Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I loved Hollis comments today, "randy wnats to make us one of the best run teams in the premier league"

If you haven't noticed you baffoon we are on the verge of relegation. 

Do you have a link please?.. Cant find it.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I have read it from a few journalists, but what difference does it make, its an opinion that a few others have and I see the similarity. I never thought it relevant to record who said it.

why does it seem so important to you?.....who?

**** me, I was only asking.

It's not important, I was genuinely interested.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10138626/aston-villa-chairman-steve-hollis-frustrated-at-summer-spending

New Aston Villa chairman Steve Hollis has expressed his frustration at the club's summer spend and insists "other things need to be fixed" before big money is spent again.

Villa spent around £60m last summer following the departures of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph, with Jordan Ayew, Rudy Gestede and Adama Traore among the new arrivals at the club.

Hollis was appointed as Villa's new chairman last Thursday and when asked whether he felt money had been wasted during the summer transfer window, he told Sky Sports News HQ: "I think the results are the best indicator on answering that question."

Remi Garde, who was appointed as Tim Sherwood's successor in November, has won only one of his 11 league matches in charge and previously said the board are aware of the players he wants to sign during the January transfer window.

Hollis insists the new regime at Villa are open to signing new players, but says improving the club's infrastructure remains the priority.

"The cheque book has not been put away and if there is a player out there or a couple of players out there who we feel will fit in and really help the side in the Premier League or in the Championship, we are looking," he said.

"You have got to look at the facts, this club spent £60m last summer. This club five out of the last 10 years has had the biggest contribution from the owner of all the top six clubs. That is a lot of money.

"This is not about spending money. That is not the reason why the club is not doing well. Other things need to be fixed before we go out and spend big money."

He added: "The only thing we can focus on now is the best we can possibly do both in terms of the capital resources and human resources to put this club on the best footing possible.

"Just look at the Premier League, look at the clubs that are doing well at the moment. Most of them haven't spent big money. What they have done is invest in the infrastructure of the club and invested in that hard work culture, culture of continuous improvement and team spirit.

"That actually is more valuable than big money at the present time the way the Premier League is evolving."

Hollis, the former Midlands chairman of accountancy firm KMPG and current vice-chairman of the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership, says he has no fears about undertaking a role in the football industry.

When asked whether he had any concerns about facing a future backlash from supporters, he said: "I hope we can all afford to be civil. I actually think the reaction you see from fans is brilliant, it's the raw emotion and just shows the passion and the care that is coming out.

"Hopefully we can move into better periods where we will not go through that. And actually you will not be interested in people like me, the chairman, you'll be more interested in people like the manager and the players. They are who the fans come out to see, not me."

Hollis also took the opportunity to defend owner Randy Lerner, who will take a back seat role with Hollis and chief executive Tom Fox assuming operational control of the club on a day-to-day basis.

He said: "Last May, Randy was very clear, the club was for sale. If he couldn't sell the club, he would put in a professional board, a new chairman and the club would be put on a "proper footing".

"I was with Randy earlier this week in New York and he is a private gentleman, but he is absolutely passionate about this football club.

"We watched the Wycombe game together and we were jumping up and down. But he is very clear, he wants me to run this club. The buck stops with the new chairman.

"Randy will still be on the board, he has a lot to offer to the board. He has got a lot of experience and knowledge, so he is not going, but we a moving into a new phase for this football club."

28 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

29 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

New Aston Villa chairman Steve Hollis has expressed his frustration at the club's summer spend and insists "other things need to be fixed" before big money is spent again.

Villa spent around £60m last summer following the departures of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph, with Jordan Ayew, Rudy Gestede and Adama Traore among the new arrivals at the club.

Hollis was appointed as Villa's new chairman last Thursday and when asked whether he felt money had been wasted during the summer transfer window, he told Sky Sports News HQ: "I think the results are the best indicator on answering that question."

