The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's currently under review for my area. The city centre is ULEZ.

Has no bearing on me as I don't drive a 2004 Peugeot Boxer.

Lucky you that doesnt have a 2004 peugeot. Lets forgot the single parent who can only afford one of them then 🤔 

As i expected it doesnt effect you hence why your in favor of it.

Lets see if you still have the same reply if in 10 years your car is not compliant as im aure with most things it will happen to newer cars nit like "colour example"

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Punishing the poorest yet again is a terrible idea. Its them that are going to suffer the most 

I agree it probably will. This is a government led initiative though so they should give the local authorities the resources to make sure they can implement it fairly and ensure those who can't afford to change cars are given help to do so.

The biggest piss off with today though is that the five local councils who took this court action have wasted 1 million pound of council tax payers money in legal fees.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree it probably will. This is a government led initiative though so they should give the local authorities the resources to make sure they can implement it fairly and ensure those who can't afford to change cars are given help to do so.

The biggest piss off with today though is that the five local councils who took this court action have wasted 1 million pound of council tax payers money in legal fees.

If there was a proper plan in place where you can get anywhere thats affordable, didnt hit the poorest the worst i would say yeah go for it. If they made a vow that the age of the vehicle would never be changed or the fee was lower then i wouldnt be opposed.

How many people have complained in the cost of living thread about every thing going up a few quid shopping, or mortgages etc? How do they pay this on top?

I simply dont support this scheme whegher it tories labour or the demitricparty. Its a big thumbs down for me

Lets take away cars for example, what about the other polluting things that are terrible? lLTNS for example are absolutely terrible for the environment 

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lucky you that doesnt have a 2004 peugeot. Lets forgot the single parent who can only afford one of them then 🤔 

This is a 2004 Peugeot Boxer...

image.png

My point is, this isn't a family vehicle - a lot of the ULEZ charge is aimed at companies who are driving around city centres in old heaps making deliveries etc whilst smogging everyone out.

Surely you can see the benefits of fewer 2.8l diesel vehicles belching carbon monoxide all over town?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

If only London had a half decent public transport system, people wouldn't even need cars there at all.

London's public transport is **** ing fantastic, compared with the rest of the country! 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

If only London had a half decent public transport system, people wouldn't even need cars there at all.

London has a great transport system. I've never owned a car what's the point of having one in London.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its good if you have a actual plan but this is just to make money.

It's not. The high cost is intended to make people think "I don't want to drive my car / van because it's so expensive to do so, therefore I will try to find a different way to do this". The system would work at its best if it made no money at all. 

If it were a scheme to make money, they'd price it so that people were happy to pay it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Lets take away cars for example, what about the other polluting things that are terrible? lLTNS for example are absolutely terrible for the environment 

Google has no idea what ILTNS's are.

Me either.

I am now concerned about them - does anyone know how Nigel Farage feels about them?

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

This is a 2004 Peugeot Boxer...

image.png

My point is, this isn't a family vehicle - a lot of the ULEZ charge is aimed at companies who are driving around city centres in old heaps making deliveries etc whilst smogging everyone out.

Surely you can see the benefits of fewer 2.8l diesel vehicles belching carbon monoxide all over town?

The problem is NV that this can have a knock in effect now with businesses. Now any job they will add £12.50 per day fee do it gets passsd onto the customer.

Of course we all want newer cleaner cars but how does charging someone £12.50 achieve that? Why not give £6.50 back to the consumer each time they pay the ULEZ fee each year so they can put that towards a more environmentally friendly car? Surely thats better than just charging a ridiculous amount of money each day.

Also i know you was talking about a van but lets put aside that and say it was a diesel vehicle for a single mother who simply cannot afford a new car what. What does she do??

Also can you trust a government/mayor wont i crease the ulez charge change the year of the car? You wait and see soon all cars will have to pay ulez fee in next 10 years. Thats my prediction 

59 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's not. The high cost is intended to make people think "I don't want to drive my car / van because it's so expensive to do so, therefore I will try to find a different way to do this". The system would work at its best if it made no money at all. 

If it were a scheme to make money, they'd price it so that people were happy to pay it. 

So explain to me how charging £12.50 a day helps the environment?

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

London has a great transport system. I've never owned a car what's the point of having one in London.

If you live in central london or areas around there then i agree but if youe in the outskirts u have very limited tubes

Also @blandy i had a look and the Ulez only covers a small area of Birmingham. That area will be next and im curious to see what the response will be then when it happens

59 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Exactly this. Having been in London for 20+ years now, I can’t believe how much busier the roads are now than when I first arrived. 
If I want to see my OH, I’ll have to pay congestion charge so I often take the train. It takes longer but costs about the same as a petrol/ccharge combo so I’m happy to do it. ULEZ has the same aim. It’s impossible to get anywhere quick on the roads even at midnight. Something needs to be done. 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Khan wins ULEZ vote (not suprising as its a big money maker) i expect ULEZ will be in every major city in next 10 years.

another nail in this countries coffin

I think it's a great idea and they should expand Birmingham's CAZ / ULEZ to cover most of Birmingham. They should then make it electric cars only from 2032 (2 years after the new diesel/petrol ban comes in place).

Â