Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

57 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

I personally think itll take 34/35 points to be safe............ so lets go down the middle and say top 8 form :)

the end game will be the same, as we aren't good enough to show that form.............

Very very rarely do you need 40 points to survive. Only once in the premier league has 41 been needed to stay up.

So you're probably wrong. The points tally is usually around 36 or 37

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Very very rarely do you need 40 points to survive. Only once in the premier league has 41 been needed to stay up.

Hence I said 34/35 points will be the marker...............

• Like 3

Just now, Adbo9 said:

Hence I said 34/35 points will be the marker...............

Sorry, I thought you meant 34/35 on top of what we have now.

In that case it would take even less than top 10 form.

1.2 points a game would be needed if it was 34 points. Which would have been good enough for a huge 13th place in the league last season.
I hope it is that low, because that is achievable!

I don't want to read posts that infer that we would lose our better players and be left with players like Gabby (utter dross). The players are partly to blame so keep the ones that are any good (we can afford it). I also can't get excited about some of the players being suggested to get us back up if we go down. We have had our fill of garbage lower league players over the years. We need to think bigger or we will just keep getting smaller.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sorry, I thought you meant 34/35 on top of what we have now.

In that case it would take even less than top 10 form.

1.2 points a game would be needed if it was 34 points. Which would have been good enough for a huge 13th place in the league last season.
I hope it is that low, because that is achievable!

I cant see us amassing nearly 30 points from the games left at all............ I think well be finishing on 23/24-30 max in total..........

3 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

I cant see us amassing nearly 30 points from the games left at all............ I think well be finishing on 23/24-30 max in total..........

If we get to 20 points I will be ecstatic 

• Like 1

I would have liked to have seen us strongly linked with making the odd signing or three by now. Players such as Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Steven Naismith, Andros Townsend, Benik Afobe, Tom Heaton and Rico Henry for example may be available to buy/loan early next month. We need to do any such deals without delay but there does not appear to be much if any activity on the transfer front at B6 to me     

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Assuming 38 points gets us safe, that's 32 points needed in 23 games - which is roughly 1.4 points per game.

1.4 points per game after the first 15 games of this season (right now) would give you 21 points. Southampton in 12th place are on 21 points, so that's the sort of form that is needed.  Middle of the table stuff (this season) in the same vein as the team we last played.  We drew against them.

It is possible...!

No chance, he was wanted by Spurs in the summer and I think they'd be back in for him. 

As I've said before, I think people are really in for an unpleasant surprise when they see the calibre of player we're targeting. Think Sylla more than Bent. 

23 minutes ago, John said:

I would have liked to have seen us strongly linked with making the odd signing or three by now. Players such as Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Steven Naismith, Andros Townsend, Benik Afobe, Tom Heaton and Rico Henry for example may be available to buy/loan early next month. We need to do any such deals without delay but there does not appear to be much if any activity on the transfer front at B6 to me     

To be fair you never hear much from villa full stop, I actually like the way we go about our transfer  business in a quiet and discrete fashion. The first your usually hear is when the we are close to a deal.

I agree with the players you suggested. I like the sound of the kid from Walsall, unsure over Naismith's due to how much he would likely cost given he is 29 and would rather replace Sanchez with the $$$ it would take to prise him from the toffees. 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I read that Southampton might be looking to replace Victor Wanyama in January.

Anyone take him if they did? Would he come here?

didnt McLeish want him when he was still in Belgium :(

31 minutes ago, John said:

You know why I think that is John.  I think because the high ups at the club are waiting to see what kind of a position we are in come january to determine investment and thus targets.

If we have picked up points and sit just a few behind and with a better chance of retaining status they may invest in a certain type of player and be able to attract a certain type of player

If we have slipped further behind with little chance of staying up and it is a case of looking to next year and a promotion push then another route will be taken

If we are in a similar state to now with it not clear either way then god knows what they do

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think because the high ups at the club are waiting to see what kind of a position we are in come january to determine investment and thus targets.

It's the only sensible move really. We are as good as down now so what's the point in spending a fortune on a D. Bent or J.Defoe when they probably won't be enough to keep you up anyway. We'd need to buy the 3 proven quality players (that we should have bought in the summer to replace Benteke,Vlaar and Delph) to have a chance of staying up and that would cost ~£40m + wages and those players aren't usually available in January. Expect the odd loan deal and maybe one cheap signing from France, nothing more. The pennies will be saved to buy proven championship players that might help us get a playoff spot next season.