The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Agreed, why not?

Well for a while remember the tories actively prevented councils from building additional homes. Plus, I guess, if government is involved then there is a triple whammy, their mates don’t make as much profit, their voters don’t see their paper wealth accumulate, their voters are at theoretical risk of needing to pay a penny more tax to organise state building of homes.

It's because they are in politics for themselves, not the country they pretend to care about. Our politicians are not fit for purpose. We would be better off employing the most gifted managers,.pay them huge salaries, and let them manage to benefit the country not their egos or their mates and there own bank balances.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

In 15 years time the ‘Gen X’ line will be where the ‘boomer’ line is and that upturn in the ‘Millennial’ line will take it towards the National Average while the ‘Zoomer’ line will appear in their place.

The whole thing carries on as before. 

Not true with the exception of 2019 (where the age dipped to below 40 in a massive downturn - because Corbyn) the age at which there are more Tory voters than Labour has been getting older at each election for decades and there's no expectation of a recovery

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Maybe. But also, maybe not.

People don't just receive their "I now vote Tory" badge in the post on their fiftieth birthday, and I think misunderstands the reason why that trend exists.

The important graph for "what makes someone vote Tory" isn't their age but their assets. And as people got older, they typically became more asset-rich and more likely to vote for what they felt was likely to see those assets best-protected. This is now the first time in modern history where people are going to be significantly poorer than their predecessors, and that motivation to become more Tory as they get older is vastly diminished - which is why you see those trends on @juanpabloangel18's graph.

It's spectacular just how little thought has gone into the last thirteen years of governance to try and build a voting coalition for the future. 

I would also think that as people start casting half an eye towards their old age, and start to see and and use more NHS services they are probably (like I am) terrified about where we're likely to be in 20 - 30 years time on current trajectory. 

Previous generations would have seen they're going to be well looked after in their dotage and their elderly parents are being well looked after.  People currently will not be feeling that comfort at all. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Maybe. But also, maybe not.

People don't just receive their "I now vote Tory" badge in the post on their fiftieth birthday, and I think misunderstands the reason why that trend exists.

The important graph for "what makes someone vote Tory" isn't their age but their assets. And as people got older, they typically became more asset-rich and more likely to vote for what they felt was likely to see those assets best-protected. This is now the first time in modern history where people are going to be significantly poorer than their predecessors, and that motivation to become more Tory as they get older is vastly diminished - which is why you see those trends on @juanpabloangel18's graph.

It's spectacular just how little thought has gone into the last thirteen years of governance to try and build a voting coalition for the future. 

And what about the transfer of those assets when the boomers die?

There is also more to being a conservative voter than just wealth.

There is the idea of cultural conservatism as well. It reminds me of Abe Simpson and his ‘it will happen to you!’ quote.

The boomers when they were young were the hippy generation, considered ultra progressive at the time. But each youth generation comes up with their own progressive ideas and when those rub up against the values of the generation before them the older generation becomes the conservatives of the day. Voting conservative is often about cultural values as much as economic ones. 

Edited by LondonLax

8 hours ago, bickster said:

And someone who already owns 79 properties will buy it to turn into shit flats

I only own 75 actually and for your information they are New York style lofts. 

On the shitty NHS thing, my lad got a big rash across his back and we thought we’d have to fight the doctors receptionist to maybe if we were lucky get a call from a doctor.

Before that we took a photo of it and popped to the local pharmacy. Pharmacist took a look, immediately knew what it was, gave us something for it and it was gone 24 hours later.

Something to consider if anyone else is in a similar situation.

• Like 2

On the demographics, both my parents in law have died since the last election. My dad will do well to make the next election.  All Conservative voters. 

Both my kids are voting for the first time, they'll both vote Labour. 

My neice will be voting for the first time. I don't know her politics but my brother is a Corbynite so I can't see her aspiring to Tory values. 

That's a hell of a swing in one family. 

15 hours ago, bickster said:

And someone who already owns 79 properties will buy it to turn into shit flats

And get mortgages on them. And the DWP will pay the rent. But they will proudly say they made their own money and never claimed benefits.

And then vote Tory 'because of scroungers'

Edited by Anthony
missed a bit
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Genie said:

On the shitty NHS thing, my lad got a big rash across his back and we thought we’d have to fight the doctors receptionist to maybe if we were lucky get a call from a doctor.

Before that we took a photo of it and popped to the local pharmacy. Pharmacist took a look, immediately knew what it was, gave us something for it and it was gone 24 hours later.

Something to consider if anyone else is in a similar situation.

Glad to see you didn't make any rash decisions.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Voter ID will also help the tories.

Will it?
Kids all have ID, they don’t get into pubs without it 

Kids apply for provisional licences with no intention of driving 

The ID thing is more likely to affect older Tory voters who haven’t had need of a passport for years and are no longer able to drive

The Tories thought they were being smart with this but as usual…

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Will it?

The ID thing is more likely to affect older Tory voters who haven’t had need of a passport for years and are no longer able to drive

Poor communities will struggle. I don’t know the numbers, I just know from experience of working in the NFP industry, that there are many people on low income without ID (even a provisional license).

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

Will it?

Aren't they allowing the Senior Bus Pass as ID but not the youth one?

• Like 2

Â