Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The bit - "we intend to restore Aston Villa FC to its rightful place". All well and good, but what we really want to know is how! A simple statement of intent from Randy Lerner outlining his plans to do this is what we've all been crying out for.

Where are you Randy? Where are you? 

Edit: I read that back in the voice of Delia, maybe we should get her on the megaphone at the Southampton game. 

As they used to say in maths class at school, it's no good just filling out the answer, you need to show your workings out.

Empty words are nothing without assuring us that there's a plan.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

You know what, I'm not really sure why people are wanting any kind of statement from Randy. 

When Randy hired Hollis as the chairman, I saw that as a way of Randy saying "this is me handing all responsibility over to someone else". I'd be surprised if we ever heard from Randy again until the point where the club is sold. 

That's exactly what Lerner did. All he does now is own the wallet. Which ultimately means he has the power still but he's not actually making the decisions beyond the budget. And it's arguable that the aim, if intensely naive, is to cut that tie as well and have the club pay its own way.

Hollis runs the club now. The money he has to do it comes from Lerner. It's Lerner washing his hands of his property to let someone else waste their time making it sellable.

• Like 2

The worst part of Hollis letter is the suggestion that they are trying to establish the root cause of our problems. The root cause is pretty obvious.

Lerner has made bad decisions on staff appointments and how he spent his money. Those staff have made bad decisions on staff appointments and how they spent the money available.

So...the root cause is Lerner and the people Lerner appoints.

Just remind me, who appointed Hollis?

At the time of writing I am not worried about Premiership relegation. Its getting together a team that will not bw involved in a relegation struggle NEXT year. 

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The worst part of Hollis letter is the suggestion that they are trying to establish the root cause of our problems. The root cause is pretty obvious.

Lerner has made bad decisions on staff appointments and how he spent his money. Those staff have made bad decisions on staff appointments and how they spent the money available.

At the time of writing I am not worried about Premiership relegation. Its getting together a team that will not bw involved in a relegation struggle NEXT year. 

As it stands I'm worried about next season, our transfers into the club have been poor for quite a few seasons. The lack of leadership on the pitch is blindingly obvious and it has showed in the results. We have nobody to command the defence and keep them in line, and nobody to run the midfield and give them a kick up the arse when their heads drop. I'd love some undiscovered talent to come in with the little funds we're bound to have, but I'd love to see a real grafter come in after all this time without any. Then again we could end up with a Lee Cattermole :/

38 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Talk about an awkward meeting :)

Ah, yes, so , well, eh... Mr Lerner. We've found the root of the problem and, eh, how do I say this.... Turns out the problem is you.

Fancy that, eh...

I'll see myself out.

• Like 4

I disagree with almost every single one of those 'corrections'. There's nothing wrong with reduced relative clauses, and I'm yet to hear a single convincing difference between 'while' or 'whilst' as conjunctions, except that 'whilst' sounds more pretentious. The semi-colon is just wrong. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I disagree with almost every single one of those 'corrections'. There's nothing wrong with reduced relative clauses, and I'm yet to hear a single convincing difference between 'while' or 'whilst' as conjunctions, except that 'whilst' sounds more pretentious. The semi-colon is just wrong. 

Sorry, I was having a dig at the whole state of affairs if I'm honest.  I wasn't serious (and yes, I know the semi-colon was wrong).  I'm sorry if it offended you.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trekka said:

Sorry, I was having a dig at the whole state of affairs if I'm honest.  I wasn't serious (and yes, I know the semi-colon was wrong).  I'm sorry if it offended you.   

LOL, sorry, I know I'm a full on 'grammar bore'. Can't help myself! 

8 minutes ago, trekka said:

I think C- is generous for the state of affairs!

I know it's very easy to rip apart any communication or actions that AVFC come up with these days. It's quite cathartic if nothing else. But Hollis's statement has given me a bit of hope. No doubt I'm clutching at straws but Villa have been such a hopeless cause over the past few years I'll take anything.

• With this coming from Hollis, and the silence even more deafening from Lerner, it's a bit of hope that the story Lerner is holding up an appointment is incorrect.
  • It's everything I want in communication from the club. It's straight down the line. No ridiculous mentions of biblical figures we've got to Google. It's thoughts, intentions and - importantly for a club that has almost taken pride in not telling supports what is going on - it's kept us up to date without giving away private details - namely that the search for a new manager has at least begun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

You know what, I'm not really sure why people are wanting any kind of statement from Randy. 

When Randy hired Hollis as the chairman, I saw that as a way of Randy saying "this is me handing all responsibility over to someone else". I'd be surprised if we ever heard from Randy again until the point where the club is sold. 

So why is it being reported that they cannot get on with the new manager process/selection till Lerner tells them the budget? Bluntly he hasn't handed over all responsibility in anything but name. He still pulls the strings. 

11 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

So why is it being reported that they cannot get on with the new manager process/selection till Lerner tells them the budget? Bluntly he hasn't handed over all responsibility in anything but name. He still pulls the strings. 

Because it's most likely media rubbish? 

You can see why we've appointed a chairman can't you? So Randy doesn't have to front up grow a pair and give an explanation. Just cant shake the feeling that the way we are run wont really change but the "football board" is an attempt to stop the fans anger from escalating from the already poisonous state its in now.

Â