The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Gove is a little weasel.  I don't think he's the chest thumping type that would resonate with the rabble.

After Johnson, I do think that the Tories struggle with "media friendly" politicians. Whilst some will be pushed by the mail/telegraph etc (those with mates in the media anyway), none of them have the "appeal" that Johnson has :puke:

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Fair play to the tories, two new jobs for every resident of Hartlepool. Kids, the elderly, people that already have a job - you’re getting two more.

She says she’s made it clear, but turned off the comments. I’m none the wiser 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If anybody believes that 'free ports' will bring that number of jobs in even a century of operation they're in dreamland.

Well the proposed LCR Freeport is only projected to create 14,000 jobs and that's across the whole region and includes extra customs staff etc so where she gets her 180,000 from is probably what she's sitting on as she types.

This thing about Brexit and Freeports now being possible - it's rubbish isn't it?. There is/was a Freeport up the road from where I live. It's been renamed "Affinity" but it was defo a freeport for ages - before the EU got demolished when that Brexit thing that was briefly in the news happened .

53 minutes ago, blandy said:

This thing about Brexit and Freeports now being possible - it's rubbish isn't it?. There is/was a Freeport up the road from where I live. It's been renamed "Affinity" but it was defo a freeport for ages - before the EU got demolished when that Brexit thing that was briefly in the news happened .

Yep, there’s one of the outskirts of Stoke (Freeport Talke), been there for as long as I can recall.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

there’s one of the outskirts of Stoke (Freeport Talke)

Blimey! The tide comes in further than I thought.

I suppose Stoke has got a Port - Port Vale :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

We've had one in Liverpool (well Seaforth, Sefton but its called Liverpool) for as long as I can remember but they new LCR one seems to be encompassing the whole region, so the definition does seem to have changed

lcr-freeport.png

Map and more on LCR website

Going back to Dyson and James Dyson isn't a Tory donor yaddah yaddah................

From the records of Companies House

Look who got made a director of Dyson last year....

JOHNSON, Joseph Edmund

Correspondence address

Dyson, Tetbury Hill, Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16 0RP

Role Active Director

Date of birth December 1971

Appointed on 18 February 2020

Nationality British

Country of residence England

Occupation Director

Companies House

Yes I know the phone number was on some obscure memo online somewhere but I don't think that is where James Dyson got the phone number do you?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I suspect if you went to an ex-mining town and asked the locals what they think about not being allowed to like Churchill any more because he was a racist you might get some quite rude answers.

Try it in South Wales and they'd buy you a pint

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Try it in South Wales and they'd buy you a pint

Maybe. Perhaps it's something Plaid Cymru should go hard on, then, but it doesn't seem to be a winning strategy if you want to win power over the whole country.

Wasnt the elections meant to be last year but got moved to this year due to the pandemic or am i mistaken?

If it was last year no doubt for me they would have been wiped out. I still thought they would take a massive hit despite the vaccine roleout due to the incompetence of johnson

While I'm on my soapbox I'll mention one more thing that the Tories have done which has helped them, in my opinion - they've dodged the least electorally palatable aspects of right wing populism, which I think cost Trump the election but has helped Boris out.

The first thing is not being climate change deniers. Some Tories are, of course, but the UK has had a quietly effective climate change policy under Tory rule for a long time now. I think climate change denial would be a big vote loser in this country, so they've wisely dodged that bullet.

The second thing is the ruling faction of the Tories not being overtly anti-mask and anti-vax. Boris flirted with this early on by bragging about how he was still shaking hands with everyone, but that quickly morphed into the government wearing masks and very clear support for vaccination. Again, I think they avoided shooting themselves in both feet there.

So at the moment I think they've done a good job of picking the areas where right wing populism is a vote winner and sidelining the parts of the party that are making similar sounds in areas where right wing populism definitely would not be a vote winner. Those two things for me let them portray themselves as the "common sense" party, instead of coming across like science-denying madmen.

• Like 2

Â