Paul McGrath

TRO

I started following villa mid way through the 92/93 season. Was football mad even then but it was McGrath that sold it for me when it came to villa. My folks didn't have Sky so most of what i did get to see was match of the day and our UEFA cup matches live on itv. Still sticks in the memory, our one nil loss to inter away when we done them on penalties( they were defending champions) Paul was immense. Berkgamp looked so disheartened...until his late penalty of course. McGrath, our greatest ever player imo.

51 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I thought Lauren was brilliant but both fit and 100% it's McGrath all day for me. He would of made it in Italy too back in the day imo when it was a notoriously tough league.

Oh gosh without question - Laursen is second to McGrath by some distance. He was still world class though.

As for Paul - he would have made it anywhere in the world. The guy was a genuine world class performer.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Great write up on F365 today

https://www.football365.com/news/everybody-loves-paul-mcgrath-manchester-united-aston-villa-ireland

“Ooh ahh, Paul McGrath,”

Paul McGrath is – almost unbelievably – a 60-year-old Irishman who played for St Patrick’s Athletic, Manchester United, Aston Villa, Derby County and Sheffield United. He was undoubtedly one of the best central defenders to grace a football field in the modern era. That he achieved this whilst struggling against seemingly permanent injury and the ravages of an especially vicious alcohol addiction makes his story all the more remarkable.

He was originally a midfielder and even when he went into the backline, that sensibility and instinct didn’t leave him. His ability to calmly and effectively distribute the ball became one of his many hallmarks....

more on link

• Thanks 2

There is a documentary on youtube on Mcgrath probably from Irish TV as it was mostly about his international career. Jack Charlton loved him and said basically he could play anywhere in defence and central midfield.  In his book Mcgrath said he always got his name wrong but that was  bit of  a act and Charlton knew his onions. When he first came into the side Ireland had a lot of really good centre halves in O'Leary, Lawrenson, Kevin Moran and  er Mick Mcarthey so he had to play central mid. 

I mean he basically marked out Roberto  Baggio who was probably the best player of the 94 world cup when he was at the fag end of his career with two knackered knees and a frozen shoulder. Genius. Jim Walker needs a shout out for prolonging Macca career. I don't think he had any knee bother at Villa at all as he basically didn't train!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is a documentary on youtube on Mcgrath probably from Irish TV as it was mostly about his international career. Jack Charlton loved him and said basically he could play anywhere in defence and central midfield.  In his book Mcgrath said he always got his name wrong but that was  bit of  a act and Charlton knew his onions. When he first came into the side Ireland had a lot of really good centre halves in O'Leary, Lawrenson, Kevin Moran and  er Mick Mcarthey so he had to play central mid. 

I mean he basically marked out Roberto  Baggio who was probably the best player of the 94 world cup when he was at the fag end of his career with two knackered knees and a frozen shoulder. Genius. Jim Walker needs a shout out for prolonging Macca career. I don't think he had any knee bother at Villa at all as he basically didn't train!

Don't forget add all beer'd up to the list of things to as he loved a drink before match time didnt he, Mcgrath was an excellent player, they sure dont come like that anymore do they.

Maybe that's what our players need, some drunkard training from McGrath.

Edited by Dave-R

I heard Ian Rush say on Talksport today that Paul and Franco Baresi, were the two toughest defenders he had played against. He added that Paul "he's absolutely amazing and I think that's one of the reasons why it took me so long to score against Manchester United..but he was a gentleman as well, you know you get players that kick you from behind, talk to you and all that, Paul never said a word and at the end of the game, I'l never forget Paul McGrath always came up to me in the Irish accent and said "tank you very much Mr Rush" and that bugged me so much after the game..he was an absolutely quality player". :thumb:

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Don't forget add all beer'd up to the list of things to as he loved a drink before match time didnt he, Mcgrath was an excellent player, they sure dont come like that anymore do they.

Maybe that's what our players need, some drunkard training from McGrath.

You can't teach what he had, I know that's a cliche, but it's absolutely true. 

Paul, was never afraid to get those dodgy knees dirty but he rarely had to because he had such wonderful anticipation. We resurrected his career and he's never forgotten that, hence why he loves Villa, first and foremost.

Also, the only defender who I've seen beat Andy Gray to every header for an entire game : the 1984 FA cup final between Everton and Man United. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Paul, was never afraid to get those dodgy knees dirty but he rarely had to because he had such wonderful anticipation. We resurrected his career and he's never forgotten that, hence why he loves Villa, first and foremost.

Also, the only defender who I've seen beat Andy Gray to every header for an entire game : the 1984 FA cup final between Everton and Man United. 

I was four years old then, so I'll take your word for it. Would be lovely to see some footage of that though, bet it was a sight to see. Unfortunately I was in secondary school towards the end of Paul's Villa days and even then I fell in love with the blokes talent.

Edited by Dave-R

43 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

In fairness I think his preference when leaving for United was  to go to Spurs but I think we paid more. He also nearly went to Celtic before Big Ron came in but Villa in hindsight was the right club for him at that time. With the London nightlife I don't think he would have lasted at Spurs for more than a couple of seasons.

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

In fairness I think his preference when leaving for United was  to go to Spurs but I think we paid more. He also nearly went to Celtic before Big Ron came in but Villa in hindsight was the right club for him at that time. With the London nightlife I don't think he would have lasted at Spurs for more than a couple of seasons.

McGrath and Gazza under watching Venables. What could have went wrong

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Was an interview in Ireland where he said best compliment he ever got was that he won the ball but took Andy Gray out at same time. 

Rest of game Gray tried to hurt him. Shows character of McGrath also Gray who always came across as a prick

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Was an interview in Ireland where he said best compliment he ever got was that he won the ball but took Andy Gray out at same time. 

Rest of game Gray tried to hurt him. Shows character of McGrath also Gray who always came across as a prick

A bit harsh on Andy in my opinion. He was a hero of the Holte too and I found him to be not a bad bloke on those occasions that our paths crossed, back in the day. 

1 hour ago, John said:

A bit harsh on Andy in my opinion. He was a hero of the Holte too and I found him to be not a bad bloke on those occasions that our paths crossed, back in the day. 

I just know him from his commentary, always a smug prick who never said much praise about us. Never mind his sexism 

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Big Ron, he sure knew how to lure players that he wanted, didnt he ambush a player at the airport on his way to a signing for some club and got him to sign for us instead???

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, John said:

A hero of mine too and in 1984 he was past his best. Also Gray wasn't even 6ft tall and remains the best and bravest header of the ball I have seen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Do you mean that Paul was going to leave us for Celtic before Big Ron came to the helm ?  It was Graham Taylor who signed him for us.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

A hero of mine too and in 1984 he was past his best. Also Gray wasn't even 6ft tall and remains the best and bravest header of the ball I have seen. 

I agree. One of the best songs we had was for Andy,  " oh Andy, oh Andy, your the greatest, the holte - end, say ". Remember when he would score in front of the Holte and raise those arms in salute to that wonderful, heaving terrace? Another one of ours who has never lost his love for the Villa.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree. One of the best songs we had was for Andy,  " oh Andy, oh Andy, your the greatest, the holte - end, say ". Remember when he would score in front of the Holte and raise those arms in salute to that wonderful, heaving terrace? Another one of ours who has never lost his love for the Villa.

If a cross came over you could guarantee he would get on the end of it. 76/77 he was amazing. One of few players to win both PFA awards at the same time. Would have been Interesting to see McGrath against him then when he could jump. 

• Like 1

Â