The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-kim-darroch-quits-as-uk-ambassador-to-us-amid-memos-row-11760290

Sir Kim Darroch has resigned as the UK's ambassador to the US amid a row over leaked memos that were critical of Donald Trump.

Sir Kim said the furore over the messages, in which he called the US president "inept", was "making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like".

Uk Ambassador to the US resigns. Sadly inevitable as he can't possibly have a relationship with the US president after the leak. Whoever did it needs to be found and jailed ASAP.

Not surprisingly you've now got Johnson coming out and saying how much he regrets that he's had to resign and describing him as a "fantastic diplomat"...no acknowledgement of the role he's played in undermining the man last night (personally I think his position was untenable anyway).

I genuinely think people like Johnson and Trump have figured people out. Most people aren't paying too much attention to politics or what people are saying and just vote for a familiar name/face. They can say whatever they want and then say the opposite the following day and it's fine. I genuinely think he's going to go straight to a general election and win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-kim-darroch-quits-as-uk-ambassador-to-us-amid-memos-row-11760290

Uk Ambassador to the US resigns. Sadly inevitable as he can't possibly have a relationship with the US president after the leak. Whoever did it needs to be found and jailed ASAP.

Not surprisingly you've now got Johnson coming out and saying how much he regrets that he's had to resign and describing him as a "fantastic diplomat"...no acknowledgement of the role he's played in undermining the man last night (personally I think his position was untenable anyway).

I genuinely think people like Johnson and Trump have figured people out. Most people aren't paying too much attention to politics or what people are saying and just vote for a familiar name/face. They can say whatever they want and then say the opposite the following day and it's fine. I genuinely think he's going to go straight to a general election and win. 

You could well be right. In our new world of X Factor politics, Boris is much more of a TV personality than Corbyn, and that's all a sadly increasing proportion of the electorate cares about. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You could well be right. In our new world of X Factor politics, Boris is much more of a TV personality than Corbyn, and that's all a sadly increasing proportion of the electorate cares about. 

It's bizarre really. I know we're only talking about an electorate of 100,000-odd people here but I think he's treated them and the rest of the public with utter contempt. He's refused to be interviewed and refused to debate until after the ballots have been out for a week. He's fed them a bunch of lies and snake oil over Brexit. Sided with the petulant leader of a foreign power over his own government and civil service. Yet he's going to win. It's disgusting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

you've now got Johnson coming out and saying how much he regrets that he's had to resign and describing him as a "fantastic diplomat"...no acknowledgement of the role he's played in undermining the man last night

Senior civil servants will be furious about Johnson's actions.  They will regard him as untrustworthy, unreliable, and absolutely not to be depended on.  They will know they can expect no loyalty, and they will offer none in return, while staying within the bounds of acting professionally.

For an incoming PM to alienate the very people he will critically depend on, for a fleeting political advantage, is an absolutley crass error of political judgement, and shows that as well as being a loathsome git, Johnson is a pretty poor politican.

• Like 2

Johnson should see this as an enormous danger signal, requiring immediate and urgent action by him.

But even as Darroch stepped down, the tremors caused by the leak continued to reverberate, with Sir Simon McDonald, the permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, telling the foreign affairs select committee that he had been forced to call an all-staff meeting to reassure concerned diplomats and warning that he feared more leaks would follow.

“People are shaken by what has happened and there is a reason why I have asked to see all my colleagues,” he said. “The basis on which we have worked all our careers suddenly feels challenged.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I cannot believe I'm really, really, really hoping Jeremy Hunt wins this.  Urgh.

Definitely this. He's a truly nasty piece of work, but he at least has a couple of brain cells, and is an actual politician rather than a freakshow act. 

Was he really this loathsome when he was Mayor of London?  From memory he seemed fairly competent, especially compared to Hunt.  I can't help but feel that Putin has a video of someone pissing on Boris as well.  He's started to go full on Trump.

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Was he really this loathsome when he was Mayor of London?

As a 20 year resident of London, I’d have to say yes, he was entirely loathe some when he was mayor. Anyone who had to work with/under him at the time is not remotely surprised at how things have gone now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I wish I was a member of the Conservative party just to vote for Boris. The division in the party he is going to cause will make Labour look unified. 

Political satire is already dead so we might as well get the pop corn out and laugh at the real thing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I wish I was a member of the Conservative party just to vote for Boris. The division in the party he is going to cause will make Labour look unified. 

That's the case whoever would have won, out of all that lamentable list of candidates. They're toast whatever. Labour probably is too. In their current forms, both are doomed.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He came to Barry Island a few days ago to eat an icecream in front of the cameras. He personally has said english needs to be the first language everywhere across britain, other languages are a threat. He's said money to be spent in Wales may in future be more tightly controlled by england with westminster deciding how much can be spent on what and where.

The tories have cancelled electrification of the railway, they've closed our docks, shut down the chemical industries and are about let the steel industry disappear. They put the miners on the sick and then declared them scroungers. They are disgusting.

The people on the Island when he visited fawned around him for selfies like he was some **** pop star.

Boris has a carefully prepared 'front' that hides the true griminess underneath. Unfortunately most people don't look beyond the facade. He's known as a buffoon, a chummy toff. And that's all that matters.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He came to Barry Island a few days ago to eat an icecream in front of the cameras. He personally has said english needs to be the first language everywhere across britain, other languages are a threat. He's said money to be spent in Wales may in future be more tightly controlled by england with westminster deciding how much can be spent on what and where.

The tories have cancelled electrification of the railway, they've closed our docks, shut down the chemical industries and are about let the steel industry disappear. They put the miners on the sick and then declared them scroungers. They are disgusting.

The people on the Island when he visited fawned around him for selfies like he was some **** pop star.

Yep. I rest my case. Poorly educated, resistant to education, or plain thick as pigshit. You choose. 

4 hours ago, peterms said:

Senior civil servants will be furious about Johnson's actions.  They will regard him as untrustworthy, unreliable, and absolutely not to be depended on.  They will know they can expect no loyalty, and they will offer none in return, while staying within the bounds of acting professionally.

For an incoming PM to alienate the very people he will critically depend on, for a fleeting political advantage, is an absolutley crass error of political judgement, and shows that as well as being a loathsome git, Johnson is a pretty poor politican.

What exactly are Johnson’s actions ? He’s not been crowned yet 

Mr Ambassador’s position was untenable due to a leak , he did the honourable thing and resigned , I’m sure his pension and what not won’t see him starving .

investigate the leak and send the disdain to the instigator of it  

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Mr Ambassador’s position was untenable due to a leak ,

Untenable due to giving his honest, confidential opinion to his own government? 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

he did the honourable thing and resigned

How is resigning the 'honourable thing'?

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Untenable due to giving his honest, confidential opinion to his own government? 

How is resigning the 'honourable thing'?

It wasn’t the giving his confidential opinion that was the problem , it was the fact someone leaked it ... which I clearly stated

its the honourable thing because his position with the USA is untenable , rather than drag this on for months he’s saved everyone the job ... maybe when Trump has finished his second term he can have his old job back then 

• Like 1

Â