Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

So what's the something more important than players that needs to be solved? We've got new manager and coaching staff, a Technical Director, to be announced, a CEO. Can't really think of much else. It's another role at the club, because he mentions getting the right people in.

Just now, useless said:

So what's the something more important than players that needs to be solved? We've got new manager and coaching staff, a Technical Director, to be announced, a CEO. Can't really think of much else. It's another role at the club, because he mentions getting the right people in.

Players mentality/attitude perhaps???

• Like 4

It's not MY money so I shouldn't care, and it's not the clubs fault, it's regrettably the industry going rate, but when it comes to spending

1)12m on a 30 year old striker who has never played at the top level

2) potentially paying 12-16m for a lad from Bristol City who, i hold my hands up, had never heard of until we were linked (havent been such a close follower of Championship level football while blessed with Premier League season after season)

then it really is a crazy time we are living in. No offence to either McCormack or Kodija there but those fees are crazy, going rate or not. Thanks to Tony though for sanctioning the deals. The guys mega rich and all, but he is a businessman who probably became wealthy by having good business acumen to know value for money or not and not going gung ho for the short term then throwing good money after bad (metaphorial bad, not that our signings are bad). I hope in time, he doesnt get impatient at the return on his investments. It is a results driven business and we clearly need time to not just gel, but to shake off this haunting on the club. It's not just the bad smell from the bomb squad, but there's something else there isnt there.

Anyway, on a positive note, imagine this... If, "we" can afford to splash out the two fees above, imagine what it will be like in the future. Hopefully with a Technical Director in post and maybe a revised scouting network, a 12m Mccormack sized fee here and there in each transfer window on future prospects that have been fully researched and scouted and transacted behind the scenes, that's a future I hope for. Look at Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Milan, Bayern whoever else... They have an infrastructure, to snap up the best of the best at a young age.

They dont wait for players to get a rep, they scout them see the potential and jump in. They mess around by loaning them out (sometimes to get then work-permitted) but players like that would hopefully find more first team football. Like the next Shearer of Argentina, the next Viera of Brazil, the next Giggs of Uruguay... that'll be us. And of course in our divisions, us, buying the Will Hughes' of this world in their teens, the John Stones' and so forth and so forth.

Failing that, dear Technical Director or Tony, just get FM

Get Genie Scout

Search all uner 21s worldwide by potential abiity

Make a list

Place some bids

Youth us up with some domestic and worldwide wonderkids. Im joking. or am i !

Edited by Midfielder
typos
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

I assume you're referring to the "Takes time 2get all right ppl" part. I read that as "it takes time to get all working as it should, folks".

Possibly meaning that the new players need time to gel - getting to know each other, their individual preferences, strengths and weaknesses - and of course their individual roles in the manager's tactical set-up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I not moaning. I'm just realistic. It has served me very well in my life. Taking ones head out of the clouds can be very liberating. Try it sometime. I'm not going to pretend things aren't bloody awful at the club I love when they clearly are.

On another note, since you got personal, I run an international travel company and have visited over 100 countries so I suspect I have far more fun than most. But thanks for your concern.

Because I don't moan about everything, my head is in the clouds? I can guarantee you I am just as concerned.... But you have to get on with life instead of moaning about the same things over and over again. Try and be positive or it'll all just get you down man. What's the point without a bit of positivity? Eg... Gollini hasn't started very well, but he's only 21 and settling in. How about we give him just a small chance? Have you criticised the defenders who didn't follow in as much as gollini? I doubt it.

Anyway, I'm not going to give you a life story, because I'm sure to a well travelled man like yourself... My life is just plain dull.

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No problem at all.. Just don't get why you'd want someone who's goal scoring record is awful

And internation managers and Koeman (one of the best managers in the PL) pick him.....if you know your football you will see how much space and freedom he creates for others.....its not all about goalscoring.....see Gestede as a perfect example. If you dont put it on a plate for him he becomes invisible!  Kone would create numerous chances for McCormack et al and chip in with a few at this level.   Moreover, its very little risk if its only a loan deal!

would love to see who you would go for, given our current position?

