Paul McGrath

TRO

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Factually incorrect too. Ferdinand didn't cost £41m   . . think it was something like £29m from memory

Yes Leeds paid £18m for him then Man Utd £29m huge fees at the time, unreal to think it took us 20 years to catch up with those transfer fees

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes Leeds paid £18m for him then Man Utd £29m huge fees at the time, unreal to think it took us 20 years to catch up with those transfer fees

Yet it wasnt our fans storming the pitch complaining about lack of investment 😂

Im aware Glazers came later but didnt stop the spending 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet it wasnt our fans storming the pitch complaining about lack of investment 😂

Im aware Glazers came later but didnt stop the spending 

Imagine if they had Doug Ellis as owner , they would have probably burned the stadium down!

I can only think that Paul having played a lot of games in Division One, rather than spending most of his time in the PL may have counted against him. This whole "year zero" approach to any football played before the PL began really annoys me.  

Shearer and Lineker, are old enough to know better and should hold their heads in shame. Micah Richards probably just wanted to vote for himself. As for Pallister and Carvalho? :rolleyes:  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, John said:

I can only think that Paul having played a lot of games in Division One, rather than spending most of his time in the PL may have counted against him. This whole "year zero" approach to any football played before the PL began really annoys me.  

Shearer and Lineker, are old enough to know better and should hold their heads in shame. Micah Richards probably just wanted to vote for himself. As for Pallister and Carvalho? :rolleyes:  

He played 164 Premier League games, Van Dijk has only played 162

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest av1

The poll is nonsense, but the fact he’s still called God by almost everyone that saw him play regularly, over 30yrs later, tells you everything you need to know about him. 

He’s the best defender I’ve seen live by quite some considerable distance.

I'm suprised more people haven't noticed.  We've moved on from football starting with the formation of the Premier League now.  The early days are also now treated as if they never happened, it's all about what's happened since the top 4 became established.  Unless you've played for one of the "recognised" big clubs you pretty much don't exist in pundits eyes. 

Hence the desperation to get Jack moved to a pet club. 

It kills them to wax lyrical about him now, how are they ever going to put him in a list of greatest players 10 years from now if he's only played for Aston Villa...... doesn't compute for them. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm suprised more people haven't noticed.  We've moved on from football starting with the formation of the Premier League now.  The early days are also now treated as if they never happened, it's all about what's happened since the top 4 became established.  Unless you've played for one of the "recognised" big clubs you pretty much don't exist in pundits eyes. 

Hence the desperation to get Jack moved to a pet club. 

It kills them to wax lyrical about him now, how are they ever going to put him in a list of greatest players 10 years from now if he's only played for Aston Villa...... doesn't compute for them. 

Ironically Alan Shearer made the list, surely he should be speaking up for the so called lesser clubs 

One of the best readers of the game, I have seen and his consistency match to match was awesome.

He must have a hallmark on his body somewhere.....to acheive that level of consistency.

• Like 1

I respect Linekar and Shearer as footballers but I don't care about there opinions and as for Richards he's a joke anyway. McGrath should have been in the top 5 at least 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2021 at 17:42, PaulC said:

I respect Linekar and Shearer as footballers but I don't care about there opinions and as for Richards he's a joke anyway. McGrath should have been in the top 5 at least 

Richards is a bit of a clown isn't he, always giggling like a child.

• Thanks 1

Paul was better than Ferdinand and pallister even when he was pissed, which was quite a few times, trust me, especially for United. 

Go and watch him in the 1984 Cup final against Everton, he didn't give Andy Gray a sniff of the ball in the air and we all know about Andy's areiel prowess. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

An article from four four two magazine from a few years back. You might have to get the magnifying glass out but it's a good read.

I enjoyed reading that, apart from the squinting headache! I read his book some years ago, he such a complex character but an amazing person and one of the greatest defenders ever.

• Like 2

Â