The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

To play Devil's advocate, journalistically it makes sense.

Corbyn doing a competent speech in front of a hall full of people who love him and who clap and cheer in all the right places isn't really news.

"Corbyn now says that the Tories are shit. The crowd seem to like it /3"

"Corbyn now saying that the railways are shit and should be nationalised. Gets a cheer and a round of applause /4"

May doing a speech and not tripping over her own feet, or the stage caving in, or a stripper accidentally turning up at the wrong hall, and a room full of people who apparently hate her clapping along and laughing at her silly dancing is a bit more of a surprise, so I'd expect it to get a bit more journalistic interest.

Edited by ml1dch

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

To play Devil's advocate, journalistically it makes sense.

Corbyn doing a competent speech in front of a hall full of people who love him and who clap and cheer in all the right places isn't really news.

"Corbyn now says that the Tories are shit. The crowd seem to like it /3"

"Corbyn now saying that the railways are shit and should be nationalised. Gets a cheer and a round of applause /4"

May doing a speech and not tripping over her own feet, or the stage caving in, or a stripper accidentally turning up at the wrong hall, and a room full of people who apparently hate her clapping along and laughing at her silly dancing is a bit more of a surprise, so I'd expect it to get a bit more journalistic interest.

would be an arguable position, if the record was only for this conference season and there wasn't already literally years of this bias from LK

though admittedly she toned it down for a while when people started booing and hissing her

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ml1dch said:

It's definitely worth commenting on, and it would be odd if the media didn't mention it even if only to discuss how flat-footed and contrived it was.

What was much more newsworthy, though, was the PM saying "austerity is over" while the Chancellor was saying "austerity continues".  Imagine the media circus we would have if Corbyn and McDonnell were to state such diametrically opposite, contradictory and wholly incompatible positions within hours of each other.  We would have screaming headlines about civil war in the party, and hours of interviews.

Perhaps it was extensively covered and I missed it.  I didn't notice it on the bits of BBC radio I heard, and I don't look at press coverage other than the increasingly unreliable Guardian or things which people flag up as interesting.

Was there much coverage of it?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, peterms said:

Was there much coverage of it?

Probably about as much as the totally contradictory lines coming out of the Labour one about Brexit referendums last week. The media collectively isn't as sharp focused as it ought to be.

Rules designed to halt fracking operations if they trigger minor earthquakes could be relaxed as the shale industry begins to expand, the UK energy minister, Claire Perry, has said.

A series of small tremors seven years ago prompted tough regulations that mean even very low levels of seismic activity now require companies to suspend fracking.

The shale gas firm Cuadrilla plans to start fracking near Blackpool this week if it can see off a last-minute legal challenge on Thursday.

If seismic sensors detect anything above 0.5 magnitude on the Richter scale – far below what people can feel at the surface – the company would have to stop and review its operations.

But Perry has told a fellow Conservative MP that the monitoring system was “set at an explicitly cautious level … as we gain experience in applying these measures, the trigger levels can be adjusted upwards without compromising the effectiveness of the controls”.

The comments were made in a letter to Kevin Hollinrake, the MP for Thirsk, Malton and Filey, whose constituency has several prospective fracking sites. The letter was obtained by Greenpeace’s investigative unit, Unearthed.

Grauniad

• Sad 2

Michael Gove and the rest of the UK Cabinet have skipped a key international summit on climate change a day after a landmark UN report warned that “urgent” action was needed to avoid global warming disaster.

Mr Gove’s department confirmed the environment secretary was not able to attend the meeting of EU environment ministers in Luxembourg, which is specifically about fighting climate change by cutting CO2 emissions, as well as other environmental matters such as biodiversity.

Though the meeting was attended by Mr Gove’s top counterparts from countries including France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Sweden, he instead sent one of his junior ministers, Therese Coffey, to cover for him – with no member of the UK Cabinet present at the summit.

The environment secretary, widely disliked in Brussels for his high-profile role in the Brexit campaign, has failed to attend any of the EU council meetings since he came to office, always sending deputies instead. As well as Ms Coffey, Claire Perry, a middle-ranking minister at the business department who oversees climate change policy also attended. 

