Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Lewis Kinsella appears to be the natural choice as LB if we were to promote from the development squad.

However, do we really want to blood a youngster in whilst bollock deep in a relegation fight? Probably not the ideal situation.

I agree with getting Cissokho back - at least he was a defender, not a 'winger' slotted in at LB.

We need to start to convert chances, I can't knock how Ayew has progressed but we need regular goals - Kozak cannot be any worse than Gestede or Gabby to be fair but I can see him being offloaded to make room for another option (I see Celtic remain interested)

I'd love us to sign a bruiser in midfield to take over from Sanchez, who I like but isn't an intimidating force in the centre of the park and a goalscorer to play off Ayew.

Aggreed on the Physical Presence in midfield........... we haven't got one, sanchez has had 2 seasons and still hasn't hit a consistent run of form.......... hes either 7/7 out of 10 or 2 Out of 10 - with no middle ground................... im not yet sold on Veretout or Gana, maybe they will get better with time going into next season, but it will be too late by then.............  this isn't a situation were going to play our way out of, we need to slog our way out of it, and these 3 in midfield just aren't the answer...................... who is ?  **** knows to be honest.......... I think were just too far behind, and were not anywhere near good enough to have Top 6 form for the rest of the season, which is what its going to take to stay up............  I think we also lack zero goal threat or any real unpredictability.......... Id say its a big gamble, but in our position now is the time to gamble, and id go for someone like Adel Taarabt....... give him the freedom of the park and get his bollocks tickled, and he could be the sort of player to win us games from nothing........... we haven't that player.......... like I say big gamble, but when hes the "Big Fish" he tends to thrive................ worst case scenario, hell be the best player in the championship next season n get us promoted............... :)

I think someone like jedinak would be ideal in the middle and seems like a natural leader . Not going to drag us up the league but could do a job . I don't think we can afford to go abroad and take the risk of them not hitting the ground running. That's why I'd love Austin.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

but Richardson was clearly a back up behind Amavi, nobody was going to expect Amavi to get a season ending injury. Maybe Cissokho wanted to play first team football and didnt want be back-up and Richardson didnt mind

Creative history.  if this were the case, rather than just Tim hadn't a clue, explain why Richardson was starting some matches ahead of Amavi BEFORE Amavi's knee was destroyed.

Just now, srsmithusa said:

Creative history.  if this were the case, rather than just Tim hadn't a clue, explain why Richardson was starting some matches ahead of Amavi BEFORE Amavi's knee was destroyed.

because Amavi wasnt playing that great and made a few mistakes in weeks previous. I doubt Tim expected that his expensive defender would be a bit of a liability in defence

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

because Amavi was made to be a scapegoat due to a few mistakes in weeks previous, although every other player on the pitch had made mistakes too. I doubt Tim wanted this expensive defender as he is French, however the fact that he was at the top of nearly all defensive stats in the Premier League infuriated him.

Fixed

• Like 4

Some of the things Sherwood has been blamed for and accused of really defy belief. There are enough hard facts to make the case that he was a poor football manager without having to resort to pure fantasy to further run his name through the mud

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Some of the things Sherwood has been blamed for and accused of really defy belief. There are enough hard facts to make the case that he was a poor football manager without having to resort to pure fantasy to further run his name through the mud

It is a fact that Amavi pretty much led the Premier League in regards to defensive stats before being dropped due to "poor form", there were even paper interviews stating that he "wasn't ready" and so on. Absolute bollocks and one of the reasons I'm glad Sherwood went.

I'd rather bring in Kinsella than buy a new LB in Jan, don't think we can recall Cissokho either. 

Sherwood liked attacking full backs, do you not remember his comments on Richardson last season.

I think he took one look at Cissokho spooning another cross into Row F and said not for me but it was an error as he can defend and we could do with that now.

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Lewis Kinsella appears to be the natural choice as LB if we were to promote from the development squad.

However, do we really want to blood a youngster in whilst bollock deep in a relegation fight? Probably not the ideal situation.

I agree with getting Cissokho back - at least he was a defender, not a 'winger' slotted in at LB.

We need to start to convert chances, I can't knock how Ayew has progressed but we need regular goals - Kozak cannot be any worse than Gestede or Gabby to be fair but I can see him being offloaded to make room for another option (I see Celtic remain interested)

I'd love us to sign a bruiser in midfield to take over from Sanchez, who I like but isn't an intimidating force in the centre of the park and a goalscorer to play off Ayew.

We are not in a relegation fight!  We have already gone down, we are just going through the motions aka Derby County!

4 hours ago, West said:

I think it's safe to say we won't be getting Joel Campbell on loan after watching this performance against Olympiakos.

It was delusion worthy of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest to think we had a chance in the first place. 

• Like 2

Are we good enough to show top 6 form between now and the end of the season ?????  My opinion most definitely Not.   We havent shown that level of form for years.  So although there is plenty to play for, I cant see us having enough to get out of this.... We may put up a good effort, but it will all be "too little too late"

January will be pointless, the 4 or 5 standard of player required to turn the tide that, IMO, it will take just 1) aren't available 2) we cant afford 3) wouldn't sign for us in the position were in.....

For me, defeatist I know, id be planning for a promotion push next season.   Id be looking at players we can sign now, or in the summer that will bring us back up, that once we are back up will be decent premier league squad players............. In the championship id be looking to keep  Okore, Lescott, Baker, Hutton, Bacuna, Bennett, Amavi (by default due to injury) Westwood, Gestede, Gabby, Gardner........ a few id like to stay but I think will have top flight suitors at home and abroad (ie: sanchez, Richards, Clark, Gana, Veretout, Ayew, Traore etc.......)   Then id be looking to bring in players like Dwight Gayle, Jedinak, Patrick Bamford etc....... there will also be some decent free transfers this season that might come to us in the championship ie: Adam Johnson, Steven Taylor, Tom Carroll, Leon Osman,Players who would likely join a club like Villa for regular first team football, even if it means a season in the championship for the biggest club in that league.

or we can just sign 8 new world class players and stay up this year......... :)

26 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Are we good enough to show top 6 form between now and the end of the season ?????  My opinion most definitely Not.   We havent shown that level of form for years.  So although there is plenty to play for, I cant see us having enough to get out of this.... We may put up a good effort, but it will all be "too little too late"

We don't need to show top 6 form. Not even close.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

id say averaging over a point a game is !!

No. It isn't.

We need 30 points (more or less) to stay up.

That's 1.3 points per game (23 games left).

Over a season that would get you around 49 points. Last season that would have scraped 10th place.

Liverpool finished 6th and had 62 points.

Based on that, top 6 form from now on would see us finish on about 44 points (13th last season)

So we need top 10 form. Which is a big ask, no doubt. But saying we need top 6 form is OTT

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No. It isn't.

Over a season that would get you around 49 points. Last season that would have scraped 10th place.

Based on that, top 6 form from now on would see us finish on about 44 points (13th last season)

So we need top 10 form. Which is a big ask, no doubt. But saying we need top 6 form is OTT

I just want to see a win, just 1 win from somewhere. That's all I want for Christmas, probably won't get it though :(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No. It isn't.

I personally think itll take 34/35 points to be safe............ so lets go down the middle and say top 8 form :)

the end game will be the same, as we aren't good enough to show that form.............