Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I don't think I've ever felt so despondent about the club's future as I do right now, and that is having lived through the near-bankruptcy of the late 60s, relegation to the old 3rd Division and the break up of the European Cup winning team and plunge to relegation.

This time I think we are going down and staying down. The club has completely lost any sense of direction. 

(OK, full marks to the first smartarse who points out that going down is actually a very definite direction and the club has a pretty strong sense of that.)

Edited by briny_ear

I don't think I've ever felt so despondent about the club's future as I do right now, and that is having lived through the near-bankruptcy of the late 60s, relegation to the old 3rd Division and the break up of the European Cup winning team and plunge to relegation.

This time I think we are going down and staying down. The club has completely lost any sense of direction. 

(OK, full marks to the first smartarse who points out that going down is actually a very definite direction and the club has a pretty strong sense of that.)

Unfortunately I agree with you 100% (despite not being alive in the 60s!) but this is the most pessimistic I've been about Villa since being born in 1980!

I would love to be proved wrong, but even a Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho working in tandem couldn't keep this squad in the division. Sherwood may have made a load of mistakes but frankly the quality just isn't there. Amavi is an improvement on what we had, the rest of the new signings are either average or below that. Gana has been ok but still not at the standards of Delph or Cleverly (putting aside our hatred for a second). Richards is perhaps a slight improvement too actually, unfortunately Lescott is a lot worse!

Putting aside the tactics, even individually I have not seen any composure or quality, maybe Traore in spurts aside, but Gestede, Crespo, Veretout, and Ayew have been simply poor. Lescott has been awful. Bunn, Ilori and Sarkic don't look like we even intended on playing them this season. Then there is the original players; Okore, Clark (And Baker) seem to have developed a permanent case of sicknoteitus, Guzan was replaced as No.1 then put back in as we sold Given, Grealish is promising but far too overhyped and offers very little so far, Gabby has never been a potent striker, Hutton, Bacuna, Westwood and Sanchez are all average at best. Then there's a few hundred midfield players who struggle to make a 90minute impact.

Swansea had at least four or five players who would walk in to our team on Saturday. Newcastle have a better squad. Sunderland arguably do. Take off the Claret and Blue glasses, this squad is AWFUL. That's what happens when year on year you reduce the quality of the squad. When you reduce the wages. When you don't realise losing the best players in the squad means you need to invest MORE to balance it out.

There are a load of people who think because we spent £50m in the summer that it means we've invested - we didn't, we sold our Ferraris and have spent the money on a load of engine parts that may or may not work well individually, never mind be compatible together. And wages tie very closely to ability and once again that's been slashed this year. Yet people still expect us to compete?! We're screwed, I'd love to be more optimistic but reality gets in the way! in relation to FFP, I'm sure we could have spent another £50-60m and still been well within the remit, not that I'd expect that but we should have spent closer to £70m and on less players (too many midfielders, too few strikers)

Good luck Garde, or whoever it ends up being, but you have ZERO chance of keeping this club up unless Lerner sells asap and we have funds in January. If/ when we get relegated then the manager will be blamed again as most people can't see past crap team = crap manager. Unless you genuinely believe that Houllier, McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood are all useless... look at the cause, not the symptom.

So p*ssed off at Lerner/Villa hierarchy at moment. Don't care Sherwood's gone, the damage is done every day Lerner is here. And Tom Fox is losing any credibility whatsoever, he's just a smarmy buzzword speaking business man who doesn't have a clue about football. We're fun by a group of idiots who know nothing about football, nothing about passion, nothing about fans and are so convinced that they have a secret maths formula for running the club and squad that they can't see how wrong they are getting it. THEY DESERVE relegation. We don't.

• Like 4

As I wrote  in the new manager thread I think we will be ok as long as we do not see a back 4 of....

Hutton. Richards. Lescott. Richardson 

Ever ever again, that would of been a shit back 4 in 2010 let alone now. 

Richards. Okore/Ilori. Clark. Amavi. from now on please. We still have 28 games so as long as we appoint a manager who knows how to utilise the squad we have to its full potential we have plenty of time to turn things around 

Edited by thabucks
Bad spelling mistakes. Bloody autocorrect
  • Like 1

To people thinking were already down...we have 28 matches to win 2 more matches than 3 of Bournemouth, Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland. Hardly walking on water territory

Have you seen us attempt to play football :lol:

With the right manager, we'll stay up. Between now and January, all we need to do is keep up with Norwich Sunderland and Bournemouth.

In January, we'll still be around 19th but still within touching distance of 17th.

From Feb to May, I'd expect us to really kick in with a few new faced and a more settled tactical team.

To people thinking were already down...we have 28 matches to win 2 more matches than 3 of Bournemouth, Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland. Hardly walking on water territory

Have you seen us attempt to play football [emoji38]

New manager, actual tactics, hell even the new manager bounce should get us 2 wins, then we have a squad that is no worse than any of those teams and should as a very minimum be able to match them through the season (ignoring any other teams for now such as Baggies, who's main difference to us is that they are organised). We've been shit so far, but it is about as far from being a certainty as it could get at this stage

9 more games in 2015 which takes us to half the season played.

These are our key games:

Watford h, Newc a, Norwich a

Win just those 3 this year, and i think we'll be keeping pace with the other relegation contenders.

I have a feeling we'll get a draw at Spurs just from a new manager bounce.

Yes he is trying to get out, but he could get out tomorrow if he lowered the price......

Yeah but if a buyer isn't willing to pay what the club is worth then how much will he be willing to invest? I don't want us sold to just anyone just to have Lerner out.

• Like 1

The alarming thing for me is we need to start winning back to back games consistently and we have not been able to do that in years. Also we have to start winning games by more than one goal something we failed to do all last season barring one game (Sunderland) We also have I think 2nd or 3rd worse goal conceded in the league so another -1 point based on that

This is why I think we are going down. if the new maanger, manages to keep us up they should build a statue of him outside villa park as it will be  absolute miracle

These are our key games:

Win just those 3 this year, and i think we'll be keeping pace with the other relegation contenders.

Will lose all of them by some considerable margin

These are our key games:

That's the spirit!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

These are our key games:

That's the spirit!:rolleyes:

That's the truth ! :D

Â