Remi Garde, who was appointed as Tim Sherwood's successor in November, has won only one of his 11 league matches in charge and previously said the board are aware of the players he wants to sign during the January transfer window.

Hollis insists the new regime at Villa are open to signing new players, but says improving the club's infrastructure remains the priority.

"The cheque book has not been put away and if there is a player out there or a couple of players out there who we feel will fit in and really help the side in the Premier League or in the Championship, we are looking," he said.

"You have got to look at the facts, this club spent £60m last summer. This club five out of the last 10 years has had the biggest contribution from the owner of all the top six clubs. That is a lot of money.

"This is not about spending money. That is not the reason why the club is not doing well. Other things need to be fixed before we go out and spend big money."

He added: "The only thing we can focus on now is the best we can possibly do both in terms of the capital resources and human resources to put this club on the best footing possible.

"Just look at the Premier League, look at the clubs that are doing well at the moment. Most of them haven't spent big money. What they have done is invest in the infrastructure of the club and invested in that hard work culture, culture of continuous improvement and team spirit.

"That actually is more valuable than big money at the present time the way the Premier League is evolving."

Hollis, the former Midlands chairman of accountancy firm KMPG and current vice-chairman of the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership, says he has no fears about undertaking a role in the football industry.

When asked whether he had any concerns about facing a future backlash from supporters, he said: "I hope we can all afford to be civil. I actually think the reaction you see from fans is brilliant, it's the raw emotion and just shows the passion and the care that is coming out.

"Hopefully we can move into better periods where we will not go through that. And actually you will not be interested in people like me, the chairman, you'll be more interested in people like the manager and the players. They are who the fans come out to see, not me."

Hollis also took the opportunity to defend owner Randy Lerner, who will take a back seat role with Hollis and chief executive Tom Fox assuming operational control of the club on a day-to-day basis.

He said: "Last May, Randy was very clear, the club was for sale. If he couldn't sell the club, he would put in a professional board, a new chairman and the club would be put on a "proper footing".

"I was with Randy earlier this week in New York and he is a private gentleman, but he is absolutely passionate about this football club.

"We watched the Wycombe game together and we were jumping up and down. But he is very clear, he wants me to run this club. The buck stops with the new chairman.

"Randy will still be on the board, he has a lot to offer to the board. He has got a lot of experience and knowledge, so he is not going, but we a moving into a new phase for this football club."

Print this off, roll it up and put it at the bottom of your roses in the garden and watch em bloom in the summer.

• Like 3

Utter drivel from the guy but just what I've come to expect. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but it really is more of the same rubbish we've heard for 6 years just out of a different cake hole while someone gets rich doing a job they are ill equipped to carry out.

The worst thing about it is I actually think Lerner and his collection of village idiots believe the rubbish they come out with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Well considering it is declared as such a basic fundamental flaw that everyone knows about.....you must have missed it, because I haven't seen a post where you have highlighted it....and as a club we have been unable to correct it/address it.

It seems the simple things in football you miss and subsequently have difficulty identifying them .....VC its a simple game don't try to complicate it by trying to be clever.

I have to say, your sarcasm is quite comical.... and I do enjoy it, despite our differences.

I was merely highlighting the moments in our history when we have done the things others are doing now.....before you roll out the old chesnut" its different now" implying without the USA Defence budget we might as well throw the towel in.

I can't be bothered to go in to chapter and verse about blue prints and road maps,Templates and processes......(its football not solving the Syrian crisis)most discerning fans knew what we did around that time.....and we haven't been doing it for c10 years......wouldn't to be prudent it at least take a look at past successes and identify good practice.

Most of anyones success is the people they employ and retain.....and we have been pretty shabby at dealing with that....put that in your blueprint.

Incidently, don't belittle "hard work and desire" as if its some kind of given that all teams do.....because they don't.....and I have seen posts on here where fans have said at least we worked hard and we simply haven't.....not in terms of being effective to get results.

