Benteke v Yorke

maqroll

Benteke v Yorke  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Benteke or Yorke?

• Benteke
    • Yorke

Really its not a like for like comparision. Totally different type players. Yorke was never a centre forward, but out of the two I have voted for Yorke because I think he was a better footballer, more skill and he went onto great success at Man U winning titles and Champions league and getting footballer of the year, Benteke has got a long way to reach that level. 

Not a centre forward?!

Oh yes I remember him being moved to central midfield by SBL to accommodate Stan and Savo which was a total disaster.

I'd probably go for Yorke, one of those reasons longevity although he of course played in better teams in those days.

Maybe our intepretations of centre forwards are slightly different. More of an inside forward for me. 

Really its not a like for like comparision. Totally different type players. Yorke was never a centre forward, but out of the two I have voted for Yorke because I think he was a better footballer, more skill and he went onto great success at Man U winning titles and Champions league and getting footballer of the year, Benteke has got a long way to reach that level. 

Not a centre forward?!

Oh yes I remember him being moved to central midfield by SBL to accommodate Stan and Savo which was a total disaster.

I'd probably go for Yorke, one of those reasons longevity although he of course played in better teams in those days.

Maybe our intepretations of centre forwards are slightly different. More of an inside forward for me. 

In the 90s pretty much all teams played 4-4-2. It was different back then with genuine striking partnerships with most teams so I just classed Yorke as a pure striker although yes he did like to drop deep and link play but then Benteke did that aswell and he was a pure 9. I neve saw Yorke as a number 10 player and indeed if he was playing now I'd still expect him to be the main striker in a 4-2-3-1.

Edit: The best comparison is he was our Thierry Henry e.g. he played a lot as winger before the move of him to striker with amazing results. You'd certainly class Henry as a striker!

Edited by VillaChris

Yes under Little he partnered Savo who was the CF. I think he's a little small to have played as a solo striker but guess teams do play with small strikers now. But Benteke 6ft 3 compared to Yorke 5ft 9 which is why I dont see them as a like for like comparison. Benteke and Peter Withe yes!

Lol Benteke helped villa to a high finish of what? 15th?

Yorke was in a team (and held a position in) which was challenging for the title at 22/23.

Not even any of the top 4 (2 of which won't even challenge) wouldn't even take a punt on Benteke.

Benteke *may* become as good as Yorke, but never better I don't think.

I named a **** hamster after him, he must have been special.

You can't compare the top 4 in 1996 and the top 4 in 2015. In 1996 most teams had a vast majority of British players and even shit teams with shit players could get a top 4 spot. Not that Villa was shit.

Anyway, Benteke is good enough for any top team in Europe. He should be playing at Man U, where he would be a starter and I am amazed they never really tried to get him. Arsene likes strikers who are skinny, fast and always out injured. Manchester City wont have another expensive striker on the bench next to Bony because Aguero is a starter there. The same with Chelsea where Costa is the main man and Remy/Falcao are cheaper options on the bench. It is like Liverpool buying Yorke when they had Fowler, Owen and Collymore in the 90's.

So I really can't compare who is the best of the two. Yorke was a hero of mine but played in better teams. Benteke is a beast and had Villa been a better team he would not have gone to Liverpool. It is a shame.

I give you a blank vote.

• Like 1

Ok to make this a fair comparison let's look at Yorke up to the age of 24. He had score 27 goals in 128 games for us...

Ah. Wikipedia proving that having an inch deep level of knowledge in any subject imaginable doesn't always make you look smart. Yorke spent most of his career at Villa before Brian Little took over as a midfielder. You can't use a goals to game ratio to compare him to Benteke who spent all of his time at the club as the main striker.

cant remember one yorke goal :(

His best goal for us was against Forest in 1991/92. It might even be my favourite Villa goal ever. It's from a counter attack where Forest are wide open but the way he put Brett Williams on his arse and the nonchalance of the finish are everything I love about football in a nutshell. :wub:

Ok but no need to be a prick about it. You also can't compare a guy who's career is over with one that has been playing in this league for 3 years.

