Keinan Davis

a-k

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree completely. The way we set up in the 1st half at Wembley, Davis would have been far more effective than Grabban. (Obviously nerves in a big game like that may have affected him.)

What happened to him during the 2nd half of the season? He just disappeared. 

He played a lot of games for us.at a time when we had no other available forward and did a very good job for us early on. We possibly overplayed him through necessity. As a young player he probably needed the odd break from the first team (which he should be able to get in the coming season) but we had no real alternative and he was willing to play through for the club's benefit possibly at cost to himself.  Without breaks from the first team his game suffered a bit and his lack of goals possibly also had an impact on his confidence in the second half of the season. I back him to be back at his best next season hopefully with us.

• Like 1

Absolutely cannot sell.  Makes no sense either given that he'll be on peanuts and that we wouldn't get a great amount for him just yet.

His goals ratio will improve but he's so much more than that.  He's a perfect foil for either a second striker or a secondary line of attacking midfielders.  I've always imagined him to be ideal to use at the top of a 3-4-3-1 style formation (ala the way Chelsea play) if we could only find the right blend of players to sit behind him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Absolutely cannot sell.  Makes no sense either given that he'll be on peanuts and that we wouldn't get a great amount for him just yet.

His goals ratio will improve but he's so much more than that.  He's a perfect foil for either a second striker or a secondary line of attacking midfielders.  I've always imagined him to be ideal to use at the top of a 3-4-3-1 style formation (ala the way Chelsea play) if we could only find the right blend of players to sit behind him.

If we had of found and signed the right version of him in experienced form, or like a Dion Dublin.

Guaranteed.....We would be sitting in the premier league now.....we Royally ****ed up

Fulham and Cardiff got it right.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If he can get some consistency into his game, and get back to the lad who bullied QPR, Norwich, Burton and Barnsley he could be a big player for us next season. Such a shame he dropped out so alarmingly to the point where he wasn't really affecting the game at all.

Not ready yet...but we have to assume his attitude is right.....or he never will be ready.

Heard some iffy reports.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we had of found and signed the right version of him in experienced form, or like a Dion Dublin.

Guaranteed.....We would be sitting in the premier league now.....we Royally ****ed up

Fulham and Cardiff got it right.

Completely agree Tro.

I do wonder what would have been had we managed to secure Leonardo Ulloa in January, instead of him pointlessly going to sit on Brighton's bench.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Completely agree Tro.

I do wonder what would have been had we managed to secure Leonardo Ulloa in January, instead of him pointlessly going to sit on Brighton's bench.

We will never know....but its that type we needed.

We needed someone to take out the oppositions centre Halves.....god its fundamental this...its so frustrating when you think of it.

We don't need tactical genius's .....we need to get the basics right.

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

we would have a chace playing 3-4-3-1...........sorry couldn't resist! ?

3 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I think he is on 20 grand a week when he signed his new contract in January. That was when 1- prem clubs were sniffing around after his impressive start to the season and 2- we thought we actually had some money.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Did o.k for me last season.

Not ever going to be a 15-20 goal striker though.

I think you are right. I think he may prove to be a good foil for someone up alongside him and holding the ball up and bringing others into play but he doesn't look like he will be a one in two/three forward. Perhaps an Emile Heskey type of player who does all of the above and chips in with 7-10 goals a season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think you are right. I think he may prove to be a good foil for someone up alongside him and holding the ball up and bringing others into play but he doesn't look like he will be a one in two/three forward. Perhaps an Emile Heskey type of player who does all of the above and chips in with 7-10 goals a season.

I think he has more potential than that to be honest.

Either way I have NO doubt that he can develop into a VERY good players, just needs a little finisher (RHM etc) beside him.

Although heavily criticised,  and rightly so, Hogan could still work playing up top in a 2 with KD. Also, with JG going I believe 2 up top is possibly the way to go this season. Our main source of creativity will be out wide and so with crosses a plenty we need 2 strikers on the pitch. Clutching, maybe, but it could work sufficiently to keep us safely mid-table. Appreciate though that the lack of 2 CMs able to play in that system is an issue that maybe tricky to solve....

Davis is a prime example of 'one of our own' completely trumping any facts or any realistic judgement. He's a striker who doesn't score goals. Someone above said he might get 7 to 10 goals in a season - I'd say that's his absolute limit, and that is at Championship level. He's big and strong and has a reasonable touch but his finishing and decision making is so bad that no amount of experience or game time will help.

Whilst no massive fan of Hogan, he gets a lot of stick for being useless when he scored 9 goals to Davis' 3, and assisted in one more goal than him. His goal to minutes played is over twice as good (234mins per goal to KD's 530mins). So all Davis has over him is that he's 'one of our own' and didn't cost £12m (not Hogan's fault it is an overinflated market). 

Sorry, Davis is barely good enough for this level and the fact he's 6 years younger than Hogan is not enough to excuse his shortcomings. He needs to go out on loan to see if there's a footballer in there rather than just being a big guy. At (around) his age Hogan was scoring every other game in League 2.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Davis is a prime example of 'one of our own' completely trumping any facts or any realistic judgement. He's a striker who doesn't score goals. Someone above said he might get 7 to 10 goals in a season - I'd say that's his absolute limit, and that is at Championship level. He's big and strong and has a reasonable touch but his finishing and decision making is so bad that no amount of experience or game time will help.

Whilst no massive fan of Hogan, he gets a lot of stick for being useless when he scored 9 goals to Davis' 3, and assisted in one more goal than him. His goal to minutes played is over twice as good (234mins per goal to KD's 530mins). So all Davis has over him is that he's 'one of our own' and didn't cost £12m (not Hogan's fault it is an overinflated market). 

Sorry, Davis is barely good enough for this level and the fact he's 6 years younger than Hogan is not enough to excuse his shortcomings. He needs to go out on loan to see if there's a footballer in there rather than just being a big guy. At (around) his age Hogan was scoring every other game in League 2.

A 20 year old youth player who did not prove to be the complete article in his first senior almost full season shocker.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A 20 year old youth player who did not prove to be the complete article in his first senior almost full season shocker.

When Gabby was 20 he'd scored 9 goals in 38 games in the Premier League. It's not having a go for the sake of it, he's unfortunately just not good enough and no amount of experience is going to change that. Feel free to quote me in a year or two if I'm wrong (which I actually hope I am) but he just doesn't have it in my eyes.

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Davis had an impact on games, made chances for himself and also got on the end of other chances. He's 20 and was in his first season. 

Hogan did absolutely nothing other than get a few tap ins in two games. 

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

You make some fair points here, but I have to say I felt the team played better with Davis than with Hogan. 

Â