The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Yep, it’s a networking gig.

On a much much lower scale, I’ve been to a few of these things where I’ve been on a round table full of suits who’ve all apparently come along to listen to Stuart Rose or Stuart Gulliver and a couple of others who I’ve forgotten.

The speaks bit is quite dull, the idea is you work the room and see how you or your company can monetise the gig.

It’s basically golf but without having to hit a ball and then go and get it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats looking at it like a traditional gig

A lot of the time the Speaker is often really the loss leader, they are there to attract the people (as part of the package). Their company's are paying so its just a jolly, the people that turn up are themthelves are the point of the event, they are the networking / sales opportunity to themselves and the organisers

Think of it as a sort of symbiotic parasitic turd on turd festival

Yes, I shouldn't have said 'paying', as you say it's not customers paying, I should have said 'at a cost of'. It makes sense for jp Morgan to spend £500k on an impressive evening they can invite their biggest clients to, because even one bit of business that emerged from it would pay for itself. 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2021 at 18:14, Xela said:

The Fire Safety Bill went back to the Lords today and they voted to include the amendments to protect leaseholders.

It now goes back to the Commons

Legislative ping-pong

Sorry to quote myself

The bill went back to the Commons today. They voted to disregard the Lords amendments (as expected). Over 30 tories rebelled again. 

It went the Lords this evening and they sent it back to the Commons for the 4th time!

Three times the Government has failed to get this bill passed. 

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is there anything they could do to drop down in the polls? 

I find it so hard to believe that your average British person relates to these words removed.

Not sure there's been a poll since all this broke

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is there anything they could do to drop down in the polls? 

I find it so hard to believe that your average British person relates to these words removed.

I think your average british person is probably not that well engaged in politics in particular between elections. Take VT and this thread as an example. How many posters in here vs the whole site, suspect that level of interest maybe representative of the rest of the UK.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think your average british person is probably not that well engaged in politics in particular between elections. Take VT and this thread as an example. How many posters in here vs the whole site, suspect that level of interest maybe representative of the rest of the UK.

Agreed but then surely even if you don't take an interest, you can't miss the big headlines. The response to covid, the double standards with Cummings and just the general sleaze about them. 

I just find it quite demoralising that they just don't drop in the polls.

America has huge issues but at least 4 years of Trump woke many of them up. We still seem to act like there are no standards to hold these people to anymore. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed but then surely even if you don't take an interest, you can't miss the big headlines. The response to covid, the double standards with Cummings and just the general sleaze about them. 

America has huge issues but at least 4 years of Trump woke many of them up. We still seem to act like there are no standards to hold these people to anymore. 

So many just say “Labour would do worse”

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Dunno about that. Polling I saw yesterday suggested only about 25% of the electorate are following the story about the flat refurbishment, and obviously most of those people will have already made their minds up one way or the other.

@cheltenham_villa is right, politics almost never cuts through, and most political discussion between election periods is just blowing hot air. That doesn't mean it's not important: it's good to know what's happening, and contrary to common belief, governments can't just do whatever they want and do respond to pressure a lot of the time. But very very few stories 'cut through'. (The only one to really do so so far was Cummings' trip to Barnard Castle, mostly because the excuse offered was so laughable)

• Thanks 1

Tory backers just love laughing at “lefties” and because this pisses “lefties” off its fine. 

They overlook the fact it is morally wrong and yet still run with Labour ruining the country, or whatever that is again. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Electoral Commission to investigate Johnson's  Flat Loan. Just announced

One of the top liked comments on the BBC facebook page for this...

"With all going on why on earth people worried about this who cares I know 100% ppl I know not interested at all just make Labour lib and rest look desperate for vote next week so sad"

We're **** as a country.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It'll change nothing.

Of course not. If people voted for him in their droves with his track record of lies, corruption and racism then his home upkeep arrangements would need to resemble Fred West's before they're going to even give it a sideways glance. 

Â