• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Very glad to beat them obviously. Some good individual performances but really we should be beating them and we did. Good refereeing performance. Game played in good spirit on the whole. Not even being biased though, they looked poor. Only had one genuine scoring chance and they messed it up. Easy save for Guzan. It was a Premier League side worth a lot of money versus a Championship team not worth much at all. As I started, I'm very glad we won! Deserved. 

Edited by dnmacf

Surprised at the votes for the ref being poor. It's a huge derby yet he got all the big decisions right and I barely noticed he was there. Top refereeing.

Nah he was shit. Booked our players instantly, just talked to the scummers. Let them get away with all sorts.

Surprised at the votes for the ref being poor. It's a huge derby yet he got all the big decisions right and I barely noticed he was there. Top refereeing.

It's a matter of principle for me. All refs are bastards. 

Joking aside, there were a few dodgy decisions going against us that stuck in my mind. On reflection, I think you have a point. I wouldn't call it top refereeing but 'poor' was probably harsh. 

Nah he was shit. Booked our players instantly, just talked to the scummers. Let them get away with all sorts.

Actually felt we got a fair few 50/50's and all the cards we got we fairly deserved given a few of the tackles. Clark and Gabby both deserved theirs at least! 

Joking aside, there were a few dodgy decisions going against us that stuck in my mind. On reflection, I think you have a point. I wouldn't call it top refereeing but 'poor' was probably harsh. 

erm, what about the penalty on Grealish?? first his shirt is pulled by some bluescum then his legs are taken away by a scumkeeper

he had full view of it and bottled it....

Yeah, it'll do.  Nice to win.  Grealish and Richards obviously class.  Don't let Gestede's hammerhead routine fool you; the lumbering oaf has the touch of a tazered elk.  An impact sub methinks.  Some positive signs though.  Ayew appears to have come out of his shell nicely.  His footwork was pleasingly liquid.  I'm not sure what to make of the Veretout plaudits.  Could those who were enthused please tell me exactly what the bloke does?

The biggest problem for me was the gaping space between the players.  Midfield retention is a major issue.  Unsexy but vital.  Intricate interplay in the centre of the park is the Holy Grail.  You also have to question the leadership of a team that breezily allows a rookie teenage sub to completely dictate play.  A double-edged sword though.  Grant Grealish an aggressive burst of pace and we have a player player on our hands.

Sherwood is a lucky boy tonight. No matter what he said in his interview, he made a very big mistake with his starting selection. But his subs changed the game. Ayew was fantastic, the player we thought we had bought, as was Grealish. They seemed to galvanise the rest of the players, who were all much better second half.

erm, what about the penalty on Grealish?? first his shirt is pulled by some bluescum then his legs are taken away by a scumkeeper

he had full view of it and bottled it....

The goalie got the ball, to be fair, but I agree about the shirt pull. Should have at least been a corner anyway. I think the point about keeping a potentially hostile occassion relatively clean is a valid one, even though I did initially vote 'poor'. 

I said before the game it's a no win situation for us - if we lose we never hear the end of it. If we win, it's "you're in the Premier, you've spent millions, you only just scraped it blah blah blah" and that's exactly what the kiddyfiddlers are coming out with on Radio WM.

Â