The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

53 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is surely a clear distinction to be made between Iraq, where the ‘coalition of the willing’ were directly responsible for the breakdown of the country and Syria which was more a result of the ‘Arab Spring’ being successful enough to destabilise the government there?

I mean the UK is likely to have had some influence in the region but it is probable there would have been refugees fleeing from their regardless of what action the UK took.

Is it more complicated than that?

We’ve messed around in that region to a greater or lesser extent for 100 years with arbitrary borders to invent countries. From Saudi royal families, to striking a line between Pakistan and India, supporting and then not supporting regimes in Afghanistan, propping up the Shah or Iran, trying to decide whether to work with Gadaffi, trying to decide whether to support the Kurds. Our reaction to the birth of Israel (the political entity including minority parties), being in the room when Yemeni weddings are bombed, no plan for after Gulf Wars.

I’m not saying everything is our fault. But there are a lot of very complex reasons for refugees, it would make a very hefty book, and we would have a mention on a lot of pages.

• Like 1

Their whole approach to this has been stupid. You can't have a system based on exams, then not have exams, then design a kludge that provides the same detail or accuracy as exams. It would have been better to just say 'this year is pass/fail' and face the reality of the situation head on.

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not really sure where to put this but:

Not sure of the legitimacy of this. Taken from Instagram. If it’s accurate then it highlights the problem 

4688FB9A-4221-4B9F-87F9-D720F9E1AFE0.jpeg

This system would have **** me. I was always a bit of a crammer. I put the work in when it mattered so come the exams I was ready and got good results in return. 

My mock exams were nowhere near as good so if they got downgraded further I’d have been way way off

• Like 1

My niece had mock and predicted grades of AAA, she now has BBC. Her next step, her future was built on them grades. Now she doesn’t know what to do. Tories really are words removed. 

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My niece had mock and predicted grades of AAA, she now has BBC. Her next step, her future was built on them grades. Now she doesn’t know what to do. Tories really are words removed. 

I just don't understand what kind of system can take the two best indicators of a student's grade, that both say A A A, and then give them B B C

How does that remotely make sense?

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I just don't understand what kind of system can take the two best indicators of a student's grade, that both say A A A, and then give them B B C

So many kids now not having a clue what to do. This government really do not have an ounce of humanity. Nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On top of this, the question is why? Surely all this downgrading means grades are far lower than before. Why? What is the reasoning for that? What's wrong with students getting the grades they deserve?

IF it was something like a student's mocks were BBC, and their assessed grades were AAA then I'd get it. Might be harsh for some people but some sort of downgrade could be justified.

I just don't get why or how it's happened

Not sure this is going to be workable to be honest:

A-level results: Didn't get the grades you wanted? This is what to do next

[...]

'Appeal

Ofqual has warned that appealing against a grade will affect other students from the same school because of the rank order system.

It said if one student successfully appealed against their position in the rank order it would push another student down the ranking and they would then need to be allowed to appeal.

Students can ask the school to check if it made a mistake when submitting the grade or position in the rank order, and if it has then it can ask the exam board to correct it.'

from: https://news.sky.com/story/as-and-a-levels-what-are-your-options-if-you-do-not-get-the-results-you-wanted-12046680

I will be pretty surprised if this system makes it to 5 o'clock this afternoon without pretty major revision.

• Like 1

Â