The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

The tories will sort this out... shudder.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/23/revealed-scale-of-forever-chemical-pollution-across-uk-and-europe

"Pollutants known as “forever chemicals”, which don’t break down in the environment, build up in the body and may be toxic, have been found at high levels at thousands of sites across the UK and Europe, a major mapping project has revealed."

This has been a thing in the states for a few years. Nasty stuff and worth knowing if it is anywhere near your home/workplace/water source etc.

44 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s everywhere

I read that in the eighties, when Dupont found this problem in the area around one of their plants, they did blood tests on the people in the town in order to compare the samples of people who had the substance in their blood with those that didn't, but they couldn't find anyone in town who didn't already have traces in their system. So they tried the next town over, but they didn't find anyone without the substance in their systems there either, so they tried the next state, nope. So they tried South America, then Europe and Japan, to no avail.

They did eventually find blood samples without PFOA"s - but they did have to go to an unusual source - military samples from the Korean war - taken twenty years before they began manufacture.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

How are they getting away with having 160,000 people waiting for their asylum claims to be processed? Costing many millions every day. 

How are you defining "getting away with"?

People of every political persusion think they are doing a terrible job. 

Getting away with it would be doing a terrible job and there being no political consequences from doing that terrible job.

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

How are you defining "getting away with"?

People of every political persusion think they are doing a terrible job. 

Getting away with it would be doing a terrible job and there being no political consequences from doing that terrible job.

There’s just a general feeling of “could be better” but not a huge amount of pressure really. 

£7-10m a day completely wasted on hotels/living costs that could be spent on schools, hospitals, police etc and yet I don’t think i’ve ever heard anyone mention it.

£7-10m a day pays for a lot of staff to process the applications but there doesn’t seem to be an appetite to do that.

The fact they’ve let it grow to this point shows how they’ve got away with it.

Todays headline is they have a plan to get people from 5 countries fast-tracked… that leaves about 148,000 waiting possibly 2 years to have their case reviewed. 

It looks like it’s going go be a turd left for Labour to deal with. 

Edited by Genie

13 hours ago, Genie said:

There’s just a general feeling of “could be better” but not a huge amount of pressure really. 

£7-10m a day completely wasted on hotels/living costs that could be spent on schools, hospitals, police etc and yet I don’t think i’ve ever heard anyone mention it.

£7-10m a day pays for a lot of staff to process the applications but there doesn’t seem to be an appetite to do that.

The fact they’ve let it grow to this point shows how they’ve got away with it.

Todays headline is they have a plan to get people from 5 countries fast-tracked… that leaves about 148,000 waiting possibly 2 years to have their case reviewed. 

It looks like it’s going go be a turd left for Labour to deal with. 

Hasn't the Conservative party publicly given themselves a target of clearing the backlog of anyone waiting longer than 6 months by December 2023. 

They must have a plan to deal with the numbers or they are going to look really weak and silly with a general elections just months away after that self-imposed deadline.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Hasn't the Conservative party publicly given themselves a target of clearing the backlog of anyone waiting longer than 6 months by December 2023. 

They must have a plan to deal with the numbers or they are going to look really weak and silly with a general elections just months away after that self-imposed deadline.

Maybe I misheard but i’m sure I saw Rishi on the news last night committing to something by the end of NEXT year.

40 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Problem (for them) is though that their solution is just to fast-track a load of applications from places with high success rates. And while the asylum process is an issue that concerns people from all sides of the political spectrum, the solution that their voters are looking for isn't really "just let them all stay".

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Maybe I misheard but i’m sure I saw Rishi on the news last night committing to something by the end of NEXT year.

He originally said that last year - December 2022 to be precise.
So his deadline was 31st December 2023.

What you saw last night was a clip of the original commitment because they were saying how’s he going to achieve that in 10 months now.

Edited by ender4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Problem (for them) is though that their solution is just to fast-track a load of applications from places with high success rates. And while the asylum process is an issue that concerns people from all sides of the political spectrum, the solution that their voters are looking for isn't really "just let them all stay".

It’s almost quite funny though. Clear the backlog by just letting everyone stay. I guess in some ways that’s better than letting no-one stay!

Â