The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, bickster said:

She's not an MP, who are you going to kill to get her parachuted in? :mrgreen:

Douglas-Home wasn’t an MP when he became leader and PM  ..though they did then go down the parachute route... perhaps Boris is going to make way for her :) 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Douglas-Home wasn’t an MP when he became leader and PM  ..though they did then go down the parachute route... perhaps Boris is going to make way for her :) 

Bit of an emergency replacement that one though with Macmillan resigning on ill health grounds. I suppose May could become rusted up or something...

She's Gay Female and young,  and also a very good orator. She is also a very good politician.  She roasts Sturgeon most times. And she put Labour into third place in Scotland for the first time in over 70 years.She would go down very well in Parliament. 

Being Gay and Female is not an issue before anyone suggests otherwise about my comment. I mentioned it because it's a polar opposite to Pale Stale and Male which is often leveled at our politicians.

Couldn't you say that about Corbyn though. Right Blair won more than one election. The only Labour PM to do so, ever. I know when he goes we'll elect the total opposite, that'll work.

I think they would elect anyone who would win an election.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, colhint said:

Couldn't you say that about Corbyn though. Right Blair won more than one election. The only Labour PM to do so, ever. I know when he goes we'll elect the total opposite, that'll work.

I think they would elect anyone who would win an election.

Are you replying to my comment? Nobody else has written anything, but I don't see how you're replying to what I said?

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you replying to my comment? Nobody else has written anything, but I don't see how you're replying to what I said?

Corbyn was not wanted to be leader by the labour mps, but is leader. I think that’s Cols parallel.  And I agree with him that the Tory MPs will go with whoever they think will give them the best chance of winning. The party members, however, are far less pragmatic and far more ......y’know.

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Haven’t the rules changed since then?

My understanding was that a Tory PM must be the Party Leader and the Party Leader must be an MP.

They're gunning for Hammond now. Clearly the Treasury isn't singing from the happy song sheet, and therefore must go.

Meanwhile the foreign secretary is a walking embarrassment but seemingly bulletproof.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Corbyn was not wanted to be leader by the labour mps, but is leader. I think that’s Cols parallel.  And I agree with him that the Tory MPs will go with whoever they think will give them the best chance of winning. The party members, however, are far less pragmatic and far more ......y’know.

Ah okay, I see the point. Apologies @colhint

But no, I don't think the situations are alike at all, because as points out, Ruth Davidson is not likely to be popular with party members. The barriers to her winning are as follows:

1] She's in the wrong parliament, and it would be difficult to move her to Westminster,

2] She has a small base of support among MP's (presumably most of the Scottish Tories would support her, but she would need to quickly gather nearly 100 supporters amongst the parliamentary party just to avoid a quick elimination and it's unlikely that there are that many who would like her)

3] She's a Remainer who wants to stay in the Single Market, which is a popular position in Scotland amongst Tories but not in England,

4] There will be many other candidates, several of whom have been gathering support behind the scenes for months,

5] Even if, in a very unlikely chance, she were to get to a final two, she will be less popular with Tory members (who, let's remember, have an average age of 70) than any other possible candidate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Haven’t the rules changed since then?

My understanding was that a Tory PM must be the Party Leader and the Party Leader must be an MP.

tbh I don't know , couple of articles I've read recently suggest "being an MP is not a requirement of being prime minister." .. but nobody seems to be mentioning  specific Tory party rules about becoming leader

fwiw I don't think Davidson wants to be leader of the Tory party / would be PM just yet anyway  ... but the danger for her is that she may not be golden girl in 5 years time and thus any opportunity would be lost  .. so although very very very  unlikely , I wouldn't totally rule her out

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbh I don't know , couple of articles I've read recently suggest "being an MP is not a requirement of being prime minister." .. but nobody seems to be mentioning  specific Tory party rules about becoming leader

fwiw I don't think Davidson wants to be leader of the Tory party / would be PM just yet anyway  ... but the danger for her is that she may not be golden girl in 5 years time and thus any opportunity would be lost  .. so although very very very  unlikely , I wouldn't totally rule her out

I think we've done this before when people were going on about Davidson.

This is from the University of Essex:

CONSERVATIVE PARTY

Constitution of the Conservative Party (as amended July 2004)

Part III

Leadership

10.  There shall be a Leader of the Party (referred to in this Constitution as “the Leader”) drawn from those elected to Parliament, who shall be elected by the Party Members and Scottish Party Members in accordance with the provisions of Schedule 2.

For an up to date constitution, I think one needs to write to the 1922 Committee but if it had changed from this then I'd have thought it would be common knowledge.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

....Ruth Davidson is not likely to be popular with party members. The barriers to her winning are as follows:

1] She's in the wrong parliament, and it would be difficult to move her to Westminster,

2] She has a small base of support among MP's (presumably most of the Scottish Tories would support her, but she would need to quickly gather nearly 100 supporters amongst the parliamentary party just to avoid a quick elimination and it's unlikely that there are that many who would like her)

3] She's a Remainer who wants to stay in the Single Market, which is a popular position in Scotland amongst Tories but not in England,

4] There will be many other candidates, several of whom have been gathering support behind the scenes for months,

5] Even if, in a very unlikely chance, she were to get to a final two, she will be less popular with Tory members (who, let's remember, have an average age of 70) than any other possible candidate

Yeah, but apart from that....

Actually it's a shame. She seems almost normal (for a tory). She's (or someone like her) is probably the type of person who will lead them next time, when they're trying to get back in.

They're so self destructive, so incompetent, so riddled with ambitions and civil wars and all that, and then there's the almighty bollex that is Brexit, so unbelievably they're bad enough that Corbynite Labour will get in almost by default, I think.

Sanity is heading off towards the horizon at a rate of knots.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, but apart from that....

Actually it's a shame. She seems almost normal (for a tory). She's (or someone like her) is probably the type of person who will lead them next time, when they're trying to get back in.

They're so self destructive, so incompetent, so riddled with ambitions and civil wars and all that, and then there's the almighty bollex that is Brexit, so unbelievably they're bad enough that Corbynite Labour will get in almost by default, I think.

Sanity is heading off towards the horizon at a rate of knots.

We've already voted for this government and for Brexit.  Sanity went a long, long time ago.

Â