What do we do about it?

Richard

1 hour ago, KHV said:

We have been in dark places before, 86/87 was bad but we survived and I'm sure there are people that remember us being in the third tier but we survived. That was before my time but didn't we have something like 40,000 against Bournemouth in the third tier?  Best thing we can do in the championship is follow the club in huge numbers and make some noise and enjoy it. I had some great  days with my dad in 87 in division two following the villa. Oddly enough probably my favorite ever season since supporting the club as I was a bit too young to enjoy the league and European success properly

I remember these days too and the ones in the 70's when we were in Div 3 as it was then (I was at school) BUT relegation probably didn't have such severe consequences in those days before the almighty Premier League was formed.    To be out of that for a club of our history and size is absolutely tragic - but then again, we are so far off the top echelons of it that I am almost in a perverse way looking forward to a time when things are more fair for us.   I think the premier league has destroyed football in a lot of ways and until a European Super League is formed when the Sky 6/7 can go, the rest of us have no chance.   However, I think the White Flag/Hanky thing is good too.   We need to support the team no matter how crap - but get the message over the Randy and his crap Board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Ten minutes of silence with white flags aloft between the sixth and the sixteenth minute?

Symbolising the ten years of Lerner's position at the club between 2006 and 2016?

Ten minutes of singing "we want our Villa back" with white flags aloft between the sixth and the sixteenth minute?

Symbolising the ten years of Lerner's position at the club between 2006 and 2016?

This would boost the atmosphere for the players.

Silence would be a strange atmosphere for the players

• Like 1

I think Lerner is done with the club. We will have to stand on our own two feet so to speak. No more money from the owner and the books will be balanced so that at some point a buyer might be tempted.

Sadly he has charged Hollis & Fox with running the club, neither have an ounce of real football knowledge so Hollis will balance the numbers and Fox will try to reclaim the revenue his decisions in the last 12 months have lost the club.

If Garde goes I wouldn't want either of them within a million miles of appointing the next manager.

We either come straight back up or we stay down until Lerner goes.

23 minutes ago, Donniewyer said:

He wants to sell but no-one wants to buy.

Protesting that no-one wants to buy the club? Or are we protesting that he doesn't want to spend money on players when he doesn't want to own the club?

Protesting at his mis-managing of the club? He wants out anyway.

There is no point in cutting our noses off to spite our faces. Its our club at the end of the day.

We absolutely don't want to cut off our nose, which is why IMV we need to continue turning up (easy for a foreigner to say I know ...).  But we must protest the fact that maybe, just maybe, no-one wants to buy because of the price being asked.  It could be argued that he's holding on to an asking price in the unrealistic hope that he'll recoup more of what he spent.   But in the interim, his asset continues to devalue and his ownership becomes poisonous through lack of investment.  His asset is about to half in value.  His stewardship makes it less likely that we come straight back up.  Why not get out now at 80% or 70% of what he wants, than risk the very likely scenario where he hands over a heap of rubble for 40% or less in a few years time.

He always said that he would hand over 'custodianship' of the club as soon as he felt he could not do us justice.  That point has long since passed, and it's not overly-critical to say he's not doing everything in his power to make a sale happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

If fan groups/fans websites got together, maybe a Facebook even with a message etc - it could have a positive impact on the way fans currently perceive the club (and not the team - who we need to get behind)

Or, you know, you could actually organise it, rather than hoping someone else will.

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

I'm sorry I thought this was a suggestion thread - I offered a suggestion that's all...

Has anyone else's post been met with a similar response?

No need to be sorry. My suggestion was that perhaps you could follow through with yours. It's something you could actually do.

35 minutes ago, BOF said:

We absolutely don't want to cut off our nose, which is why IMV we need to continue turning up (easy for a foreigner to say I know ...).  But we must protest the fact that maybe, just maybe, no-one wants to buy because of the price being asked.  It could be argued that he's holding on to an asking price in the unrealistic hope that he'll recoup more of what he spent.   But in the interim, his asset continues to devalue and his ownership becomes poisonous through lack of investment.  His asset is about to half in value.  His stewardship makes it less likely that we come straight back up.  Why not get out now at 80% or 70% of what he wants, than risk the very likely scenario where he hands over a heap of rubble for 40% or less in a few years time.

