The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

29 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Aren't they allowing the Senior Bus Pass as ID but not the youth one?

Correct - nobody is denying that it's a law designed purely to help Tories win elections. 

However, @bicksteris correct, there's a good chance that they might have f***** it as badly as everything else that they touch. 

All of this is speculation though - I don't think anyone is going to know the impact until May, when we see what numbers and demographics are refused. 

• Like 2

The local elections are a bit half hearted, but better they find out on that than in a general election.

But you can guarantee that somewhere in the country, at the next GE, there will be someone that gets in on a majority of 100 where 101 people were turned away for lack of i.d.

Remembering, that when Labour wanted to impose National I.D. Cards, the tories were vehemently opposed to it as it threatened our democracy. 

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The local elections are a bit half hearted, but better they find out on that than in a general election.

But you can guarantee that somewhere in the country, at the next GE, there will be someone that gets in on a majority of 100 where 101 people were turned away for lack of i.d.

Remembering, that when Labour wanted to impose National I.D. Cards, the tories were vehemently opposed to it as it threatened our democracy. 

Thatcher tried it first with football fans

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is it not mandatory to have one of these now?  (Assuming you are actively driving).

Nope. Although if and when it needs to be renewed, it will have to be replaced with a photo one. 

tbh, I keep meaning to apply for a photo one (and indeed renew my passport), but so far I cba (and I resent forking out the fee). 

Taking back control

Some 12,000 asylum seekers to the UK are to be considered for refugee status without face-to-face interviews. 

A 10-page Home Office questionnaire will decide the cases of people from Afghanistan, Eritrea, Libya, Syria and Yemen who applied before last July.

The move aims to reduce the asylum backlog which Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has pledged to end this year.

Why do the job properly when you can just throw the rules in the bin and then declare you cut the backlog?

I bet the throbbers are loving this. 

Link

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I really, really don't get this.

Almost every other country has them. Over here, it's really key to have it. You use it for literally everything. It isn't Big Brother to have mandatory ID.

I was just in Italy, they have cigarette machines on the street where you scan your fingerprint for age verification FFS.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Almost every other country has them. Over here, it's really key to have it. You use it for literally everything. It isn't Big Brother to have mandatory ID.

I was just in Italy, they have cigarette machines on the street where you scan your fingerprint for age verification FFS.

It’s a weird topic area.

I don’t want to have to carry my papers with me.

But I am happy to let my phone log everywhere I take my phone and send me a map at the end of the month along with pictures of shops I’ve been in.

There is a shopping street nearby where the act of walking along that street is taken as consent to cameras that have facial recognition tech monitored by the police. I haven’t done anything particularly bad, I wouldn’t be ‘recognised’ by that camera. But I shop elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

All the years I was growing up I was told by little Englanders that Italy was a joke of a country that couldn't organise the proverbial brewery celebration. When I finally visited the place, I was stunned at how far ahead of us they were. Efficient public transport, high tech everywhere (e.g. self-scanning in supermarkets, years before we had it here, etc.) 

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That really is Big Brother

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All the years I was growing up I was told by little Englanders that Italy was a joke of a country that couldn't organise the proverbial brewery celebration. When I finally visited the place, I was stunned at how far ahead of us they were. Efficient public transport, high tech everywhere (e.g. self-scanning in supermarkets, years before we had it here, etc.) 

I remember when I first went to Germany about 20 years ago thinking wow, it’s actually quite nice here. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I remember when I first went to Germany about 20 years ago thinking wow, it’s actually quite nice here. 

Except that no-one took card payments (at least in the south where I was).

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Italy is not really one country (it was only recently unified). The north of Italy could be grouped with neighbouring countries like Switzerland or Germany. All the high tech engineering is done in the north (including the famous car manufacturers etc). The south is quite different and is a more rural agricultural society with more in common with somewhere like Greece. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Italy is not really one country (it was only recently unified). The north of Italy could be grouped with neighbouring countries like Switzerland or Germany. All the high tech engineering is done in the north (including the famous car manufacturers etc). The south is quite different and is a more rural agricultural society with more in common with somewhere like Greece. 

I was astonished at how recently Italy was formed.  It's only a few years older then Aston Villa!

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean it sounds pretty Big Brother...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Caught red handed bullshitting on facebook. Hasn’t returned to the conversation to explain himself either.

In fairness to him he is probably busy making unwanted passes at, and groping, men. There is only so much time in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â