The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

20 minutes ago, Xann said:

We're just feeling our way through our new banana constitutional monarchy.

18 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

But how bendy are they?

Are we saving the green bananas for Prince Andrew?

• Haha 2

I think a lot of people have realised that they don't know what the **** they're doing and/or what they tell us to do is usually not the right course of action for any number of reasons, and accept that if they're making a sensible decision involving lots of clued up people done properly (for example the schools and councils) then they most likely are going to be doing the right thing compared to what the shambles of a government have said.

They've also realised that the government will just fold and pull a U Turn once it's clear that the decision that everyone else has made on their own behalf is actually the right thing to do anyway, and then probably claim that that was what they had said to do all along anyway.

Put this into Google Translate, Tory to English.

The challenge that faces us is to decide - are we going to try to pursue the elimination of Covid-19 regardless of the costs or decide on a tolerable level of deaths (like we do with the flu) in order to return to a normal life?’

Result.

We've emptied the coffers into our chums' pockets for defective goods and services.

Now many will have to die to get capitalism back on track.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What was it they wanted us to do then?

Continue about normal life as if nothing was happening. It's been largely forgotten by now, but the first lockdown was more reactive than proactive on the government's part. Businesses were closing voluntarily, the Premier League postponed fixtures etc. The government did a screeching U-turn from 'Laura Kuennsberg is going to patiently explain something called 'herd immunity' on the news' to 'shut everything', but the public forced them into it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bickster said:

She's always been vile but I think she may be approaching peak word removed

She's not worded it too well, but I agree with her.  

I am willing to accept collateral damage as long as its other peoples nearest and dearest. I am not a scientist but if we can cull the weak that are related to others then yes I am ok with that, just not mine. In that case I am fully behind the honourable member for GMTV. 

It sounds incredibly callous and morbid, but this kind of decision is made all of the time.

We'd undoubtedly save lives by banning cars, but we've collectively decided that the enhanced quality of life for the meant is worth deaths of the few. Covid is killing orders of magnitude more, but it's certainly a case of finding where we want to draw the line.

Should we lockdown the nation to save a thousand people a day dying? Probably, imo. What about to prevent one covid death per day? Well, no. I wouldn't want to have to put the line in a specific place but the government probably needs to.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It sounds incredibly callous and morbid, but this kind of decision is made all of the time.

We'd undoubtedly save lives by banning cars, but we've collectively decided that the enhanced quality of life for the meant is worth deaths of the few. Covid is killing orders of magnitude more, but it's certainly a case of finding where we want to draw the line.

Should we lockdown the nation to save a thousand people a day dying? Probably, imo. What about to prevent one covid death per day? Well, no. I wouldn't want to have to put the line in a specific place but the government probably needs to.

Absolutely, it’s the same as very expensive safety features on cars, planes, trains that might a life or 2 now and again. Not good business. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Absolutely, it’s the same as very expensive safety features on cars, planes, trains that might a life or 2 now and again. Not good business. 

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not :D 

33 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Hyperbole aside, I think everybody is trying to prioritise life. The debate surrounds what constitutes living. 

She doesn't seem to be having that debate though: as there are vaccines, surely it's not a choice between 'freedom' on the one hand and getting rid of the virus on the other — it's a choice between not giving a shit now and having citizens of the country die or being more patient as the vaccine rolls out – and getting the new strain under some kind of control. The Tories don't seem to have this in their makeup, but surely good leadership of a country is leading and keeping an eye out for everyone, poor to rich, not just your mates?

I live in Madrid now and we've had barely any restrictions since the first lockdown, which has been a relief, so maybe I don't have the same lockdown fatigue. It's arguable that the British government and a lot of the population brought this on themselves with the kind of attitude McVey shows here.

I'm sure we all appreciate that it's not a black and white issue, but personally speaking I can't just not worry about my family and other people's families, and this new strain of the virus is a bit of an unknown still, which makes her belligerent attitude really galling. She's not having a debate, she's standing ground – as always (I can't see how people listen to McVey and think she's anything but a callous prick tbh). I'm sure we'll be facing the new strain in Spain soon on a bigger scale too, and if we have to lockdown to keep people safe and to keep the hospitals functioning as best as possible while the vaccine is distributed, then for me of course it's the right thing to do. I've met plenty of Spanish people with McVey's attitude, and tellingly they change their mind as soon as they have a friend or two in an intensive care unit.

Edited by Rolta

Â