Paul McGrath

TRO

On 05/12/2018 at 10:30, AvfcRigo82 said:

I will always remember being in a Hotel near Cromer in 1994 watching Italy vs Ireland in the USA World Cup and seeing a 34/35 yr old McGrath play an absolute brilliant game keeping a great Italian team quiet. What a display at that really was and at that age, on that stage against such a team.

..and he was carrying an injury going into that game.

slightly biased but I would say its one of the greatest individual performances in World Cup history

• Like 3

Paul McGrath read the game so well and therefore knew what forwards were going to do before most of them knew what they were going to do themselves. He made the game seem easy and was so comfortable on the ball and unhurried. I rate him in the same class as Bobby Moore and that is as high as the art of defending gets.

As far as how he compares to defenders that have played since he hung up his boots, I think what Bill Shankly once said about Tom Finney fits nicely. He was asked in the 70s whether Tony Currie could be compared to Finney. Shanks replied, "Aye, he compares all right. But Tom is getting on for 60." ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

slightly biased but I would say its one of the greatest individual performances in World Cup history

I'm English, and no, you're not being biased, just an absolute giant of a performance from a giant of a man. Legend. Imagine what he'd go for today!!

14 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I loved Laursen, but I'd have placed Sid and He Who Walks on Water alongside McGrath - well, standing behind him - as the top 3.

To be honest in my humble opinion as good as they were I don't believe Sid or Brian were world class footballers - Sid was closer than Brian in my view. Laursen I do honestly believe he was world class - he was the nearest thing I have ever seen to Paul.

i'd go a far as to say Paul was up there with the likes of Moore, Beckenbauher ( not sure if I have spelt this right).

His country of choosing did not allow him to be seen as the true world class performer that he was - in no way is this a sleight at ROI - just his lack of exposure on the world scene.

Jack - built a fine team at one stage.

12 hours ago, Dave J said:

To be honest in my humble opinion as good as they were I don't believe Sid or Brian were world class footballers - Sid was closer than Brian in my view. Laursen I do honestly believe he was world class - he was the nearest thing I have ever seen to Paul.

i'd go a far as to say Paul was up there with the likes of Moore, Beckenbauher ( not sure if I have spelt this right).

His country of choosing did not allow him to be seen as the true world class performer that he was - in no way is this a sleight at ROI - just his lack of exposure on the world scene.

I agree, you have to have a presence to be considered World class. Gascoigne had it, so did Bryan Robson to some extent, but Paul certainly had it. By far the greatest player to don the claret and blue of Aston Villa.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree, you have to have a presence to be considered World class. Gascoigne had it, so did Bryan Robson to some extent, but Paul certainly had it. By far the greatest player to don the claret and blue of Aston Villa.

Without a shadow of doubt - it's just a pity that Paul does not get the recognition that he richly deserves 

41 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Without a shadow of doubt - it's just a pity that Paul does not get the recognition that he richly deserves 

I think his personal issues and fact he was at Villa and not United. 

Lets be honest only for his personal issues he would have never been allowed leave United

Edited by Zatman

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think his personal issues and fact he was at Villa and not United. 

Lets be honest only for his personal issues he would have never been allowed leave United

To be honest Zatman - I think I read somewhere that united wanted him to retire because of his ongoing battle to nurse his knees in order that they could claim the insurance monies - thankfully Paul and Graham Taylor ( RIP) had a different view.

On 08/12/2018 at 05:27, Dave J said:

To be honest Zatman - I think I read somewhere that united wanted him to retire because of his ongoing battle to nurse his knees in order that they could claim the insurance monies - thankfully Paul and Graham Taylor ( RIP) had a different view.

There was definitely a hard drinking culture at man ure then. Whiteside, Moses, Robson and God being central figures. 

It's probably a combination of dodgy knees and his fondness for a pint that saw God out of the door. 

£400,000 for a world class player. Daylight robbery 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

There was definitely a hard drinking culture at man ure then. Whiteside, Moses, Robson and God being central figures. 

It's probably a combination of dodgy knees and his fondness for a pint that saw God out of the door. 

£400,000 for a world class player. Daylight robbery 😂

How on earth did fergie in all his wisdom sanction this 😀

33 minutes ago, Dave J said:

How on earth did fergie in all his wisdom sanction this 😀

Fergie was determined to break the drinking culture, so the core boozers had to go. I think he would have tried to hang on to Macca if it wasn’t for his dodgy knees. Those knees, Graham Taylor, Jim Walker and of course the determination and immense talent of the great man himself, ensured that all the stars were aligned to create a Villa legend. 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 06:11, Dave J said:

I thought Laursen was brilliant but both fit and 100% it's McGrath all day for me. He would of made it in Italy too back in the day imo when it was a notoriously tough league.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

Â