The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

regarding "voting for" May.... I guess people can only vote for what's put in front of them ..end of the day the other alternatives didn't convince enough people they were credible or a better choice  ...  I suppose you could blame the people , but personally I'd blame the leader / people that failed to convince ...

When I pitch for a project and don't get it, I suppose I could just say the clients are morons , rather than accept the fact maybe my pitch wasn't good enough ?

Yes, this. Essentially neither party is any good. The Tories are an absolute clusterfeck and have beeen for a good while. Labour got nowhere near to kicking them out. The Tory vote even went up. 

Equally, the tories faced with a Labour party that's had multiple (it seems) attempts to oust its own leader,  which has some lunatic policies and pie in the sky ideas, which has people from out of 1971 as the front bench - still the tories can't put them away.

They're both as big a mess as each other. Though the tories are a sad mess and Labour a happy mess. T'was the other way round a year ago.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Considering how low their approval ratings were when the election was announced 6 weeks before  (due to a two year long smear campaign), I'd say we saw one of the biggest surges of support in a short amount of time ever.

There simply wasn't the time for Labour to catch them.  Considering everyone had Labour down as a cert to be more or less wiped out of parliament, they performed brilliantly.  Hold another election now and not saying it would be a Labour majority but it would certainly be a different story.

Last week

As Labour conference in Brighton draws to a close the latest YouGov/Times voting intention survey sees the party leading their Conservative rivals by four points. Voting intention for Labour stands at 43% (from 42% in our last voting intention survey two weeks ago) while the Conservatives find themselves on 39% (from 41%).

Elsewhere, Liberal Democrat voting intention stands at 7% (unchanged a fortnight ago) while 10% would vote for other parties (from 9%).

While Labour supporters will doubtless be cheered to see the party retaining their lead over the Tories, Jeremy Corbyn continues to trail behind Theresa May as the person Britons view as the best Prime Minister. Currently, 37% of people believe May would be a superior PM, while 29% say Corbyn would be better. A further 33% can't choose between them.

I imagine he'll catch up a bit more after yesterday's fiasco, but as of last week he was still seen as worse than May, even though Labour is seen as slightly better/less bad than the tories

a positive from that one could infer is that it proves people are rallying round the ideas and the direction of the party, rather than the idea of this cult of corbyn. Whilst there are no doubt those who might be mad enough to go "corbyn or bust" it seems plenty of people want the Labour party to go where they are heading, but preferably with a better leader.

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Considering how low their approval ratings were when the election was announced 6 weeks before  (due to a two year long smear campaign), I'd say we saw one of the biggest surges of support in a short amount of time ever.

There simply wasn't the time for Labour to catch them.  Considering everyone had Labour down as a cert to be more or less wiped out of parliament, they performed brilliantly.  Hold another election now and not saying it would be a Labour majority but it would certainly be a different story.

To me Labour are a football club, who were in grave danger of getting relegated, but got a new manager, and managed to make it into the Europa League, just missing out on the Champions League. Hopefully, now in the following season, they're going to take the league by storm and win the League and Cup double.  

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

a positive from that one could infer is that it proves people are rallying round the ideas and the direction of the party, rather than the idea of this cult of corbyn. Whilst there are no doubt those who might be mad enough to go "corbyn or bust" it seems plenty of people want the Labour party to go where they are heading, but preferably with a better leader.

Some of us want full Communism by Friday. ;)

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Last week

I imagine he'll catch up a bit more after yesterday's fiasco, but as of last week he was still seen as worse than May, even though Labour is seen as slightly better/less bad than the tories

Which is crazy, but then there's an awful lot of idiots that buy this 'terrorist sympathiser' bullshit.  A scroll down the comments on most news articles will reveal that.

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Which is crazy, but then there's an awful lot of idiots that buy this 'terrorist sympathiser' bullshit.  A scroll down the comments on most news articles will reveal that.

Ah, you mean like all tories say "n%¤ in a woodpile"? go look under some Guardian articles on May and you'll see the same type of trolls on the left side. In fact, I'd even wager that you'll find a lot more trolls on the left in general than you'll find on the right. They're louder and nastier on social media.

