Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Def one more for midfield.  A loan keeper would be good.  Anything else is just gravy.

It does seem that we'll be looking to win every game 5-4 which will be fun, if a bit tense.

We haven't really made the midfield any stronger which is going to be our downfall. De Leat was a bizarre signing as he doesn't improve the right back area at all and the keeper doesn't look too convincing either. We are also light in the wide areas. I don't think we are in great shape to be honest 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

We haven't really made the midfield any stronger which is going to be our downfall. De Leat was a bizarre signing as he doesn't improve the right back area at all and the keeper doesn't look too convincing either. We are also light in the wide areas. I don't think we are in great shape to be honest 

We've signed Tish and Jedinak, I'd say that's improving the midfield and how you can say that De Laet isn't an improvement on Hutton is crazy.

I do agree with the wider areas though. I think the only explanation is that RDM doesn't want to play with wingers which would make sense as he has Grealish and Ayew on the left and right respectively as it stands.

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

Each to their own.

I don't personally agree with any of the above though expect perhaps the lack of natural width.

• Like 1

Summer signings to date (hopefully I've not missed any out):

Gollini

Elphick

Chester

De Laet

Tshibola

Jedinak

McCormack

Kodjia

I don't think many of us would be overly excited if we signed any of this lot 12 months ago in order to stave off yet another relegation haunted season so I don't think we should put too much pressure on them to be flying albeit we are now in the Championship. We have 8 more league games to play, more local derbies and we are a 'scalp' for most of the small fry in this division. The best we can hope for is that the above personnel (along with a few existing players) can gel into a solid team because they sure aren't top quality and going to set the world alight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes would have been nice but realistically LB would have been way down the list. 

Agreed. I'm just looking forward to us being in a position where we are identifying these up and coming young players from lower leagues who are actually good. Spurs seem pretty good at doing that.

However, as you say, definitely not a priority for now.

27 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Rico Henry off to Brentford. Shame, would be a good signing for us.

Cissokho,  Amavi and Baker capable of taking that role,  we have priorities elsewhere right now

Just now, Richard said:

Cissokho,  Amavi and Baker capable of taking that role,  we have priorities elsewhere right now

Yep, was thinking more as a "one for the future" type signing. Permanent deal and loan him out kind of thing. Still we've done great business so far so no complaints from me.

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Would anyone, outside of the Irish supporters club that we have, be happy if we were to sign Alan Judge? He scored 14 league goals from AM last season.

BTW: That's no ITK sh1t right there so please don't go investing your wages on it guys! Just a question regarding another club's AM that scored plenty of goals last season.

Was pretty unlucky to pick up a horrendous injury when it looked like he was about to book a place on the plane for the Euros.

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

Not sure I agree with that.   I think the only disappointing thing about our midfield business is we lost Gana permanently.

We have signed a huge talent in Tshibola who will be better than Delph IMO and in Jedinak we have a player we have lacked in our midfield for five years,  a leader.  So for me our midfield has improved. I would agree that wide midfield needs improving and I believe our next signing will be in that position.  But in Jedinak and Tshibola I believe we have the two best players in those positions in the league

De Laet is far superior to Hutton at right back merely because he isnt Hutton.  He is also better than Bacuna who I think will feature as midfield back up this season anyway.

Our defence is the best in the league IMO and in Kodjia, Gestede, Mccormack and Ayew we have 42M of best forward line in this division.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Apparently we've spent more than AC Milan and Real Madrid combined.

And yet we sit 16th in the championship. A lot of people are saying we are pulling a QPR. Signing a lot of players who won't end up gelling. 

Very excited about the signings and over the moon that the club is showing ambition for the first time in ages, BUT, I am pretty sure we will regret not adding wingers, all good having good strikers, you need someone to create chances, looking at Kodija highlights, he seems to enjoy crosses (similarly as Gestede) and it also looks like from stats that crosses are the most effective way of scoring and we still do not have one proper winger in the club, Grealish is more of an attacking midfielder who likes to turn inside the pitch and Ayew is a striker how also likes to turn inside the pitch, Green is young and unproven and will mostly only be a bit player this year. Wingers, most effective, easiest way of attacking and we haven't had one for ages, just cannot understand it.please please please bring in a winger or two, we cannot rely on our fullbacks to be all the way up the pitch and to track all the way back on their own.

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

We've signed Tish and Jedinak, I'd say that's improving the midfield 

But lost Gana, Gil, Sanchez, Sinclair and probably Traore.

I'd have Hutton ahead of De Laet as well.

We're also a lot weaker at CB in quality and depth.