• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Just to add about Richards - this guy imposes on any game, he is a big character and he has something to say in every game he plays. Well happy that he is our player, for some time to come.

Glad you said that.....colossus...love him....his play that is ......................Phew!!! that was close.

First half was terrible, the only reason we were still in it was because their forwards' finishing was beyond awful.

I can see the idea of playing Clark as defensive mid, but it doesn't work if you have Westwood and Veretout who don't make any forward runs. Jack changed this making the midfield more dynamic.

Movement was a real problem in the first half – there wasn't any. Time and time again someone would have the ball and no-one would move towards them, show for the ball or make a run. Changed in the second half, attacking in pairs and groups works much better.

Taking off Gabby and brining on Ayew brought balance to the side. Gabby was playing too far forward and not creating anything, Ayew dropped deeper to receive the ball so was more effective.

A very mixed performance with some positives. Anyway got the result we need, roll on 4th round!

• Like 2

First half was as bad as a maggot filled turd. Second was SO much better. Small heath are really shit thougfh so I won't get too carried away.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA **** YOU KNUCKLEDRAGGERS

You Magnanimous Fiend you :P

Shite first half, better second half.

Turns out playing creative players in attacking positions is a good idea.

.....But if you use a chisel enough it goes blunt......He did the right thing....Bring on the piano carriers First half and then the Piano Players second half.

• Like 2

Felt bad for Gestede first half, the team were lazy and making him do all the work. Second half he worked his arse off and we used him more effectively. Ayew and Grealish simply too good for such a poor side to handle. Clark has to start next game at centre back, clearly superior to Lescott IMO.

Quick thoughts.

First half dire. Second half lovely.

Guzan - not much to do, but did it well. Kicking was good today.

Bacuna - OK. Linked up well with Westwood first half.

Richards - immense. Didn't loss a header all night. Dominated.

Lescott - meh. Ok. Nothing great.

Ayew - defensively superb. Lost the ball a fair bit going forward. Lovely cross for the goal.

Clark - awful first half. The least cultured midfield performance I've ever seen. Better when put back into CB

Westwood - OK. Only player in our team who played any football in the first half as opposed to hoofing it. Quieter second half.

Veretout - grew into the game. Better second half

Sinclair - a nuisance all night. Unlucky not to score.

Gabby - did nothing.

Gestede - good goal. If he plays, we need to cross the ball. Hoofing it up to him is garbage.

Grealish - he's beautiful.

Ayew - looked a different player. If he'd scored that goal it would have been class.

Sherwood - opposite of his recent games. Crap start but made the right changes.

Great night overall. Getting to and from the ground was a joke. More on that tomorrow

• Like 1

Great result, awful 1st half. Grealish MOTM for me with Ayew a close second.

Special mention to the minibus load of Lulu clearings in the woods that threatened me and my 15 and 12 lads before the game, they must be so proud of themselves.

The first half has to be up there with the worst performance I've ever seen from a Villa side, the only reason we didn't go in behind because SHA had no teeth.  Tim could have admitted he got it wrong and tried to go back to what he wants to do, but to come up with this line that it was deliberate tactic and it went well, I find staggering.  The first half had no bearing on the second unless he was deliberately trying to show that he can make positive changes which I find worrying.  There is nothing wrong with admitting trying something that didn't work.

I never ever ever want to see that first half line up and tactics again.  Second half they looked good against a weak SHA side.  Grealish, Ayew, Richards a positive. Also Clark cannot play DM ever again that was one of the most incompetent half of football I've witnessed, up with JLoyd Samuel home against Reading. Fair play to Tim for sticking him back in at CB there was a diffeRent player (I'd all but sent him on loan).

thought Gestede (goal apart), Sinclair & Bacuna all nowhere near good enough.

Can't take the Gestede comment. What do you want him to do? He won literally everything all game. His job is to win headers - all the team was doing first half was pump it up to him and he won everything. You can't flick a header into the path of a runner if there is no runner.

• Like 1

2 hours to get from Villa Park to Weatherby Services. Then another 2 hours to get home (normally takes 40 mins), including going past my own house to get my car from the Services I left it at. A1 closures are bloody annoying. Worth it though! I love beating that lot! All the noses crawled back under their rocks,

• Like 1

Was working, just got home to watch the highlights. Nicely worked goal. Reading the comments here too, great to hear Ayew played well. Hopefully a kickstart to better days.

Curious why we were so poor the first half and so much better the second? Smart changes by the manager???!!??

Was working, just got home to watch the highlights. Nicely worked goal. Reading the comments here too, great to hear Ayew played well. Hopefully a kickstart to better days.

Curious why we were so poor the first half and so much better the second? Smart changes by the manager???!!??

Because in the first half we played Clark in midfield and the useless Gabby up front and just hoofed the ball forward like some McLeish team. In the second half we took off Gabby and Lescott and moved Clark to centre back and brought on Grealish and Ayew to add a bit of technical ability and we played football on the ground.

Â