Start spreading the news.

One came through the ranks, dazzled us with his ability to score, to create and to smile before leaving in acrimonious circumstances to win the Champions League.

One went on strike at his old club to join us, scored, out in a transfer request, got a pay rise and a release clause, barely celebrated his goals (let alone smile) before leaving in acrimonious circumstances to play for a club who (very) occasionally qualify for the Champions League.

Don't get me wrong, Benteke is a fantastic player, but given the choice now of the best of Benteke or the best of Yorke in our team I'd pick the snow-fearing wonderkid every day of the week.

I remember the day Yorke left us, I'd got heat stroke at Sea World and vomited down my clothes so had to sit in the car all the way back to the hotel in my underpants. Then my brother rung up to say Dwight had gone to **** United of all people. Worst day of my childhood, I think. He still edges it over Benteke but I suspect Benteke is going to surpass him eventually.

I remember the day Yorke left us, I'd got heat stroke at Sea World and vomited down my clothes so had to sit in the car all the way back to the hotel in my underpants. Then my brother rung up to say Dwight had gone to **** United of all people. Worst day of my childhood, I think. He still edges it over Benteke but I suspect Benteke is going to surpass him eventually.

Ah same for me, the day that taught me never to get cut up when good players leave us as it happens to all clubs....well apart from lying words removed like Delph!

Some people have never forgiven Yorke for that though, I remember when JPA was having his wonder season here and there were people claiming he was better than Yorke which looks ridiculous now.

Yeah, pretty sure I was devastated when Yorke left. Might have been a little too old to cry (though it wouldn't surprise me) but I remember thinking life was pretty much over at that point, what was the point in going on? 

Ha, kids! - Idiots!

Yorke all day long. An outstanding footballer. Along with Platt and McGrath, they are my 3 Villa idols.

Benteke is excellent but not sure we'll be reminiscing over him in 20 years time.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

I'm just waiting for Christian to kiss the plop bade and then join SHA before he can become a true great...

I'm just waiting for Christian to kiss the plop bade and then join SHA before he can become a true great...

If that's an attempt to blacken Yorke's name, you need to try harder. You need at least to mention fathering a child with a voluptuous Reality TV star in full view of the tabs.

I was 10 years old when Yorke left but I do remember watching him play and he made me love villa as he was entertaining. His smile on his face did attract fans to him (and Jordan) and players that I remember having a similar attachment while also being decent strikers are Dublin, Angel, Carew and now hopefully Gestede.

Unfortunately the way Yorke left tarred his reputation with us but he was much more a fan favourite than Benteke and he was a better player during his peak than what Benteke has showed so far. 

If that's an attempt to blacken Yorke's name, you need to try harder. You need at least to mention fathering a child with a voluptuous Reality TV star in full view of the tabs.

Given that the voluptuous reality TV star is commonly known as Jordan I'm actually quite surprised we didn't sign her this summer.

Ok to make this a fair comparison let's look at Yorke up to the age of 24. He had score 27 goals in 128 games for us...

not really because Yorke was played as a winger for much of that time. I don't think big ron used him down the middle as he had Atkinson and Saunders. It wasn't until Little becaame manager that he came into his own.

Yorke was also brilliant, when he was playing up top, during the first season of the Prem. Big Ron dropped though, to bring his son back in, and probably contributed to us throwing the title away that season. He did play his best football for us under Little though. I mentioned it earlier, but that 95/96 season was as good a season as I've seen an Aston Villa striker have. He was magical at times.
That's is the season I remember too. Finishing 4th, a carling cup and a FA semi final. We had a solid team with Yorke being the special player every team needs.. Those were the day.

*Coca Cola Cup ;)

As a 9 year old during that season, my opinion is probably clear. It's Yorkie

• Like 1