Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

"Just look at the Premier League, look at the clubs that are doing well at the moment. Most of them haven't spent big money"

Maybe not but they had decent squads to start with. We have had to, as good as build a new team with only 60 million. Do they think we are daft?

Infrastruture is priority. No it isn't. Find out what happens if you spend another 60 million on this squad in the summer. May equal results. 

27 minutes ago, VillakevBromsgrove said:

In a way he is right, we got young players in but not experienced players to balance the side, most pundits thought we would struggle, also maybe he is saying we have not got rid of bad apples and these have to be removed.

At least he is facing the cameras and giving us something even if it not what we want to here. better than the previous silence coming from the club

I think that is a fair point.

The Southampton rebuild (some of it is a myth, a lot of luck) was just after they almost folded. They then spent 10x the other teams in league 1, and a lot more than other teams in the championship - the sort of budgets we can only dream of with Lerner in charge. For us it'll be a case of dropping till the poison goes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

"Just look at the Premier League, look at the clubs that are doing well at the moment. Most of them haven't spent big money"

Maybe not but they had decent squads to start with. We have had to, as good as build a new team with only 60 million. Do they think we are daft?

Infrastruture is priority. No it isn't. Find out what happens if you spend another 60 million on this squad in the summer. May equal results. 

Watford /Bournemouth/crystal palace.....have all built their squads more prudently.

its not just one thing it's an accumulation.

at present their is little indication that another 60 mill wouldn't be wasted....if it was raised.

how can that be sustained?

Just now, TRO said:

Watford /Bournemouth/crystal palace.....have all built their squads more prudently.

its not just one thing it's an accumulation.

at present their is little indication that another 60 mill wouldn't be wasted....if it was raised.

how can that be sustained?

If we need to be prudent, I expect us in the Championship for a very very long time. Its not gonna get any easier to get back in the Premier league, its gonna take money spent, that's the only way.

10 minutes ago, DK82 said:

The Southampton rebuild (some of it is a myth, a lot of luck) was just after they almost folded. They then spent 10x the other teams in league 1, and a lot more than other teams in the championship - the sort of budgets we can only dream of with Lerner in charge. For us it'll be a case of dropping till the poison goes.

Rickie Lambert cost over a million in that league. Probably record transfer in League 1 history

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree. That seems to be what he's saying if people can stop grinding their teeth for 5 seconds.

He's not syaing we'll never spend again. he's saying if we spend we need to make sure we spend it properly and not waste it.

Just the other day someone posted in the Lerner thread showing how much money we've wasted and everybody lolled and joked about it.

Now we have someone saying we want to make sure that doesn't happen and everyone is up in arms about it.

I genuinely think this guy could have given a Martin Luther King greatest speech of all time and this thread would still be full of vitriol. It doesn't matter what he says, a large part of the fanbase have lost so much faith with anyone at the club that it will fall on deaf ears.

I get it. Times are tough, and I understand why people would have very little faith in the people running this club.

But I like to think we can at least give someone a chance before we start throwing embarrassing personal insults at people.

I'll say it again, this thread is an embarrassment. It makes me cringe.

As I said above I think he needs guidance on dealing with sports media. The headline article on bbc sport is now about Villa and Hollis talking to Pat Murphy. If you ignore his comments about Lerner he does say some valid points but the headline still reads "Villa in Crisis - new chairman". 

28 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

What we really need is scouts and people who can deal with agents properly as all that matters is on the pitch, not some bloated business/management structure.

You mean a change in infrastructure which is exactly what he said they were going to do?

Are people actually reading these statements/interviews or just jumping in to angry mode?

• Like 2

the problem is people have been saying we have no infrastructure since about 2008 and nothing has been done about it. Find it hard to believe that would change now

I wonder if any other club in top 2 divisions in England is so badly mismanaged maybe Leeds and Sunderland but that be it

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree. That seems to be what he's saying if people can stop grinding their teeth for 5 seconds.

He's not syaing we'll never spend again. he's saying if we spend we need to make sure we spend it properly and not waste it.

Just the other day someone posted in the Lerner thread showing how much money we've wasted and everybody lolled and joked about it.

Now we have someone saying we want to make sure that doesn't happen and everyone is up in arms about it.

I genuinely think this guy could have given a Martin Luther King greatest speech of all time and this thread would still be full of vitriol. It doesn't matter what he says, a large part of the fanbase have lost so much faith with anyone at the club that it will fall on deaf ears.

I get it. Times are tough, and I understand why people would have very little faith in the people running this club.

But I like to think we can at least give someone a chance before we start throwing embarrassing personal insults at people.

I totally endorse all of that....we need to find a way of what money we have got working for us.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for this guy.

