Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Its so easy to say sign a striker in January but who is there around that would guarantee goals. We did that once with Bent and it proved a false economy in the long run and to get someone of that ilk now would cost double 24 mil. Austin maybe but he's been injured much of the season and even if fit he's not a player like Vardy who will create chances for himself, we will have to create then for him. 

Edited by PaulC

Its so easy to say sign a striker in January but who is there around that would guarantee goals. We did that once with Bent and it proved a false economy in the long run and to get someone of that ilk now would cost double 24 mil. Austin maybe but he's been injured much of the season and even if fit he's not a player like Vardy who will create chances for himself, we will have to create then for him. 

It does not cost 48m to get yourself a decent striker, infact if we'd have just doubled what we spent on Gestede we would have probably gotten a half decent one for that. This French league philosophy if it does exist (which is does seem to tbh) is ridiculous, there is talent everywhere not just in france.

We won't spend.  Certainly not mega bucks . For a number of reasons but mainly;

the expectation is garde will work with what he has and get the best of them

if he doesn't then spending huge to chase survival would be false economy especially when rebuilding of a different type would be required 4 months later

False economy to spend big to survive? The sensible thing is to take relegation and hope we will bounce right back?  I know what I'd choose if I were Randy.

And why would rebuilding be necessary four months later if we stay up with a couple more quality players? Surely Remi could blend them in without having to scrap all his plans. 

I will be astonished if we don't spend significantly. Unless we are too far adrift come January. 

• Like 1

It does not cost 48m to get yourself a decent striker, infact if we'd have just doubled what we spent on Gestede we would have probably gotten a half decent one for that. This French league philosophy if it does exist (which is does seem to tbh) is ridiculous, there is talent everywhere not just in france.

Its more difficult in January though to get a decent one at the right price. 

That's the main problem for us, the right price in the board/Lerner's eyes is probably always much lower than the selling club. If Garde gets anything above 10m to spend overall i'll be stunned.

We were deep in shit under PL and I remember us signing Sylla for 1m when we desperately needed to add to the squad.

This keeper is meant to be highly rated. 6ft 7! Chelsea apparently have first refusal on him.!

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/villa-and-newcastle-chasing-croatian-keeper-kalinic

A number of Premier League clubs are tracking highly-rated Croatian goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic, sources have told TEAMtalk.

Hajduk Split keeper Kalinic is regarded as one of the best young custodians in Europe after catching the eye for club and country during the last few years.

The 25-year-old has been in superb form for Hajduk Split this season, keeping nine clean sheets in 15 games, including setting a new club record of going eight games without conceding a goal.

The 6ft 7in shot-stopper’s progress has not gone unnoticed among other clubs with scouts from Premier League clubs keeping tabs on his progress.

Kalinic is is currently No.2 keeper to Stipe Pletikosa in the Croatia national team and is set to be part of the squad for next summer’s Euro 2016 finals in France.

The likes of Aston Villa and Newcastle are thought to be interested in Kalinic as they look to bolster their goalkeeping options.

Agent Simon Conning is trying to broker a deal for Kalinic on behalf of Hajduk Split and he is speaking to several clubs about a possible move when the transfer window reopens in January.

Kalinic’s suitors are expected to watch him in action for Croatia during the upcoming international break with the keeper set to start in the friendly against Russia later this month.

The more I think about it, someone like Peter Crouch short term to the end of the season makes sense.

Bit of experience and nous up there, can hold it up which Gestede certainly can't and he scored 8 league goals for Stoke last season without starting much.

Funny how we laughed at Leicester fans saying Vardy was worth £15m although still hope he turns out to be this season's Amir Zaki/Michu.

This seasons Marcus Stewart :) 

Remember he was banging them in for fun for Ipswich as they finished 5th!!! Then didn't do much after..

Why does it matter where we sign the talent from?

That said, three of our best players this season came from the French league. So whatever really. I could not care less. Maybe we look to Germany next, or Holland, or a more emerging market. Makes no odds to me, as long as the players are good enough.