Paul McGrath

TRO

On 21/08/2020 at 22:01, sidcow said:

There are a lot of great songs we don't do anymore.  We must have the narrowest selection in football. 

People seem to get fixated on one song.  It was all HOEITS until Ole Ole came along. 

Try to sing anything else and people look at you like you're weird. 

So true. Makes me sad to think how many Villa chants have succumbed to the invasive knotweed of Allez Allez (I think 2-3 times a game is your optimum frequency for an “anthem” type chant. Certainly less than 25).

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 19:35, Brumstopdogs said:

Those were the days. Our end as the corner was being taken was amazing, it just felt inevitable that we would score. Almost sucked the ball into the net, made all the better by who scored it. I love the Villa, no club in the world like it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Sad news for God yesterday after his Mother passed away. What a lady she must have been to create such a legend! 

I endured the same pain 4 years ago and the hurt never heals. 

Only have to read his autobiography to understand what a massive part she played in getting to the top. Sad news for the great man.

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2020 at 15:28, Zatman said:

he is in good shape and has been doing columns in the Irish media recently and even a bit of acting in this advert, though he might need to work on that ;)

Have you tried the new sauce?!! 

• 3 months later...

A good read today on his season at Derby

https://www.the42.ie/paul-mcgrath-at-derby-county-5361730-Feb2021/

HE WAS APPROACHING his 37th birthday.

He hadn’t played a Premier League game in six months.

He was plagued by severe pain in his rapidly deteriorating knees that had prevented him from training properly for years.

And he was tasked with policing the world’s most expensive footballer.

But Paul McGrath was a man to whom the conventions of football had long since surrendered.

Alan Shearer was at the peak of his powers, yet for the vast majority of his first outing with newly-promoted Derby County, McGrath had the Newcastle United star “trapped like a wasp in a jam jar” according to Phil Shaw, who was reporting for the Independent at the Baseball Ground on the afternoon of Saturday, 12 October, 1996.

McGrath had only met his new team-mates for the first time 24 hours earlier, which didn’t deter Derby manager Jim Smith from putting him straight into his starting line-up. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Motd are a bunch of morons. How is Paul McGrath not in at least the top 10?? Better than the lot of them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56739737

There's no question that the role of a defender has changed somewhat in the last decade - so what makes a world class centre-half?

Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Micah Richards discussed the best centre-halves to play in the Premier League in the latest Match of the Day: Top 10 podcast.

You can listen to the podcast on BBC Sounds and have your say by ranking your choices at the bottom of this page.

12 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Motd are a bunch of morons. How is Paul McGrath not in at least the top 10?? Better than the lot of them.

For that point in time when McGrath was playing footy, he was in a league of his own. Knobbly knees having pints before a match and still he was hardcore.

They don't come as tough as Paul or players from the 80s and 90s, I reckon that was a golden couple of decades for Villa and it's players. Footballers now are just go to the floor or commit tactical fouls wherever possible, back then you wouldn't of caught many doing it compared to now.

Yeah I think for that period he played he was one of the best..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

McGrath won PFA player of the year something that doesn’t come around often for defenders, mind boggling that he didn’t make the list.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

McGrath won PFA player of the year something that doesn’t come around often for defenders, mind boggling that he didn’t make the list.

Not so mind blowing when you consider the “experts” compiling it and the ridiculously biased, celebrity club obsessed BBC. Pathetic the lot of them and sadly we pay their wages. National broadcaster, you’re having a laugh. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes, 1993.

I had a feeling the BBC would leave Mcgrath out, it comes as no suprise. Bunch of clowns.

• Like 1

The sheer disrespect put on McGrath here, it’s not surprising given what the BBC are, but it still takes the piss that one of the greatest defenders of our time doesn’t make it into the top ten ahead of Pallister or Carvalho. 

• Like 3

Â