The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

And despite that Hunted on the run thing, he still managed to turn up to do voting in parliament.

Did he? Was he not absent for a session of the Health Committee?

You're probably right that it's about profile. It's about his profile just like this stuff about Universal Credit is. If the recent harrumphing was genuine then I doubt he'd have voted to remove the "work-related activity component" from the Employment and Support Allowance, for example.

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

The problems with UC aren't his doing.

He, personally is not responsible for each and every failing of UC, no.

Johnny Mercer has:

consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability

0 votes for, 8 votes against, between 2015-2016

Johnny Mercer has:

almost always voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits

(21 votes for, 0 votes against, 2 absences between 2015-2016

'Carry on'. :rolleyes:

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I'm confused.

Isn't he saying, that the benefits system shouldn't be cut in anyway, but it should be (because the public which pays into the benefit system through taxes) reformed to encourage people to get back into work, rather than live on it with no incentive to get back into a job? 

I don't understand what the problem is there to be honest.  The benefit system should be there to help people who find themselves out of work or who need time to retrain so they can get new jobs?   

It shouldn't be used as a tool to pay for prolonged periods of unemployement, if that person claiming is capable and able to get another job. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm confused.

Isn't he saying, that the benefits system shouldn't be cut in anyway, but it should be (because the public which pays into the benefit system through taxes) reformed to encourage people to get back into work, rather than live on it with no incentive to get back into a job? 

I don't understand what the problem is there to be honest.  The benefit system should be there to help people who find themselves out of work or who need time to retrain so they can get new jobs?   

It shouldn't be used as a tool to pay for prolonged periods of unemployement, if that person claiming is capable and able to get another job. 

The point is the actions don't match the words, therefore his words are hypocritical posturing bullshit

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

The point is the actions don't match the words, therefore his words are hypocritical posturing bullshit

Taking his words at face value, his words are a criticism of his owm party/gov't plans to cut 2 billion quid from the welfare (UC) bill. He appears to be saying the old system of benefits encouraged people to not work, he didn't like that, he felt UC encouraged people to work, but they shouldn't be punished by benefit cuts.

I strongly suspect he's a an utter twunt, but on this specific thing I can see his line of thinking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm confused.

i would say that its that belief that is resulting in large numbers of the working class now happily voting for the tories

might not make logical sense but the negative aspect of the tories, the likes of jacob rees-mogg, are people on the TV not the real world, the people who see the benefits system as a career choice, they're your neighbours, you see them everyday and you despise them, they're who labour represent

the council estate i grew up on labour cant get a sniff, not been a labour councillor in the 17 years i've been voting, kidderminster overall a working class town, tory MP, 11 councillors 7 of them tory 2 labour (and the 2 labour ones beat the tory counterpart by 10 votes and 20 votes so it was very close

and just to make it pleasing for myself this is the results - 

image.thumb.png.9b64f1026f0eab74f5dba13af5788eaf.png

the 1 number invalid ballot paper...that would be me writing "they're all useless" in a thick black marker pen 

• Like 1

They gave it a couple of minutes on Newsnight.

Their interpretation was that he'd said the government was a shit show and he wouldn't vote for them. Whatever his intended message was, it's been taken by Newsnight as a funny tory boy meltdown. 

The minister spearheading the UK’s renewed push for fracking has admitted she has never been to a shale gas well.

In the week that fracking restarted in the UK for the first time in seven years, the energy minister, Claire Perry, revealed to a fellow Conservative MP that she had not yet had the chance to visit a shale site.

Perry has spent the past few days calling on the public to “trust the science of shale gas extraction” and insisted that fracking is compatible with tackling climate change.

But asked how many times she had visited a shale exploration site, she said: “I have had a number of meetings with stakeholders interested in shale gas exploration, but have not yet had an opportunity to visit a site.”

The written parliamentary answer came in response to a question by the Tory MP Lee Rowley, who has prospective shale sites in his constituency.

Rose Dickinson, Friends of the Earth campaigner, said: “Unlike the local community who protest outside the Preston New Road site in Lancashire every single day, it is surprising that the minister has never even been curious enough to visit.

“That the minister can cheerlead this unpopular industry without meeting the people living next door – the people who have to put up with trucks, noise, and the industrialisation of their local countryside - is astounding.”

