The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Boris has the more explosive destructive power of the two IMO

He's capable of random acts of stupidity that can hurt the country, but I think he's less effective. Hunt is organised, destructive evil, I think Boris's reign would be short and bizarre but ultimately only really marked by its embarrassment - Hunt will leave deep, deep scars on public services and the ways our societies work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's capable of random acts of stupidity that can hurt the country, but I think he's less effective. Hunt is organised, destructive evil, I think Boris's reign would be short and bizarre but ultimately only really marked by its embarrassment - Hunt will leave deep, deep scars on public services and the ways our societies work.

Tend to agree, I think Boris is a bit daft. He's a canny strategist and will prove to be quite popular. But he's impulsive and undiplomatic. He'll be divisive in his own party and ultimately will be toppled by Brexit. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think I might prefer Boris to Hunt.

It's like picking between lung or bowel cancer.

We're going to get both, it's just that one will be more prominent while the other works away slightly more in the background.

53 minutes ago, peterms said:

We're going to get both, it's just that one will be more prominent while the other works away slightly more in the background.

Hence my Trump/Pence analogy above. 

5 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Tend to agree, I think Boris is a bit daft. He's a canny strategist and will prove to be quite popular. But he's impulsive and undiplomatic. He'll be divisive in his own party and ultimately will be toppled by Brexit. 

Absolutely, I can't see any long term future for Boris as PM.  To think, he is probably the only candidate they had who has ever run anything reasonably competently when he was Mayor as well.  Says it all really, it's an absolute shitshow.

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can't see any long term future for Boris as PM.

Neither can he currently I suspect,  he will duck it again IMO.  Don't know how but he will.

He wants someone to deal with the mess first then come in after as some saviour.

So the Tory solution to having Chris Davies recalled by petition in Brecon and Radnor is to get Chris Davies to be the candidate again in the seat. There are 10.005 of his constituents that actively signed his petition for him to be removed from the seat. I'm presuming they gave up collecting signatures when the threshold was reached.

The turnout is usually about 40k

Last time he had a majority of 8k (20k Con vs 12k LD vs 9k Others) - there are only 55k registered voters in the constituency

It's like they don't actually want to win the seat, an utterly bizarre decision

EDIT: So 10k actively don't want him, 15k usually don't vote that leaves 30k (just over half) of the registered voters to target and  at least a further 10k of which didn't vote for him last time). Thats a tough ask especially in the current state of the party in the polls

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

So the Tory solution to having Chris Davies recalled by petition in Brecon and Radnor is to get Chris Davies to be the candidate again in the seat. There are 10.005 of his constituents that actively signed his petition for him to be removed from the seat. I'm presuming they gave up collecting signatures when the threshold was reached.

The turnout is usually about 40k

Last time he had a majority of 8k (20k Con vs 12k LD vs 9k Others) - there are only 55k registered voters in the constituency

It's like they don't actually want to win the seat, an utterly bizarre decision

EDIT: So 10k actively don't want him, 15k usually don't vote that leaves 30k (just over half) of the registered voters to target and  at least a further 10k of which didn't vote for him last time). Thats a tough ask especially in the current state of the party in the polls

Your maths is slightly off, that 10K could be entirely from 15K, it doesn't have to be those that voted for him. I agree that it is stupid, because at least 10K are not going to vote for him, thats nearly 20% of the vote that they have immediately lost before anything has happened. 

I suspect though that the Brexit Party will take a sizeable portion of the vote away from the Tories, meaning it is likely to be a LD win in any event, meaning an even smaller "majority". 

Edited by cyrusr
Added clarity

7 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

that 10K could be entirely from 15K, it doesn't have to be those that voted for him

Agreed but I suspect the people organising the petitions actively got party memebers from opposition parties to canvas known registered voters to get to the petition totals. There maybe a few but I suspect they are from the opposition voters in the main

• Like 1

Â