The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Anyone remember this lady?

I was sure we debated her extensively at the time, but a search of this thread and the Labour one only turns up a couple of posts. Anyway, Aditya Chakrabortty, who is one of maximum two or three worthwhile people at the Guardian these days, followed up and it's interesting what's happened:

'[. . .]

To see how this works in practice, ignore the autocued remarks made in Birmingham this week and think about another speech, made three years ago by a woman in the audience for Question Time. Perhaps you remember Michelle Dorrell: dressed in a grey jacket and minding her Ps and Qs, she suddenly exploded at the then-cabinet minister Amber Rudd for defending cuts in tax credits.

Dorrell told Rudd that she’d voted Tory six months earlier – but now she was furious. “I work bloody hard for my money to provide for my children … and you’re going to take it away from me and them. I can hardly afford the rent, the bills and you’re going to take more from me.” And audience members in Dover started chanting at Rudd: “Shame on you! Shame on you!”

At the time, I wrote on these pages that that was a seminal moment in the politics of austerity: the point at which the government could no longer pretend that the cuts were happening only to shirkers. And Dorrell was exactly the kind of natural Tory voter the party could ill afford to lose.

Dorrell told me this weekend that she’d never planned to go off like that, but when Rudd spoke she felt “a force from inside my belly”. She’d lost her job in 2011, had to go through the horror of the benefits system and then retrained and set up a nail bar. She’d played it by the book, done everything the Tories told her to do – and still she was, to use an old phrase, just about managing. Instead of birthday and Christmas presents, her dad would buy £100 of food from Sainsbury’s or Lidl and restock the fridge.

At first business went well, but the economy in her hometown of Folkestone is as moribund as anywhere else in non-metropolitan Britain. She’s just closed her nail business and works in a local shop on a zero-hours contract, getting eight to 12 hours of shifts a week. She needs more, but the manager says the company will never give her 16 hours because they don’t want to pay employers’ national insurance. She still needs benefits to top up wages, yet the benefits system keeps getting meaner. In April 2011, 6.4 million families were on tax credits, according to Carl Emmerson of the Institute for Fiscal Studies. By this April that was down to 3.8 million: of those losing out, a tiny number may have moved to universal credit – but many millions more simply got poorer.

Dorrell, who is in her late 30s, describes herself as “a child of Thatcherite economics”. Her parents are Tory, her hometown is Tory. And in the 1980s, someone like her might have gone along with the Conservatives’ promises. In the last couple of years she’s become radicalised, joining Labour and Momentum.

She talks about local GP surgeries closing and overcrowding in classrooms. Talking to me, she looks out of her bedroom window on to a car park where drug dealers hang about. Her children are still playing by the rules – and getting punished for it. Her eldest daughter is at university, set to graduate with £65,000 of debt. For her children, austerity is all they’ve known – at home, in the classroom, at the start of their working lives. What the winter of discontent was to the Labour party for a decade – the indelible stain, the warning at the ballot box – the decade of cuts may prove to be for May’s party. “The Tories are screwed for a generation, aren’t they?” says Dorrell. “My kids will grow up knowing they’ve been screwed over by that lot.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/01/theresa-may-voters-tory-policies-labour

Austerity has **** sucked. 

Except of course you can't be in the EU unless you accept Austerity can you. EU rules state Budget deficit must be less than 3% or national debt more than 60% of GDP. I'm not sure if you are pro or anti Brexit, but I'm sure you realise being in the EU pretty much bans anything other than austerity

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Except of course you can't be in the EU unless you accept Austerity can you. EU rules state Budget deficit must be less than 3% or national debt more than 60% of GDP. I'm not sure if you are pro or anti Brexit, but I'm sure you realise being in the EU pretty much bans anything other than austerity

These rules must be very effective!

Exactly half of the countries in the EU had a national debt of more than 60% of GDP in the first quarter of 2018, and the EU average was 81.5% of GDP (the Euro area average was slightly higher, at 86.8% of GDP). A full list of countries failing to meet these rules:

• Greece (180.4% of GDP)
  • Italy (133.4% of GDP)
  • Portugal (126.4% of GDP)
  • Belgium (106.3% of GDP)
  • Spain (98.8% of GDP)
  • France (97.7% of GDP)
  • Cyprus (94.7% of GDP)
  • UK (85.8% of GDP)
  • Austria (77.2% of GDP)
  • Croatia (76.2% of GDP)
  • Slovenia (75.1% of GDP)
  • Hungary (73.9% of GDP)
  • Ireland (69.3% of GDP)
  • Germany (62.9% of GDP)

The UK has been in breach of these rules ever since 2008, and was previously in breach of them from 2003 to 2005. Only Luxembourg and Sweden have never been in breach of them. Data available at:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/269684/national-debt-in-eu-countries-in-relation-to-gross-domestic-product-gdp/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_and_Growth_Pact#Member_states_by_SGP_criteria

Also, as I think you might have noticed, we're leaving the EU on March 29th next year. 

• Like 1

You're not telling me these EU rules mean jack shit are you. I mean  50% of the countries are breaking the rules according to you. and about 70% of the EU budget comes from countries breaking the rules. Bloody hell. do they just pick the rules they want to follow and ignore the rest

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Tories future in secure hands it seems.  Slogans such as 'f^ck the nhs' and 'choose a fighter Enoch was right' will go down a treat.

DoiLgalXgAAClyY.jpg:large

Theme from another topic, the 80's are back

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

meh, student stuff

Agreed, in the past, it would have been Hang Mandela, Viva Pinochet etc 

Meanwhile, the other side is just as naively trying to do what they do to extremes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Hope there's a 12 hour wait in A&E when he gets his face smashed in.

that's the spirit , why waste a good rope hanging Tory's when you can simply smash their face in

• Thanks 1

She's not even started to speak and I'm reminded of what a twunt she is by her dancing, what an absolute moron she is.

She's ruined ABBA for millions of semi alcoholic middle-aged housewives across the country

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

She's not even started to speak and I'm reminded of what a twunt she is by her dancing, what an absolute moron she is.

She's ruined ABBA for millions of semi alcoholic middle-aged housewives across the country

I saw the dancing and switched it off because as cringe worthy as that was it was still only go to go down hill from there as soon as she opened her mouth.

• Like 1

Â