But Mr Gove's non-attendance at Tuesday’s important meeting following the IPCC report recommending “rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society” angered environmentalists, who said his “failure to engage” was damning and showed the limited extent of the government's ambitions.

European ministers used the meeting to adopt a tougher position on climate change emphasising “the unprecedented urgency which is needed to step up global efforts to avoid the dangerous effects of climate change” and to work on new CO2 emissions standards for cars across the bloc.

It came after Monday’s report by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said that the planet would reach the crucial 1.5C warming as early as 2030 under current greenhouse gas emission levels: risking wildfires, extreme droughts, floods, and serious famine.

Green MP Caroline Lucas told The Independent: “Yesterday's IPCC report exposed the Government's approach to tackling climate change as completely inadequate. Michael Gove's failure to engage with the EU Environment Council tells us everything we need to know about whether they plan to take the urgent action necessary to avoid disaster.

“With just 12 years left to turn things around, we need an environment secretary dedicated to working across borders to create a fairer, healthier, safer society – not a self-promoting architect of an environmentally destructive Brexit.”

Independent

Well I took his use of the word challenge (positive) to indicate we need to help people better understand the UC and get them more money

numerous people have intentional changed his word to Problem (negative ) and gone off on one about bad press 

Hence they ignored what he actually said 

4 hours ago, peterms said:

It looks like Mercer has been vociferously defending his position by telling everyone that those words were the words of someone working at his 'local DWP job centre' (I thought all claims for UC were made and managed online?) and by tweeting links to an article written by a bloke from the CSJ in which he tells us to "Ignore the hysteria, UC is working" whilst also telling us the following:

Universal Credit, which was designed by my organisation, the Centre for Social Justice.

About which Portes has tweeted the following:

I'll just add my tuppence on something mentioned in the CSJ article, by Mercer himself and commented upon by Portes and others: transition payments/transitional arrangement. These transitional arrangements, even if they do happen, are temporary. At some point (normally a change in circumstances, however minor) will trigger te end of that transitional protection.

It's likely to be the same disingenuous line that Lord Fraud, Duncan Smith and Pickles (for some reason I can particularly remember him repeating it) came out with when people moved from Incapacity Benefit to ESA. Yes, there were cash payments to top up the ESA to the previous IB level so no one lost out when moving across but once on the new benefit, people lost that transitional amount (for example when the 365 day limit of the contribution-based ESA claim was reached).

Edited by snowychap
Added in a comment about Pickles
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Well I took his use of the word challenge (positive) to indicate we need to help people better understand the UC and get them more money

numerous people have intentional changed his word to Problem (negative ) and gone off on one about bad press 

Hence they ignored what he actually said 

I have honestly tried to put it in your way and I can't see how it makes any sense:

'Our biggest [challenge/goal/opportunity, not problem] with UC is the bad press it gets (some self inflicted obvs), and therefore some of our hardest to reach communities (eg disabled) don't come forward, and go for longer on less money than they are entitled to'. 

He's clearly describing problems, not opportunities. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have honestly tried to put it in your way and I can't see how it makes any sense:

'Our biggest [challenge/goal/opportunity, not problem] with UC is the bad press it gets (some self inflicted obvs), and therefore some of our hardest to reach communities (eg disabled) don't come forward, and go for longer on less money than they are entitled to'. 

He's clearly describing problems, not opportunities. 

And the problem he describes is some people, eg disabled, underclaiming because they have heard bad things about UC via the (implied unfair) bad press.  People losing what would be a very significant part of their meagre allowance, not a problem, or "challenge".

The tories are now thinking they may not get away with savage  cuts on this scale, and may have to reinstate some of the money.  It is a political calculation about their own self-interest; they were quite  content to inflict this damage on the most vulnerable if they can get away with it.

Lower than vermin, indeed.  They don't change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I watched QT last night and they had some young, fresh Tory called Ross Thomson on.

My word, he was a legitimate moron.

Not just a moron for a Tory, but a moron in his own regard.

It’s a prerequisite to join the Tories isn’t it.

Â