Paul McGrath

TRO

On 12/9/2015 at 18:23, Zatman said:

whenever he is interviewed on the radio he is the most humble guy ever when talking about their career

maybe not bring him in as defensive coach but maybe bring him back as a centre half instead of playing Clark

His Humility, paradoxically elevates his profile to a level few players could reach.....Colossal.

On the field ,One of the most consistent players I have ever seen......Off it, a true gentlemen.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I've just bought myself a 95/96 Home McGrath shirt. I owe it to the man as one of the reasons a young lad from the heart of Liverpool ended up supporting Aston Villa. Without him, and at the time, Dwight Yorke, I would never have been a Villa fan. I have to be, and am, most grateful for that.

I was out last night with a mate and some of his extended friends who I had never met - all Spuds fans. Upon arrival, it became apparently clear that the football banter had been pre-organised amongst friends and Villa were going to take a ribbing at my expense. Buying this shirt has made up for it but I've got to say, I did come away feeling a bit ganged up on even though I gave as good as I got. Suffice to say that, Hoddle, Waddle and Gascoigne were sufficiently hammered for being overrated. Cannot say I will be going out with those posh Newcastle fans again. 

Being European Cup Winners when it was actually a proper competition featured heavily. As did many player comparisons including God. 

What annoys me most about almost all Spuds fans I have come across is this arrogance that portrays them as winners in the same sense as an AC Milan, Manure, Plop etc. Some divine right or something. Oh - and then the affiliation to England. Darren Anderton etc. Bollox.

Has anybody watched the Irish show on YouTube praising God at the end of his career. John Aldridge makes a classic boo boo on it. Brilliant.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Had the pleasure of a few conversations with him on Twitter which made my month each time. 

We have officially communicated with God :)

Didn't have you down as a twitter user Trent!

33 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I had to sign up to abuse Lescott.

I'm not much into it but it has its moments, I detest it during transfer windows though when people post on here.

Yeah the transfer window period is a little bonkers, loads of retweeting of stupid accounts on twitter. 

• Like 1

I met God a few times in my duties as a matchday blazer boy posted on various corporate lounges and the old players' lounge and he sure is a charmer, softly spoken but with a cheeky glint in his eye the ladies there simply loved ! He had time for a chat and it often made me shake my head at lesser players in that lounge who acted as if they were on his level of achievement/ability, or even better. Alan Reeves of Wimbledon for example on the day we beat them 7-1.

Alan WHO ?

Exactly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes he's certainly the best defender to ever put on a Villa Shirt but the I would have Sid ahead of him as our best ever player. 

Sid was a fantastic footballer I totally agree with you - however I honestly would not say he was world class - whilst Macca was in my humble opinion.

14 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Sid was a fantastic footballer I totally agree with you - however I honestly would not say he was world class - whilst Macca was in my humble opinion.

It's a nice choice to make isn't it? I'm not sure who my choice would be. Sid Cowans was wonderful to watch, fantastic energy and his passing sublime. David Platt said his ambition when at Villa was to make a run that Sid didn't spot, he never managed it. I'd throw Sir Brian into the mix too. The shear excitement watching him run with the ball and knowing that just about anything could happen. Macca was......., I don't have the descriptive powers. A very happy and healthy Birthday to you Macca :)

Met him in the Aston Social on a tuesday night many moons ago.....shared a beer.

Top man.

Happy Birthday Paul

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Yes you are right Dave

Â