The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s an electrician fitting phones in cells, I doubt he followed it up tbh. I will remember not to share insights of things seen behind prison walls in future because it’ll be deemed fake news by VT as they’ve not seen it themselves.

'Fake news'. :crylaugh:

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

It's crap because it's the way and the basis on which you have chosen to present and justify your argument.

It’s not an argument? It’s something that a family member witnessed. For whatever reason you guys think a cold meal being switched for a warm one is beyond the realms of possibility.

I see it’s probably not true because it was an electrician that witnessed it and not the governor :lol: 

• Haha 1

I guess people ‘rally round’ in a crisis?

I guess people still think there’s nothing else could have been done to reduce the 100,000 dead?

I guess Labour not offering any opposition kind of makes it pointless giving them too much attention?

I guess good news on vaccines outweighs bad news on economic collapse, for now?

I guess government level mass incompetence and / or corruption is of minimal interest?

Sometimes, you just have to accept the rest of the world is wrong and there’s nothing you can do about it.

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get it  

It’s also odd that there is a real distrust of the government. They don’t believe the figures of deaths, they don’t believe the hospitals are really full, they believe that there is a sinister reasoning to wanting to vaccinate the nation, they think mask wearing is only because of a will to exert control over the population... yet still they would vote for the same lot again. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s also odd that there is a real distrust of the government. They don’t believe the figures of deaths, they don’t believe the hospitals are really full, they believe that there is a sinister reasoning to wanting to vaccinate the nation, they think mask wearing is only because of a will to exert control over the population... yet still they would vote for the same lot again. 

You appear to be assuming that these are Tory voters you are talking about. In my experience they aren't, they are more likely to be Labour voters.

In my mind you are comparing two different sets of people

The ones you are talking about are a very loud 5-10% of the population and they are traditional Labour voters

13 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

"A cOmPeTeNt LeAdEr WoUlD bE 20 pOiNtS aHeAd" 🙄

Nice one Keith. 

Jokes aside it really does show how stacked things are in their favour. They can get everything wrong, give billions of pounds of public money away to their mates and their donors, and kill 100,000 people, but people will still vote for them. 

I think people presumed that a ‘competent’ leader wouldn’t just agree with the Tories on every key point.

the tories are excellent at working out the numbers they have to please to get or retain power.

Most people weren’t coal miners, aren’t teachers, aren’t nurses, aren’t disabled...

You can outrage 59% because you only need the support of 41%

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

"A cOmPeTeNt LeAdEr WoUlD bE 20 pOiNtS aHeAd" 🙄

Nice one Keith. 

Jokes aside it really does show how stacked things are in their favour. They can get everything wrong, give billions of pounds of public money away to their mates and their donors, and kill 100,000 people, but people will still vote for them. 

IF they continue to seemingly do well with the vaccination programme I can see a large number of people considering the government to be a roaring success, post WWII style.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's become almost invisible by a process of agreement.

It's interesting. I haven't really got a horse in the race (other than hating the tories :), and being a citizen ). Starmer has largely been much better than Johnson in things like PMQs, and in what he's called for to happen - but most people don't see that, only nerds.

It looks like Starmer is much more often right than Johnson is, as exampled by numerous U-turns and dithering so on by Johnson.

Starmer acts like a lawyer. He examines the evidence, reaches a conclusion and then says what it is. It's not political theatre and it's not grabbing anyone's attention in these pandemic times. Stuff like schools - everyone, I think, realises them being shut is bad for kids and wants them opened when it's safe to do so. Starmer saying that is true, but not politically noise making. It's just bleeding obvious.

The vaccine going well will certainly give the Gov't a boost in a pandemic. Of course it will.

It's what comes next that is more significant politically - the aftermath of a wrecked economy, Brexit, 100,000+ dead and all the other frightfulness. That is the area where actual differences of party philosophy will come more into play and have the potential to affect the polls more significantly. Maybe in a year or so. Right now, because of the pandemic, because of vaccines, because the government has thrown billions at people there's going to be a fairly widespread swell of people in England thinking "the gov'ts had hard job and done OK". Same in Scotland. It's not an issue where there's much fertile ground for any oppo party, and it's dominating the news and life generally. The news is about the situation, not about political stances or arguments and they hardly get an airing in the news.

Johnson has been incredibly fortunate in many ways. But that luck will turn, because of the mess we're in. Or maybe the rise of nationalism (English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish unification calls down the line) will actually push people to blame the "others" for the messes and the leaders will be able to ride that wave and get high approval.

Starmer is not an attention grabber, and people don't gravitate so much towards, or get inspired by solid competence, until or unless it is contrasted against what people see as the opposite of that.

Strange times.

Going back to the luxury life of prisoners discussion, makes me laugh people slamming it and saying how it's like a holiday camp.

We got locked down in the comfort of our own homes with plenty of luxury and had national protests. Give me freedom and no Playstation over being locked up with one, every time.

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

It looks like Starmer is much more often right than Johnson is, as exampled by numerous U-turns and dithering so on by Johnson.

The problem is that Starmer seems to go out of his way to make it appear that the opposite is true.

I also have no horse in the race, and I hate the Tories, but I worry about Starmer, he's the best hope of a viable alternative and at the moment he's failing on both viable and alternative.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem is that Starmer seems to go out of his way to make it appear that the opposite is true.

Does he? I dunno, Scott. I haven't noticed that, but you could be right.

Where he could, but doesn't use it at the moment, is to have an angle being more personal about various tories. It's dirty, perhaps, but the tories do it all the time. I think he might need to. He's good at pointing out errors, but not at attaching a tag to them - like he'll say the Gov't was too slow with the lockdown, too slow with PPE, too slow with...etc. but he doesn't tag it to "ditherer" Johnson, or "indecisive" Johnson (or whatever) and hammer that label home.

But first I guess they need to have their conference or whatever to agree some policies that they can all get behind. It's all a bit in limbo right now.

Â