The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

50 minutes ago, limpid said:

You should have a read up on the Dunning-Kruger effect (but the bit after the first peak on the graph). Experts, in particular scientists, rarely answer a specific question about hypotheses within their speciality with a "yes" or "no" until there is sufficient experimental evidence to do so (there rarely is). It's why they usually answer with percentages and probabilities.

After all, the highest goal of science is to prove its hypotheses and theories to be wrong.

Well percentages and probabilities would help here, but I could blame the BBC for not including them if available.

3 hours ago, limpid said:

After all, the highest goal of science is to prove its hypotheses and theories to be wrong.

This is the bit that always baffles the science deniers. It sounds counterintuitive, but it isn't. 

Very much like the maxim that a software test that shows zero errors is a failed test, not a successful one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

If you increase the number of small boats, there will be more naturally occurring speed bumps, thus saving the tax payer money

so increase the number of small boats to decrease the number of small boats?

I Used the Stones to Destroy the Stones | Know Your Meme

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's to everyone's benefit according Jacob Rees-Mogg. Win / Win

and global warming will melt the ice caps, making the channel wider, causing more small boat journeys unsuccessful. 
Global warning = good news for Britain 

• Like 1

Sunak’s family firm signed a billion-dollar deal with BP before PM opened new North Sea licences

A firm founded by Rishi Sunak’s father-in-law signed a billion-dollar deal with BP two months before the prime minister opened hundreds of new licences for oil and gas extraction in the North Sea.

In May, the Times of India reported that Infosys bagged a huge deal from the global energy company which is thought to be the second-largest in the history of the firm.

The Indian IT company is owned by the prime minister’s wife’s family although Sunak has insisted the matter is of “no legitimate public interest”.

It has since come to light that the IT giant has been involved in £172 million worth of public sector contracts in the UK, and even the most innocent bystanders would admit that the current drive to increase oil and gas exploration in the North Sea is more than convenient.

What’s more, it is made even more convenient by the fact that one of Infosys’ other major clients is Shell, whose CEO joined Rishi Sunak’s new business council two weeks ago and promised a “candid collaboration” with his government.

Now, I'm pretty sure that this not actually corruption and they're just stupid enough to think that this sort of thing doesn't matter, but I hope that the stench of something being not quite right hangs around them like a kipper behind a radiator. 

I dislike the tories as much as the next guy, but bloody hell people a sense of perspective.

There’s a cost of living crisis, you can’t begrudge the guy a little tickle if the opportunity arises.

• Haha 2

Nadine Dorries's constituents are not being properly represented, the prime minister has said. 

Rishi Sunak told LBC people deserved to have an MP "that represents them wherever they are". 

The former culture secretary announced in June she was standing down as MP for Mid Bedfordshire with immediate effect. 

But she later said she would not resign until she got more information about why she was denied a peerage in Boris Johnson's resignation honours list.

Ms Dorries, whose salary as an MP is £86,584,has not spoken in the Commons since June 2022. 

In his LBC interview, Mr Sunak set out what he thought people had right to expect from their MPs. 

"It's just making sure your MP is engaging with you, representing you, whether that's speaking in Parliament or being present in their constituencies doing surgeries, answering your letters.

"That's the job of an MP and all MPs should be held to that standard."

Asked if that meant Ms Dorries was failing her constituents, Mr Sunak said: "Well, at the moment, people aren't being properly represented."

——————

Downing Street has said it is important for Ms Dorries' constituents to have "certainty". But Mr Sunak can not force her to stand down from Parliament, outside a general election, although he could suspend her from the Conservative Party.

Mr rule with integrity found wanting once again.

Link

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Mr rule with integrity found wanting once again.

Link

Not sure what action you think he should take. He can't stop her from being an MP.

He could remove the Tory whip, but I'm not sure "not resigning as quickly as everyone expected" is really grounds for it.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Not sure what action you think he should take. He can't stop her from being an MP.

He could remove the Tory whip, but I'm not sure "not resigning as quickly as everyone expected" is really grounds for it.

It was in the story I quoted, party leader confirms one of his MP’s is failing in her role as being an MP. He can’t force her to stand down, but he can kick her out of the party.

He won’t, because he’s weaker than a pint of Carlsberg with ice cubes in it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was in the story I quoted, party leader confirms one of his MP’s is failing in her role as being an MP. He can’t force her to stand down, but he can kick her out of the party.

He won’t, because he’s weaker than a pint of Carlsberg with ice cubes in it.

Yes but the longer the time she carries on not resigning the better it is for Sunak

What he says in public and what he actually wants are not the same thing

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Yes but the longer the time she carries on not resigning the better it is for Sunak

What he says in public and what he actually wants are not the same thing

I agree, my reply was more about the fact that her main “crime” is not about promising to resign and then not resigning. It’s the fact she’s claiming her £86k salary but isn’t doing her job.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s the fact she’s claiming her £86k salary but isn’t doing her job.

She doesn't have a job description, there are no performance parameters for an MP. It is up to the individual how they best represent their constituents

Sinn Fein currently have 7 elected MPs who have never sat and have no intention of sitting in the HoC, I'm not sure you could even introduce rules such as people are suggesting in relation to Dorries without causing mayhem in NI. You can't have one rule for one, one rule for another. Now admittedly, the SF MPs are always elected on the understanding that they will never sit but all the same, you still be having new by-elections in NI every few months in those 7 constituencies

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

She doesn't have a job description, there are no performance parameters for an MP. It is up to the individual how they best represent their constituents

Sinn Fein currently have 7 elected MPs who have never sat and have no intention of sitting in the HoC, I'm not sure you could even introduce rules such as people are suggesting in relation to Dorries without causing mayhem in NI. You can't have one rule for one, one rule for another. Now admittedly, the SF MPs are always elected on the understanding that they will never sit but all the same, you still be having new by-elections in NI every few months in those 7 constituencies

Yeah, the Sinn Fein situation is unique.

In the case of Dorries, Sunak said 

"It's just making sure your MP is engaging with you, representing you, whether that's speaking in Parliament or being present in their constituencies doing surgeries, answering your letters.

"That's the job of an MP and all MPs should be held to that standard."

Asked if that meant Ms Dorries was failing her constituents, Mr Sunak said: "Well, at the moment, people aren't being properly represented."

The PM / Party Leader has defined his expectations and confirmed she is not meeting them (but isn’t going to do anything about it).

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The PM / Party Leader has defined his expectations and confirmed she is not meeting them (but isn’t going to do anything about it).

You're comparing two different things. If Dorries doesn't do her job as an MP, that's a matter for her voters. If she doesn't do her job as a Tory, that's for the whips and the PM. As bickster says, there are no KPIs to judge the performance of an MP. They get a performance review at every General Election, and whether Sunak thinks she's a good MP or not, has nothing to do with whether she should remain in the Tory party. It's got nothing to do with him being weak. He is weak, this just isn't evidence of it. 

No party leader in history ever has, or ever will kick an MP out of their party for not doing constituency work to some arbitrary standard. So it's daft to lay something as a criticism of Sunak that wouldn't be a criticism of literally anybody else who has gone before him or will come after him.

I bow to nobody in my disdain for Sunak, who is a nasty, disingeunous little oaf who should be nowhere near the job that he is currently squatting in. But it rather detracts from the thousands of things that he should be criticised when it's diluted with stuff that it really very little to do with him.

• Like 1

Â