The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

So The Tories seemed to leach away a lot of votes to The Greens in recent votes and now Sunak has announced hundreds of new oil and gas licences. 

Seems sensible.  Torching the planet on the way out. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So The Tories seemed to leach away a lot of votes to The Greens in recent votes and now Sunak has announced hundreds of new oil and gas licences. 

Seems sensible.  Torching the planet on the way out. 

He’s also looking to scrap pedestrian zones in towns and 20mins speed limits.

Its very bizarre behaviour.

How long do you reckon before "Carbon Capture" is proved to be a load of bollocks that doesn't work at all but has made a few people very rich and extended the burning of fossil fuels by a few years? 

• Like 2

It’s a strange step along the road to straight up climate denial as a way of shoring up that hardcore 20% of the vote.

But good luck to him.

He needs to double down and massively expand fracking in multiple tory seats.

Europe is literally on fire, yet at home our PM is looking to wind back laws aimed at reducing pollution (and improving our dying town centre environments).

Sunak being one of the sensible ones is looking like also being false.

I'm not too bothered as I assume ume Labour will just reverse most of these decisions in about 12 months assuming they are reversible. 

Makes me laugh though that they use the protect our energy self reliance card, pretending that the oil and gas isn't just sold on to the world market. 

I'd me less critical if they were forced to send it to UK refineries at X price who were forced to refine it for X price and we're forced to sell it to UK retailers at X price all as part of the licence. 

But no, it'll just go onto the world market as a drop in the ocean of supply. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not too bothered as I assume ume Labour will just reverse most of these decisions in about 12 months assuming they are reversible. 

Makes me laugh though that they use the protect our energy self reliance card, pretending that the oil and gas isn't just sold on to the world market. 

I'd me less critical if they were forced to send it to UK refineries at X price who were forced to refine it for X price and we're forced to sell it to UK retailers at X price all as part of the licence. 

But no, it'll just go onto the world market as a drop in the ocean of supply. 

Having our own supply of oil and gas didn’t do much to help the British people in the recent worldwide shortages of supply and subsequent price hike.

It’s actually one of the “taking back control”  things that might have been useful post Brexit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

How long do you reckon before "Carbon Capture" is proved to be a load of bollocks that doesn't work at all but has made a few people very rich and extended the burning of fossil fuels by a few years? 

Well a professor of carbon capture had these strong claims to make:

Asked if he think carbon capture works he says: "I think there's good arguments to say it does, yes.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He’s also looking to scrap pedestrian zones in towns and 20mins speed limits.

Its very bizarre behaviour.

It seems to me that it's them desperately trying to find any wedge issue they can, and playing the role of the champion of the motorist is inspired by the Ulez debates.

The country is going to shit, but the biggest problem is speed bumps, right lads?

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

It seems to me that it's them desperately trying to find any wedge issue they can, and playing the role of the champion of the motorist is inspired by the Ulez debates.

The country is going to shit, but the biggest problem is speed bumps, right lads?

And boat's. Don't forget the boat's.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not saying it does and not saying it doesn't. Would be interesting to see who funds his research though. I mean actually funds it in the background. 

Definitely. I don't know anything about it, but the statement "I think there are good arguments that carbon capture works" from a professor of carbon capture don't inspire much confidence regardless of who is funding the research.

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've seen this break dust argument. I suspect rather like the fact that all car parks are going to fall down because of the extra weight it's probably something pushed by the oil and gas lobby to rubbish EV'S. 

As @Davkaus says most people use one pedal driving rather than actually using brakes so the overall braking action of EV's should be much gentler.

But this whole weight thing with EV's is such a temporary thing.  Batteries are developing at break neck speed. Getting more and more energy dense. It will only be a couple of years before there is weight parity with ICE vehicles and they'll then get lighter and lighter. 

The reason I suspect its an Oil and Gas Lobby pushed angle is because with the race to SUV's cars have been getting progressively bigger and heavier for decades. Have you ever heard the same story touted about that change? 

No, because no one has been paying people to run such stories. 

If EV's create much more tyre dust then so do SUV's compared to the typical family car that used to rule the roost. 

Tyre particles yes, perhaps EVs are slightly worse than ICE. I'm sure that will improve with time however.

Brake dust though... I'm telling you now that my electric car generates literally NO brake dust compared to my previous cars. I never ever have to wash the alloys, they are always shiny and dust free. And it's because probably 90% of the braking is handled by the regen system. It's fantastic and one of my favourites unexpected bonuses of the electric car - alloys that never get black and dusty.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Tyre particles yes, perhaps EVs are slightly worse than ICE. I'm sure that will improve with time however.

Its a bit of a mad argument anyway. 

Let's ignore the billions of really dangerous particles that the exhaust pumps out and concentrate on the tyre dust which is probably about 5% more than ICE cars and will reduce as batteries get lighter anyway. 

It's like focusing on the boats when the economy is crashing all over again. 

Glad you're enjoying your clean wheels.  I also expect brake is probably 100 times worse for the environment than tyre dust as well but no one is paying for that story. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Definitely. I don't know anything about it, but the statement "I think there are good arguments that carbon capture works" from a professor of carbon capture don't inspire much confidence regardless of who is funding the research.

You should have a read up on the Dunning-Kruger effect (but the bit after the first peak on the graph). Experts, in particular scientists, rarely answer a specific question about hypotheses within their speciality with a "yes" or "no" until there is sufficient experimental evidence to do so (there rarely is). It's why they usually answer with percentages and probabilities.

After all, the highest goal of science is to prove its hypotheses and theories to be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

And boat's. Don't forget the boat's.

You two genuinely can’t see it can you? You’ve solved it and not even realised.

Put the speed bumps in the Channel.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If you increase the number of small boats, there will be more naturally occurring speed bumps, thus saving the tax payer money

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I still don’t know why we can’t just drown them all now we’re free of EU red tape.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I still don’t know why we can’t just drown them all now we’re free of EU red tape.

Don't, Suella will need to change her knickers and it's not even lunchtime yet.

• Haha 4

Â