The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It really does beg the question why they were so opposed to the idea in the first place, given the huge opportunity it clearly offers to scam a bit more public money for themselves. 

The eternal battle between greed and ideology I suppose.

We really are a bit of a bubble on here. I've seen people responding to pictures of these pitiful rations with pictures of empty plates saying 'better than this isn't it?' For a lot of their base, spending almost literally anything is undeserved generosity.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The eternal battle between greed and ideology I suppose.

We really are a bit of a bubble on here. I've seen people responding to pictures of these pitiful rations with pictures of empty plates saying 'better than this isn't it?' For a lot of their base, spending almost literally anything is undeserved generosity.

For their base, there always has to be someone to hate, someone to direct their anger at. 

And the idiots let these in power, profiting from it all continue to manipulate them.

Rashford to the rescue again. After trying to setup a meeting with them (food supplier) they have apologised and said the food was unacceptable.

They also said that the food was for 1 week and not 2 and total cost including P&P was £10.50

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rashford to the rescue again. After trying to setup a meeting with them (food supplier) they have apologised and said the food was unacceptable.

They also said that the food was for 1 week and not 2 and total cost including P&P was £10.50

Ah the old P&P scam

There's a worrying angle in that Chartwells appear to be part of the Rashford child food poverty taskforce.

That's not to suggest there's an issue with Rashford's campaign - just to highlight that there may be a bit of a bigger problem than just the usual Tory corruption.

Grauniad:

Last month Chartwells, which is part of the giant Compass UK group, tweeted: “We are proud to be the first school caterer to join Child Food Poverty Taskforce formed by @MarcusRashford”. Its managing director, Charlie Brown, added: “Marcus Rashford’s campaign shines a much-needed spotlight on the issue of child food poverty.”

Edited by snowychap

I think this is the most offensive one I've seen. They're paying people to chop peppers in half and open cans of tuna to scrape a meagre serving in to a coin bag. And a business is being paid and profiting by providing this "service"? If there weren't so many like this, I'd think it was fake.

Imagine going to a food bank and trying to donate coin bags that you've filled with grated cheese and a clingfilmed half of a tomato. They'd try to get you sectioned.

I saw one with 2 slices of ham in cling film.

**** disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

The contracts should be cancelled, and the companies involved never involved in a tender again. 

They've used the excuse that they've tried their best in difficult circumstances with limited time. But that doesn't wash. There's a point at which its so clear something is wrong that 'delivering' something in that state is inexcusable - and delivering half of some veg, in a package designed to provide school lunches for a week or more, is despicable.

And of course the company behind it churns enormous profits every year.

There's a link with a US scandal in similar circumstances where they overcharged schools for providing meals.

Quelle surprise.

• Like 3

The stupid thing is, you’d have to question the cost of cutting an onion and cling filming the portions, versus just giving out two onions.

I wouldn’t mind betting that cling film and knife cleaning costs more than half a tomato does.

It’s mean for the sake of being mean, it’s not even maximising profit for them.

Food as a political weapon appears to be quite the thing for this Westminster tory government.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think this is the most offensive one I've seen. They're paying people to chop peppers in half and open cans of tuna to scrape a meagre serving in to a coin bag. And a business is being paid and profiting by providing this "service"? If there weren't so many like this, I'd think it was fake.

Imagine going to a food bank and trying to donate coin bags that you've filled with grated cheese and a clingfilmed half of a tomato. They'd try to get you sectioned.

I'm a bit skeptical about that one. At this point it's not going to be hard to whip up your own version and take a photo for mega likes. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I'm a bit skeptical about that one. At this point it's not going to be hard to whip up your own version and take a photo for mega likes. 

I agree I would perhaps call bullshit on this one. 

Edited by Seat68

The coin bag is a bit too far. There’s no way they are being used in a legit food prep organisation on a government contract. They’d be shut down in hours.

Edit: it has tuna in it too, zero chance that is real.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

I see we've reached the 'there's no way they could be that mean' part of the discussion.

I have no way of verifying that particular picture - a reverse Google Image search does not show a clear point of origin - but it's not remotely hard to believe in the broad sweep of these pictures, not because 'the Tories are evil' (though that too), but because eg Chartwells have school catering contracts and are presumably just using surplus stock to fill the boxes. That's why the contents don't make coherent meals, as in this one:

EriSFCdWMAYSz3w?format=jpg&name=large

The tuna is not a sign of unbelievable generosity, but an indication it's come from a large drum of the sort used for school catering.

EDIT: Should also add, this is why those criticising the contents of the boxes by quoting the price of the items in Tesco are actually being generous; these ingredients will have been bought at lower wholesale prices.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

They u-turned again, already.

Vouchers back in next week

If they’ve not already paid for the food shipments they absolutely should not. 

Then fine them on top for being so shit.

13 hours ago, snowychap said:

There's a worrying angle in that Chartwells appear to be part of the Rashford child food poverty taskforce.

That's not to suggest there's an issue with Rashford's campaign - just to highlight that there may be a bit of a bigger problem than just the usual Tory corruption.

Grauniad:

My comment would be that 'lending legitimacy' goes two ways. Rashford wanted 'to get industry onside' to lend his campaign an air of political neutrality, not left-wing rabble-rousing, and it has broadly worked - he still maintains his legitimacy. But of course the outsourcers can use their 'support' for his popular campaign for some legitimacy of their own.

I'm not knocking Rashford - far from it, he's been very brave and it means a lot to him, and without his voice the issue would get much less of a hearing - but the bottom line is 'the industry' is going to respond to financial incentives more than PR ones. Chartwells' customer is the government, not outraged members of the public.

• Like 1

Â