He always said that he would hand over 'custodianship' of the club as soon as he felt he could not do us justice.  That point has long since passed, and it's not overly-critical to say he's not doing everything in his power to make a sale happen.

I think we are probably worth around what he paid for us once we go down. Time for cutting his losses was 2 years ago when he first wanted to sell, he could have easy got a buyer at £120-£150m and got the fudge out of dodge and let us get on with it. The only way he will get decent money for us now is if we go straight back up and finish mid table the year after. The chances of that are slim to fudge all.

I'll tell you what people will do:

1. Renew season tickets in the thousands.

2. Buy the new kit in the thousands.

3. Buy other merchandise in the thousands.

4. Turn up on match days in the thousands.

Then rinse and repeat because hardly anyone does anything ever except go on fan forums for a whinge.

Lerner will continue to screw up the club and people will tolerate it.

End of.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I'll tell you what people will do:

1. Renew season tickets in the thousands.

2. Buy the new kit in the thousands.

3. Buy other merchandise in the thousands.

4. Turn up on match days in the thousands.

Then rinse and repeat because hardly anyone does anything ever except go on fan forums for a whinge.

Lerner will continue to screw up the club and people will tolerate it.

End of.

Just because many fans can't bring themselves to give up on watching and supporting the club they love doesn't mean they "tolerate" it. That's a bit unfair.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

2 years ago when he first wanted to sell, he could have easy got a buyer at £120-£150m and got the fudge out of dodge and let us get on with it. 

Yet he didn't get a buyer two years ago. That was despite him recruiting M&A guys from BAML to find a buyer. There were some rumours of interested buyers, and the Financial Times reported interest from the Ukraine (link below), but sanctions apparently put a stop to that, and none of the whispers transpired.

"One attempt to sell Aston Villa, meanwhile, was scuppered...."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c102c0b0-390a-11e5-8613-07d16aad2152.html#ixzz3z2Gt98tM

We don't truly know what his valuation of the club was at the time, but it couldn't have been that unrealistic if the interest was there.

It's said that he can't sell because of his asking price, but nobody knows what that is, or whether that's true. What we do know, and as talked about in the article above, is that out and out purchases of PL football clubs just aren't desirable any more for a number of reasons. The potential buyer market is small.

And now, with another global financial meltdown looming, I can't see the club being sold anytime soon. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see Howard Hodgson and some other wealthy fans join together to purchase the club. Also I'd like to see everyday fans become shareholders too. Lerner needs to be much more realistic with his price though. Imagine being able to have a voice in the future of our club and the togetherness that would bring. Exeter City are a great example of this kind of thing working excellently. 

We are lacking people with the right "why" they are involved (see this video to get what I mean)

We all have this club far closer to our hearts than anyone who sees us an investment or PR opportunity for their businesses. 

11 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:
tolerate
ˈtɒləreɪt/
verb

1. 1.
    allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference.

Struggling to think of a better description.

I wouldn't call it tolerating. As has already been said, there's no guarantee that boycotting would even help. If Lerner's determined to cut costs then he'll do that regardless.

This just comes across as condescending better fan nonsense.

I'd like to see Howard Hodgson and some other wealthy fans join together to purchase the club. Also I'd like to see everyday fans become shareholders too. Lerner needs to be much more realistic with his price though. Imagine being able to have a voice in the future of our club and the togetherness that would bring. Exeter City are a great example of this kind of thing working excellently. 

We are lacking people with the right "why" they are involved (see this video to get what I mean)

We all have this club far closer to our hearts than anyone who sees us an investment or PR opportunity for their businesses. 

Swansea model is really good as well thats why they have punched abive their weight in recent years

• Like 1

I actually think we stand a better chance of finding a buyer in the Championship. Lerner would have to lower his price for a start and any potential buyer would have the added incentive of being able to take a huge club back to the PL  with the prospect of a massive increase in revenue.

• Like 2

Â