The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

No they don't.  EU Directive 91/440 expressly forbids it

The Scotland Act of 2016 allows Public sector bodies  to bid for railway franchises , so it would remove shareholders from the equation (which was Xaan's comment I was referring to)   , think you are talking about re-nationalising the railways ( which wasn't mentioned )

54 minutes ago, Xann said:

How could we possibly blame the man that sat on his hands during the Southern fiasco?

feel free ,  long as we are agreed that we blame Brown for global financial crises 

Jo Johnson making his own play for leader at some point ?

be quite amusing to see 2 brothers battle it out for a leadership election , hope one of them doens't doing anything untoward like stab the other one in the back

Edited by tonyh29

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Do the the SNP have the powers to merge rail maintenance with the service providers and remove shareholders from the equation?

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

The Scotland Act of 2016 allows Public sector bodies  to bid for railway franchises , so it would remove shareholders from the equation (which was Xaan's comment I was referring to)   , think you are talking about re-nationalising the railways ( which wasn't mentioned )

Not the same thing, the shareholders part is irrelevant. EU Directive 91/440 prevents rail maintenance and service providers being the same body, in that there must be transparent fees between the two separate entities i.e. the rail infrastructure body charging the rail service provider for use of the rail infrastructure. 

It's the Swedes we have to blame for that particular mess, it was their experiment that led to the 1991 EU Directive

Edit: a cursory glance at Swedish Railways makes me think they didn't give the experiment enough time to prove how crap it was, Bankrupt companies and the worst performing high speed trains in Europe and possibly the world

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not the same thing, the shareholders part is irrelevant. EU Directive 91/440 prevents rail maintenance and service providers being the same body, in that there must be transparent fees between the two separate entities i.e. the rail infrastructure body charging the rail service provider for use of the rail infrastructure. 

It's the Swedes we have to blame for that particular mess, it was their experiment that led to the 1991 EU Directive

ah , got you  .....if only there was something we could do about EU directives :detect:

so the original posting was blaming the government over something it can't legally control  anyway ?

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

ah , got you  .....if only there was something we could do about EU directives :detect:

so the original posting was blaming the government over something it can't legally control  anyway ?

You are Jeremy Corblimey, I claim my £5

That's his argument for leaving the EU, when all we actually need is to have two separate nationalised industries (just like nearly every other EU country)

On the second part, firstly it was the SNP that was being blamed and yes

1 hour ago, blandy said:

There's nothing in the EU laws to prevent that.

you’d have to keep rails and trains separate and where you have capacity allow other providers to bid to run trains ... it can be circumvented but   I believe there is a law in place (4th railway package )

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you’d have to keep rails and trains separate and where you have capacity allow other providers to bid to run trains ... it can be circumvented but   I believe there is a law in place (4th railway package )

you allow privatised freight

Â