Perry has positioned herself at the centre of the government’s drive to support fracking firms, and vigorously defended the controversial technique in the face of criticism from MPs, green groups and campaigners.

Gruaniad

She's met the people that profit though, that's ok then.

It's unlikely that you've been troubling yourselves with what Baron Black of Crossharbour, peer and former Torygraph editor, is up to these days, but I can tell you that he's writing astonishing editorials in the Canadian media in favour of an anti-semite mayoral candidate in Toronto named Faith Goldy who has said the fourteen words and gone on The Daily Stormer podcast:

Conrad Black: Nothing Faith Goldy has done warrants this assault on her campaign

'The portrayal of mayoral candidate Faith Goldy as a white supremacist, and use of that unfounded characterization to blackball her from candidates’ debates, and ban her advertisements from CTV is outrageous.

[. . .]

The most grievous of the self-inflicted wounds to her reputation occurred when Goldy made, as she has admitted, a terrible mistake, and appeared on a podcast conducted by a white supremacist organization, The Daily Stormer, a deliberate reference to the Nazi newspaper Der Sturmer. It is a loathsome outlet, but though she said nothing hateful during her interview, Ezra Levant summarily fired her from Rebel Media, where she had been a commentator, for appearing on a podcast affiliated with the neo-Nazi movement. The incident gave the impression that there was more credibility than there actually was to the slanders on Goldy as a racist or anti-Semite.

[. . .]

She has at times been coy about using the third-rail 14-word catchphrase of some egregious white supremacists: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children,” provocatively making the point that by changing “white” to various other non-white adjectives neutralizes any offence. She is technically correct that the words are unexceptionable, but she should have known better than to create any perception that she gives credence to white supremacist ideas.'

http://archive.is/5u7dd

You'll be happy to learn that the bloke remains a peer in the House of Lords, albeit that he's been on a leave of absence since 2012. There's absolutely nothing to stop him returning to our legislature, should he so choose. 

Just now, snowychap said:

I'm very glad that I gave up on both Question Time and This Week many moons ago.

not watched QT in a while, but I do sometimes watch TW

Started watching it last night but wandered off, came back in the room just in time to see the full version of Bobbie playing an excellent straight guy. 

I saw a bit of Caroline Flint on that show, she's a retard

She accused Alistair Campbell of being a "Blairite", it's like she was insulting herself to get in Jeremy's good books even though she'd be better off in the Tory Party

She also got magic mushrooms classed as a Class A drug by using a completely discredited science paper as I recall. She was also one of the MPs who voted to keep MPs expenses secret (after flipping her homes)

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I saw a bit of Caroline Flint on that show, she's a retard

She accused Alistair Campbell of being a "Blairite", it's like she was insulting herself to get in Jeremy's good books even though she'd be better off in the Tory Party

She also got magic mushrooms classed as a Class A drug by using a completely discredited science paper as I recall. She was also one of the MPs who voted to keep MPs expenses secret (after flipping her homes)

Yes, she's always been intolerable. She's a good argument for primaries/reselections or whatever; no way Labour couldn't get someone less awful elected in Don Valley. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, she's always been intolerable. She's a good argument for primaries/reselections or whatever; no way Labour couldn't get someone less awful elected in Don Valley. 

When you have someone on TW who seems to agree with every single word Michael Portillo says (and Vice Versa) then you are clearly in the wrong party

Portillo also managed to trot out the "I remember 1973 and we were doing quite well" line unchallenged but that's hardly surprising considering Andrew Neill ceased to be unbiased a long time ago. Essentially the programme was three Brexiteers versus Alistair Campbell, as a piece of unbiased TV it completely failed

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

When you have someone on TW who seems to agree with every single word Michael Portillo says (and Vice Versa) then you are clearly in the wrong party

Portillo also managed to trot out the "I remember 1973 and we were doing quite well" line unchallenged but that's hardly surprising considering Andrew Neill ceased to be unbiased a long time ago. Essentially the programme was three Brexiteers versus Alistair Campbell, as a piece of unbiased TV it completely failed

I take no pleasure in the conclusion, but I feel that the BBC stopped being unbiased some time ago. Andrew Neil, of course, has never been unbiased, though he used to feel some need to at least try to hide it, or tone it down. 

• Like 4

Â