How Much Do You Drink?

maqroll

How Much Do You Drink?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Alcoholic Beverages Do You Consume in an Average Week?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • Over 40
    • NONE

In the week: Two beers or ales per night, with a glass of wine later if there's any in the fridge.

Weekend ; Friday sometimes I'll have half a bottle of vodka after a beer, with redbull. Or a bottle of wine. Saturday & Sunday just a couple of ales.

I am quite moderate compared to back in 2007/08 when I was getting through 4 litres of cider per night, six litres on a weekend.

• Like 2

What is the legal definition of an alcoholic?  I honestly don't know, but if I were to guess, it would be >3 pints a night, for >4 times a week.

or >.5 of a bottle a wine per night, per person.

I bet it's not that formulaic though.

'Alcoholic' isn't even as simple as a numbers game.  It's the dependency and mental attitude towards drink.  I've had one relative who was an alcoholic and he literally had to have a drink first thing in the morning to stop the shakes.  Then there are others who are not dependent at all but who will properly binge whenever they are out and they're out quite regularly.  So to add up the pints per week of both types might be similar, but there's a world of a difference between them.  One can go days or weeks without.  The other can't.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BOF said:

'Alcoholic' isn't even as simple as a numbers game.  It's the dependency and mental attitude towards drink.  I've had one relative who was an alcoholic and he literally had to have a drink first thing in the morning to stop the shakes.  Then there are others who are not dependent at all but who will binge whenever near the stuff.  So to add up the pints per week of both types might be similar, but there's a world of a difference between them.  One can go days or weeks without.  The other can't.

I was going to post pretty much the same thing, but Bri has summed it up better.

I would say dependency is a major part of the alcoholic definition.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I bet a very large percentage of the population would go to pieces if alcohol vanished 1 day. Its not usually a problem until it goes or if it cannot be had any more (cost).

See Ireland and Good Friday.  Legally one of only 2 'dry days' a year (the other being Christmas Day) and yet it's one of the biggest drinking days on the calendar.  Tell us we can't have it and we will wreck ourselves on it.

• Like 1

Mon-Thurs: 2-3 glasses of wine a night (dependent on levels of stress).

Fridays - 1-2 bottles of beer at 'drinks o'clock' at work.  Couple of cocktails at home with the missus.  Maybe a glass of wine.

Sat-Sun: Couple of glasses of wine.  Maybe one with lunch if we have a roast.

8 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't drink much. 

Sometimes I'll have a whiskey on a week night, but that's maybe once every couple of months.  I've got about 6 bottles of unopened whiskey.

If I go out to drink (such as the pub crawl last week), then I'll have a drink in every pub we go to, I think it was probably about 8 pints throughout the day (inc a couple of margaritas).

I might occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner on a weekend, but I can't remember when I last did that.

I probably drink more prosecco/champagne for occasions than I do wine.  Me and the Mrs had a bottle of prosecco when the Bake Off programme was on.

Beer, when I'm out in a pub I'll have a couple, if I'm not driving.

I dunno, I'm very irregular when it comes to drinking.  It doesn't bother me not drinking in the slightest, but if I go out for a pub crawl (about 2/3 times a year), then I'll drink quite a lot (for me).

6 bottles of unopened whiskey! right i know where im going for an xmas drink.

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

In the week: Two beers or ales per night, with a glass of wine later if there's any in the fridge.

Weekend ; Friday sometimes I'll have half a bottle of vodka after a beer, with redbull. Or a bottle of wine. Saturday & Sunday just a couple of ales.

I am quite moderate compared to back in 2007/08 when I was getting through 4 litres of cider per night, six litres on a weekend.

bloody hell rob your alcohol intake a few years ago was really bad.

ive been told by the doc im an alcoholic but most people are these days if you go by the book. i definitely know im not an alcoholic as i can go weeks and in the past months without it(not by choice though) but yeah no way could i stop altogether so id say ive got a drink problem but definitely no alcoholic. i think you have different levels of alcoholism and my mum is what id say is at the lower scale of being an alcoholic.

18 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Almost nothing.

When I go out I'll drink a lot, but that's not that often anymore.

I never have the urge to drink at home

I'm with this. But I generally have a blow out once a week. Other than that, I don't drink at all.