Edited by magnkarl

30 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'm still (however many pages into this general discussion) waiting to hear what it is about Jeremy Corbyn that makes him so terrible. 

The only thing I've managed to glean so far is "because the Conservatives say so". Can anyone actually give clear reasonings as to why he is so dangerous as a potential leader of the country?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

When I pitch for a project and don't get it , I suppose I could just say the clients are morons , rather than accept the fact maybe my pitch wasn't good enough ?

If your pitch had content, actual aims and ways to achieve them and got beaten by someone who purely repeated sound bites such as "strong and stable" whilst slagging you off then, yes, I think you'd be in the right to assume your client(s) are morons.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

I can sort of agree that he speaks well, but that is only if he's selected what he's to speak about. He's got a history full of gaffes that are very inedible to a lot of voters and if you can't get closer than what he did with Labour during an election where the conservatives had one of their worst performances in history it's not really much to brag about.

Both parties are shadows of their former self - Corbyn has purged Labour of anyone who has moderate views and the Conservatives are acting like three parties in one. Look at their front benches, the fact that Diane Abbott and Rees-Mogg are big hitters in their parties now speaks volumes of how little quality they have to offer.

Rees-Mogg isn't in the cabinet / front benches  or even close to it is he ?   .. though he does seem to have picked up a bit of a cult following it is true

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If your pitch had content, actual aims and ways to achieve them and got beaten by someone who purely repeated sound bites such as "strong and stable" whilst slagging you off then, yes, I think you'd be in the right to assume your client(s) are morons.

If I couldn't beat someone who could only repeat sound bites whilst slagging me off  , I'd be calling myself a moron and resigning ... not claiming victory :) 

• Like 1

Doesn't matter what party they stand for, the next big time winner in politics will be Cameron-esque.  Someone who looks like they know what they're doing, and dresses smartly.

Milliband absolutely failed to look like he knew what he was doing, and looked like tim tim nice but dim (ironically a tory!).

(the vast majority of) People want to relate to their leading politician, they want sensible decisions, they want an NHS, they want jobs, they want more money - avoid talking about europe and you've got your winner right there. 

It's like that bit in The Simpsons when the kids are asked what they want in an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, real-life situations, relatable to the children, but based in space with whacked out ideas whom nobody would ever experience.  

Unfortunately, out budget doesn't quite meet those expectations :)

I want my 90s golden period. 

40 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Some of us want full Communism by Friday. ;)

Have I already done the 4 day week and nothing gets done on a Friday gag  ?

(yes I know I have , but then you've also done the Communism by Friday line before :) )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

There simply wasn't the time for Labour to catch them. 

I dunno if that is the case ?

Wasn't it more that the marginal the Tory's thought they would win ..they didn't 

for sure Kensington bucked a trend with some Brexit related voting ( I believe) but it wasn't really that the Tories got wiped out a la 1997  , they increased their vote share , just didn't do enough in the key marginals  , be that tactical voting , not getting the message out or good campaigning by the labour party

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If I couldn't beat someone who could only repeat sound bites whilst slagging me off  , I'd be calling myself a moron and resigning ... not claiming victory :) 

You know that isn't true at all ;) 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I dunno. I take your point Rodders, but personally feel that if either lot were remotely competent, they'd be miles and miles  ahead of the their opponents. I take it as indicating that they're both absolutely awful. Which is basically a tragedy.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I'm still (however many pages into this general discussion) waiting to hear what it is about Jeremy Corbyn that makes him so terrible. 

The only thing I've managed to glean so far is "because the Conservatives say so". Can anyone actually give clear reasonings as to why he is so dangerous as a potential leader of the country?

Wrong thread - this one is for the Baby chompers Bobzy. 

• Haha 2

Ultimately, the thing history might remember Corbyn for is his influence on the Conservative party - they are currently desperately reaching for a soft Conservatism, trying to win over young voters and people who whilst not yet ready for the full experience find that they agree with a lot of Corbyn's ideas, but want them delivered by a more (small c) conservative government.

Somewhere out there is a smart young presentable politician with charm and charisma who will be able to sell the idea of a new Conservatism on the back of a pack of lies - like Tony Blair did, but in the right party.

Â