Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Angel's goal against Bolton, beautiful. Picking up the ball and running at defenders, movement, clever play. Even great balls from Baros and Agbonlahor of all people. Mellberg, Barry, Hitz. So much nostalgia for more exciting times.

Can we sign a forward like that please? Not a big man, not a striker-winger-utility forward but a proper finisher with movement in the box and ability to make space for themselves.

And a goalkeeper that can inspire confidence in the defence and motivate Guzan to improve.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

We need a new goalkeeper, right back and forward. I still think Adebayor would be a good 6 month option, if Tim stays in charge.  

However I am doubtful we are going to get anyone of quality in our position.

We need a new goalkeeper, right back and forward. I still think Adebayor would be a good 6 month option, if Tim stays in charge.  

However I am doubtful we are going to get anyone of quality in our position.

I don't think Adebayor would be any good for us, he is a good striker on his day but all strikers need service

• 2 weeks later...

If he makes a full recovery from his surgery I would definitely offer Ron Vlaar a deal until the end of the season with a view to another year or two if he does OK. For free, he's got gotta be better than Lescott and Clark? 

All this striker and defender stuff is pretty easy to work out when we let in too many goals and don't score enough either and Id love new better players everywhere. But seriously people there is no midfield at this club. There hasn't been since Milner left and then Petrov had to stop playing. Its why there are so few assists in our team, Its why we struggle to hold onto the ball, its why we struggle to transition effectively, Its why we don't even gain territory, why we cant keep possession at a throw in, why the Defenders are left playing the ball across the back aimlessly while there is no discernible movement. Its all our problems rolled into one. Gil's cameo tonight highlighted this perfectly I thought.

Was thinking about someone like Christian Santos. Not sure what our dutch league watchers think on here but he seems to have come from nowhere recently and has an incredibly scoring record for NEC , 29 goals in 43 games and he isn't even an out and out striker. A lot of them were in the second division but he's scored a few in the main league and also recently against Brazil for Venezuela.

I imagine we'll continue shopping in europe with Garde here now.

We won't spend.  Certainly not mega bucks . For a number of reasons but mainly;

the expectation is garde will work with what he has and get the best of them

if he doesn't then spending huge to chase survival would be false economy especially when rebuilding of a different type would be required 4 months later

Striker, central defender, physical defensive mid and a keeper, maybe go back in for Praet (though if we're still scraping the bottom at that point, I doubt he'd come), in roughly that order. Will be interesting to see what we do.

Few rumours are we are looking at Wissam Ben Yedder (Toulouse) again, we have been linked with him on and off for a few years now.

He is 25 and has a 1 in 3 strike rate in France

Too small and lightweight IMO. I know the club feels there's value in France but we need to reign that policy in a little bit, it's hardly paid dividends so far.

We should try to sign Austin or Wilson from Bournemouth (assuming the latter will be back to match fitness). We need a finisher who puts centre halves under pressure.  

Wilson is out for the season, and why on earth would they sell him to us anyway. 

We have 4 points, 4!. We are 6 points from safety. Spending F@~k all and hoping Garde can get us out of this mess with what we currently have would be a huge mistake IMO. Lerner has to splash some significant cash otherwise we will be relegated.

Edited by Supervillan78

Without at least three first team ready signings in January, I can't see us staying up. We need a CB, an experienced midfielder (we have lots of potential but no leader/ calm head in there) and a relatively 'safe' bet for a striker. Obviously all signings have an element of risk but we really need to look very short term with any signings in January and getting someone like Austin would be perfect - regardless if much discussed injury worries. Short term, experienced heads with relegation clauses would do me, or even loans.

What needs to happen:

New manager in place well in advance of January transfer window to allow time for them to assess squad themselves and identify areas they perceive to need strengthening.  Signings are brought in within first few weeks of window to allow as much time as possible to bed into team.

What will probably happen:

Incumbent manager removed at start of window, club drags heels and spends entire window recruiting a replacement who is then left with little to no time to make any major acquisitions before window closes, save for some uninspiring loan moves.

At least 14 people were wrong. Let's hope the second part of "what needs to happen", happens. 

We need a center half and a striker. 

Christian Santos scored another two for NEC in the Dutch league today. Any dutch league watcher (Isa?) think he's up to the prem as his scoring record there is incredible. Then again so was Afonso Alves.

He did score against Brazil recently for Venezuela aswell so dosen't just get goals against mug teams.