You ask anybody that knows anything about Management....It can involve a whole bunch of management skills to unlease "Hard work and desire" .....I'm surprised I have to spell that out to you too.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Such a ridiculous thing to say ....."Get the right players"......."Hard work and desire"

We all know we have all that tied down to a tee.....and we are the premier league exponents.

its all the other stuff ;)....you know.

TRO. if there was a prize for totally missing the point, you'd be a dead cert to win it!

Being successful in football, as in life, is both incredibly simple and incredibly complex

The "blueprint" that you feel was so successful in 1981 was (your words) "recruiting the right players and coaching them well".  I agree that if you got both those elements spot on you would be a long way down the road to being successful.  Because we are performing so badly it's highly likely that we must be doing at least one and probably both of these things very poorly.

HOWEVER, my point was that knowing that you have to "recruit the right players and coach them well" is hardly a secret that has gone under the radar for the past 35 years. 99.9% of fans would tell you that finding good players and improving their abilities is crucial. Leicester have found some decent players and (we don't know for sure but it is likely) coached them well. This is not some lost recipe for success invented by Saunders and Barton in 1981 and uncovered and applied by Ranieri 35 years later.

If Hollis and Fox were to announce tonight at the supporters AGM that our plan for the next five years was to "recruit the right players and coach them well" I expect the response from the masses would be "no shit Sherlock"

As for "hard work and a great attitude" this is laughable as it is the phrase used by Hollis as weasle words that he intends to rollout whenever anyone talks about levels of investment. The phrase "Hard work and a great attitude" is in THIS CONTEXT banal, tedious and trite. EVERYONE knows that to be successful you need to work hard and display the right attitude but saying it and doing it are a million miles apart.

Also hard work and a great attitude FOR ME need to go hand in hand with a proper investment strategy. Please note, I am not saying here and have never said that the only road to success is to spend 100's of millions (although I don't think it would harm our chances either). I actually have no problem with the overall level of Lerner's investment although I do have problem with the feast/famine nature of its application and the structure (or lack of) by which it was applied

Finally, you keep saying "blah, blah, blah....stick that in your blueprint"  I wasn't the one who started this whole conversation of models and blueprints - that was you!  Things have moved on incredibly in 35 years but I'm sure that there are many lessons that can be learnt from 1981 and from every succesful team between then and now.

If I asked someone to teach me how to play the trumpet, if they replied "blow in here and wiggle your fingers" I wouldn't take me very far. That the same level of instruction as "recruit the right players and coach them well".........maybe if I displayed "hard work and a great attitude" it would help

Sorry but everyone can see the faults at VP, it seems a little more difficult to find the solutions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh god, haven't you two done this one already? I thought you'd reached a conclusion, that you basically agree with one another?

Made me LOL 

He did say he gracefully withdrew didnt he which by rights made me the winner by default

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

' This club five out of the last 10 years has had the biggest contribution from the owner of all the top six clubs. '

We're a top 6 club? Could have fooled me. 

What the feck is he on about there?  I know he is an accountant but he is totally wrong its laughable. He never hear of city or chelsea. Did he mean to say from the owners outside the top 6 clubs?

Not impressed from what I have seen and heard.

"this club spent £60m pounds"

so what?  A net spend of £8mil after decimating the squad year after year. Is massively behind the curve compared to all other sides.

I was open minded about his appointment but the fact that he thinks he knows what the problem is after being here for 10 minutes, tells me that he knows **** all.  I had some hope before his appointment, but this guy has just nailed that shut. An amateur on damage control.  

If we do go down I hope Randy gets his fingers burnt severely and a consortium of fans buy the club in a fire sale it's the least he could do.

• Like 1

I started to pull his whole statement apart but It's all such utter bullshit

They f***** believe this nonesense

Unless Garde can work a miracle in the Championship, we're dead and gone because he's getting no help from this prat

Â