring forward. No way we can just rely on Ramsey and maybe Coutinho for goals

Do we though?

What we need is the ball to stick up where our goal scoring midfielders can get involved.  I’d rather 5 players got 2 goals each than 1 striker gets 7.  

Of course Watkins of last season would be perfect.  But right now he can’t hold the ball up, beat a man, or pass to one of our own players.

Right now JJ has same number of goals as Ollie having played 150 minutes less.  And there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s a better finisher too.  

Personally I’d choose an option that allows Coutinho, Ramsey and Buendia as many shooting chances as possible.  And if Davis could do that, I’d take him over a miss firing Watkins.  

Davis vs Burn would have had a very different outcome in my mind, on the whole game.

An inform Watkins is obviously a different story.

18 minutes ago, Thug said:

Do we though?

Yes

18 minutes ago, Thug said:

I’d rather 5 players got 2 goals each than 1 striker gets 7.

Do we have 5 players that if that happened would score 2?  JJ, Coutinho….starting to struggle after that…maybe Buendia…a bit light after that.

20 minutes ago, Thug said:

Of course Watkins of last season would be perfect.  But right now he can’t hold the ball up, beat a man, or pass to one of our own players.

So…doesn’t mean we don’t need a goal scoring forward just because ours is off form.

21 minutes ago, Thug said:

Right now JJ has same number of goals as Ollie having played 150 minutes less.  And there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s a better finisher too.  

Agreed

21 minutes ago, Thug said:

Personally I’d choose an option that allows Coutinho, Ramsey and Buendia as many shooting chances as possible.

Or better that a player who can feed off the chances those players make.  Coutinho and Buendia are mainly creators not scorers, you then have player that finishes those chances.  Relying on them to score the goals is ass backwards, you get them todo what they do best which is creating and somebody else to finish and then you have the added benefit of a few goals from them.  You don’t rely on them for the goals.

24 minutes ago, Thug said:

And if Davis could do that, I’d take him over a miss firing Watkins.  

and Davis has never proved he can do it at this level or could it.  A little run here or there when he was with us doesn’t do anything.  Added to that he never really provided any assists and now after a handful of games elsewhere he’s doing well and now he’s the solution to our problem….nope!

28 minutes ago, Thug said:

Davis vs Burn would have had a very different outcome in my mind, on the whole game.

Great, especially as for us it’s never made a difference when he’s generally played.  On paper it looks great but never lived up to reality.  Doubt he would’ve made any difference despite how poor Ollie was because Keinan never made a difference when he was here and a handful of games at Forest doesn’t change that.

32 minutes ago, Thug said:

An inform Watkins is obviously a different story.

Which is the whole point, not that Davis is the solution but Ollie is playing poorly.  As you say an inform Watkins and we wouldn’t even be discussing Davis.

Hope Davis continues to play well, we get a nice fat fee from Forest at the end of season and we go our separate ways.  Davis has proved to never be the answer and just because our striker is off form, the answer doesn’t suddenly become Davis because he’s elsewhere because it’s never been the solution before.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2022 at 19:23, av1 said:

You say that but he is on his 9th consecutive game at Forest. More then he ever managed at Villa without getting injured. We do seem to get more then an average amount of injuries and I'm starting to think it's something to do with the training or medical department. 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

You say that but he is on his 9th consecutive game at Forest. More then he ever managed at Villa without getting injured. We do seem to get more then an average amount of injuries and I'm starting to think it's something to do with the training or medical department. 

I think I’d have to disagree with that mate, I think if you compare us to many teams our injury record is generally pretty good. 

Back to Keinan, I think you make a really good point. Most players (ex or current) say that playing is a totally different fitness level than training, and the simply fact is that Keinan didn’t get regular playing time with us, which was then fractured further by injury. 

Maybe this run of of games is helping with that? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

He's quality, honestly. Maybe not a PL starter any time soon, but I just think one day it will all click.

i agree he is much better than many give him credit for.

But at the same time, with regard to "it will all click one day", he is 24, not 18......

Thought he was excellent tonight and am delighted Forest got their 95th minute equaliser – I want to see Keinan in the play-offs. Apart from a wayward right foot shot and not quite capitalising on an interception (that he had forced himself) he could easily have had two assists but for some poor finishing from teammates. Also denied a stonewall penalty when a Sheff Uto defender practically ripped his shirt off to stop him prodding in at the far post. Looked strong, poised, intelligent (and quick footed) in all he did. Can see why they love him at Forest.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts

27 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

He's quality, honestly. Maybe not a PL starter any time soon, but I just think one day it will all click.

He has this weird quality where he’d be fantastic off the bench for City or Liverpool or whoever, but thriving at his current level.

Â