13 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

It's not MY money so I shouldn't care, and it's not the clubs fault, it's regrettably the industry going rate, but when it comes to spending

1)12m on a 30 year old striker who has never played at the top level

2) 12-16m for a lad from Bristol City who, i hold my hands up, had never heard of until we were linked (havent been such a close follower of Championship level football while blessed with Premier League season after season)

then it really is a crazy time we are living in. No offence to either McCormack or Kodija there but those fees are crazy, going rate or not. Thanks to Tony though for sanctioning the deals. The guys mega rich and all, but he is a businessman who probably became wealthy by having good business acumen to know value for money or not and not going gung ho for the short term then throwing good money after bad (metaphorial bad, not that our signings are bad). I hope in time, he doesnt get impatient at the return on his investments. It is a results driven business and we clearly need time to not just gel, but to shake off this haunting on the club. It's not just the bad smell from the bomb squad, but there's something else there isnt there.

Anyway, on a positive note, imagine this... If, "we" can afford to splash out the two fees above, imagine what it will be like in the future. Hopefully with a Technical Director in post and maybe a revised scouting network, a 12m Mccormack sized fee here and there in each transfer window on future prospects that have been fully researched and scouted and transacted behind the scenes, that's a future I hope for. Look at Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Milan, Bayern whoever else... They have an infrastructure, to snap up the best of the best at a young age.

They dont wait for players to get a rep, they scout them see the potential and jump in. They mess around by loaning them out (sometimes to get then work-permitted) but players like that would hopefully find more first team football. Like the next Shearer of Argentina, the next Viera of Brazil, the next Giggs of Uruguay... that'll be us. And of course in our divisions, us, buying the Will Hughes' of this world in their teens, the John Stones' and so forth and so forth.

Failing that, dear Technical Director or Tony, just get FM

Get Genie Scout

Search all uner 21s worldwide by potential abiity

Make a list

Place some bids

Youth us up with some domestic and worldwide wonderkids. Im joking. or am i !

How you know itskodiija?

Given the swiftness of the appointments of the directors, the management and coaching team, it's a shame they didnt appoint the Technical Director in time to add something else even if just extra personnel to the buying process to aid us in the window. I think the Technical Director will kind of have a lead in scouting policy too so at least that's there in the medium term. Unless the TD they want is contracted and they#ve had to patiently wait for them.

I think Tony and the team are placing a lot of value in this mythical TD position and that is actually promising, as it sounds like they will have an important remit in driving the club forward. RDM for the management of the playing staff and the TD for a lot of the rest. It is this "the rest" that this club has been devoid of for years, we have been left behind by other Premier League teams. The ahem best, we have had is Reilly f f sake and clearly he was the wrong man.

In time, it will be less of a task for Tony to be the one working hardest on transfers and I think that's what he wants. He has invested a lot of time at the start. I dont think he will do a Lerner but lets face it, the appointment of a good TD will allow him to go back to allocatin a little more time to his other business ventures that will in turn keep his money rolling in and enabling us to keep splashing out on players we need and driving us forward.

There will be a time in the future, somewhere between the medium and long term (or within five years if you believe Tony) where we wont be playing secnd fiddle in the transfer market, we will be competitive pioneers in worldwide leagues, a claret and blue vulture with a large chequebook snapping up the best prospects and bringing them here. For now we can make do with our getting-us-out-of-this-division signings.

If they cant find a Technical Director I'll offer my services. Yes Mr Next Ronaldo, Birmingham is the New London, Paris and Milan all in one. Broad Street is the classiest location for watering holes, Star City the primo site of all things entertainment, The Fort is THE place for all your shopping needs and if you want to snack out may I suggest the super hygienic Martineau Square KFC. We have it all here. Now sign here and I'll remove the electrodes.

Vote Midfielder for Technical Director.

• Like 1