Paul McGrath

TRO

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

It's a nice choice to make isn't it? I'm not sure who my choice would be. Sid Cowans was wonderful to watch, fantastic energy and his passing sublime. David Platt said his ambition when at Villa was to make a run that Sid didn't spot, he never managed it. I'd throw Sir Brian into the mix too. The shear excitement watching him run with the ball and knowing that just about anything could happen. Macca was......., I don't have the descriptive powers. A very happy and healthy Birthday to you Macca :)

Absolutely a nice choice and we are privileged to have watched them both in the claret & Blue 

• 4 months later...

Quite simply world class - if Paul McGrath had been born English, German, Italian he would have been revered the the world over. I have seen a number of genuine world class performers at Villa park over the years and Paul is right up there with the very best of them.

our very own Martin Laursen was actually very close to being world class but for injuries as well. 

• Like 1

He is without doubt the Classiest defender in my time of supporting the Villa. I will never forget how easy he made the game look, always seemed to be in the right place, and will always remember him effortlessly back heeling crosses away from goal. Proper Legend!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 09/11/2015 at 10:20, Stevo985 said:

The assumption that a club legend as a player will make a good coach for the same club is rarely correct.

Although if there was one man I'd take the chance on it'd be God.

I agree or the great Ugo Ehiogu, shame he's gone may his soul rest in peace.

Edited by Dave-R

Happy Birthday my lord. :cheers:     Having seen many of his games in a Villa shirt, a special mention should also go out to Shaun Teale.   Absolutely fantastic partnership in defence and the best centre back partnership I have seen at Villa to date.  Quite simply God is a Villa legend and always will be. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s 22 years since Paul McGrath left Villa Park so a lot of Villa fans won’t have been fortunate enough to see him play. You have my sympathy.

That those who did watch him still call him God gives you an idea of how good he was, however good you imagine he was multiply it by two and you’ll be close. You have to be something special to earn a nickname like that, you have to be remarkable to keep it for 20+ years.

I often see people put Laursen on the same level or a similar level, good as he was he was nowhere near McGrath.

God played 250+ games for us, you could count his errors on one hand. He won two league cups with us and was voted the PFA player of the year.

Quite simply Laursen doesn’t really get close. People can talk about his injuries and what might have been and they would have a point but he never got remotely close to being PFA player of the year so I think it’s impossible to argue he was even close to reaching McGrath level.

The guy was the best CB I’ve seen in our colours by a mile and one of the best ever. He is also just about the nicest guy you could ever meet but was as tough as they come on the pitch.

Happy birthday God.

Who is the best player you've seen in our colours?

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s 22 years since Paul McGrath left Villa Park so a lot of Villa fans won’t have been fortunate enough to see him play. You have my sympathy.

That those who did watch him still call him God gives you an idea of how good he was, however good you imagine he was multiply it by two and you’ll be close. You have to be something special to earn a nickname like that, you have to be remarkable to keep it for 20+ years.

I often see people put Laursen on the same level or a similar level, good as he was he was nowhere near McGrath.

God played 250+ games for us, you could count his errors on one hand. He won two league cups with us and was voted the PFA player of the year.

Quite simply Laursen doesn’t really get close. People can talk about his injuries and what might have been and they would have a point but he never got remotely close to being PFA player of the year so I think it’s impossible to argue he was even close to reaching McGrath level.

The guy was the best CB I’ve seen in our colours by a mile and one of the best ever. He is also just about the nicest guy you could ever meet but was as tough as they come on the pitch.

Happy birthday God.

I think its hard to say when comparing cbs from a different era as the game nowdays is so much different to McGraths.

I'm not saying your point is invalid about how good McGrath was but I wouldnt compare him to laursen on that basis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its hard to say when comparing cbs from a different era as the game nowdays is so much different to McGraths.

I'm not saying your point is invalid about how good McGrath was but I wouldnt compare him to laursen on that basis.

Totally disagree.

I think the PFA award makes it easy. McGrath was voted the best player in the league by his  contemporaries. You can compare that to any player at any time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally disagree.

I think the PFA award makes it easy. McGrath was voted the best player in the league by his  contemporaries. You can compare that to any player at any time.

We will have to disagree then. As no one can tell me the football was the same then to what it is today. It's evolved greatly for better or worse. For example dives didn't exist in those days. There wasn't as much negative football as there is these days.

54 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Quite simply Laursen doesn’t really get close.

The guy was the best CB I’ve seen in our colours by a mile.

I agree, a great 'what might have been' tale for Laursen but that's all it can remain..  what if!

I would say Mellberg was in higher regard than Laursen in terms of who has been our best CB since god. It would be Mellberg but Big Mac still wins.

Happy Birthday.

• Like 1

Â