I feel a bit sorry for us Villa fans having heard what he has said since his appointment. As far as he is concerned no doubt he is being paid very well for passing on the bad news and taking the flak for saying what the "custodian" tells him to say.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

the problem is people have been saying we have no infrastructure since about 2008 and nothing has been done about it. Find it hard to believe that would change now

I wonder if any other club in top 2 divisions in England is so badly mismanaged maybe Leeds and Sunderland but that be it

Working in Leeds and seeing the state of their fan base, how broken down they are and almost accepting that their fate is not going to change anytime soon.

Most of them left anger behind years ago as they know it was futile. They now just look depressed.

I dread to think that Villa could head this way.

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we need to be prudent, I expect us in the Championship for a very very long time. Its not gonna get any easier to get back in the Premier league, its gonna take money spent, that's the only way.

Money in isolation won't fix it....it needs to be bonded with prudent talent spotting.

we have evidence of that.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You mean a change in infrastructure which is exactly what he said they were going to do?

Are people actually reading these statements/interviews or just jumping in to angry mode?

Which is what Fox said before him.

• Like 1

I think, when your new chairman appears to think you are a top 6 side there is plenty of scope for teeth grinding. But leaving that slip aside for a moment there is still plenty of issue to be taken with the rest of what he said.

It is all well and good him saying that we will spend again but it can't be wasted but as I've said elsewhere, how is that going to be stopped exactly? The way he is speaking it is as if the last 10 years had nothing to do with Lerner.

How can he possibly have any credibility talking about the need to set the right structure in the club when he is working for a guy who has chronically failed to do it to date. Are we supposed to just ignore the fact that not so long ago we had the appointment of Fox and very very similar words about the need for structure. Nothing has changed, nothing if anything its got worse. Are we supposed to believe Hollis is going to be the man to change that?

It is all very well him or anyone else talking about the money wasted but if doing so it needs to be done in context. If you appoint a manager like Houllier you have to do so knowing he had a very chequered track record with transfers, you have to accept that putting him in charge of a squad built by O'Neill is going to cause issues as is flip flopping from Houllier to McLeish. I mean seriously, where is the method or structure in moving between those three managers? That is always going to result in money being waisted.

And what about Lerner's impact on that money being waisted? His decision to allow spending to get out of hand then to cut back quite so dramatically had a direct impact on our decisions on players. Decisions on players were made because of the wages they were on, players were allowed to leave on free's at the end of contracts in order to reduce the wage bill. 

Yes we've spent a lot of money still in recent years but we've done so in relatively small amounts each year in terms of net spend while trying to replace large numbers of players and to try and replace them with very cheap gambles. We've tried to do it on the cheap and tried to find players to make a profit on and we've ended up waisting money, that is at least in part on Lerner.

I know for absolute certainty that Lambert rarely if ever got the players he wanted, instead getting the cheapest options and the players who were sometimes 3rd or 4th choice. That wasted money. I'm not absolving managers of blame but Hollis is absolving Lerner, Fox and Faulkner before him of blame for their part in the utter shambles that has been the running of our club, that is what is making me grind my teeth.

Its absolutely patronising BS and it is taking the fans for idiots. Lerner has been here 10 years, if there is a lack of structure at the club that is down to him. Why on earth should anyone take him or his new mouth piece seriously when they say they are going to focus on sorting that? Especially when they appear to be saying they won't be spending much money in the meantime as we lurch towards the Championship because of Lerner and his various previous appointments and the financial mess his miss management has created.

The problem is there is no responsibility taken by those running the club and there is even less credibility and Hollis has already blown his with the stuff he has come out with in the first week. It just sounds cheap, it sounds like excuses, it sounds like the emperors new clothes and it sounds like the same old same old nonsense we've all heard before.

You say whatever he says he would get stick and perhaps that is true but I tell you what, if I were him I'd have had a difficult conversation with Lerner and told him I was going to throw him under the bus. If this guy really is here to turn it around he needed to come out and be honest and acknowledge the mistakes of Lerner, Faulkner, Fox and not just blame the managers and this mythical structure that has had nothing to do with anyone at the club previously as if it was something they inherited and had no power over.

His words are disingenuous, they are patronising, they are bordering on deluded. The man is out of his depth in my view and his initial gambits at communicating with the fans show that to be the case.

If I sound angry it is because I am, I'm livid not that we are going down but that someone like this rocks up, treats the fans like idiots and spouts this rubbish.

Super article ,It's as simple as you said the club has been run horribly since Lerner came why will things change suddenly I can't see how they will until Lerner goes he cannot be defened the evidence is in the results and we are in awful position .The point about the managers and styles being the polar opposites of each other was excellent that will tell you there is no plan or structure to the club

Â