Benteke v Yorke

maqroll

Benteke v Yorke  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Benteke or Yorke?

• Benteke
    • Yorke

1 championship title, 1 A-league title, 2 league cups, 1 fa cup, 3 premier league titles, 1 champions league, 1 intercontinental cup, premier league player of the season, premier league golden boot, champions league golden boot.

I'd say Dwight by a wide margin. Benteke has a long way to go if he is to be regarded as a better player IMO

• Like 3

Really its not a like for like comparision. Totally different type players. Yorke was never a centre forward, but out of the two I have voted for Yorke because I think he was a better footballer, more skill and he went onto great success at Man U winning titles and Champions league and getting footballer of the year, Benteke has got a long way to reach that level. 

Ok to make this a fair comparison let's look at Yorke up to the age of 24. He had score 27 goals in 128 games for us...

not really because Yorke was played as a winger for much of that time.  I don't think big ron used him down the middle as he had Atkinson and Saunders. It wasn't until Little becaame manager that he came into his own. 

• Like 2

Ok to make this a fair comparison let's look at Yorke up to the age of 24. He had score 27 goals in 128 games for us...

not really because Yorke was played as a winger for much of that time.  I don't think big ron used him down the middle as he had Atkinson and Saunders. It wasn't until Little becaame manager that he came into his own. 

Yorke was also brilliant, when he was playing up top, during the first season of the Prem. Big Ron dropped though, to bring his son back in, and probably contributed to us throwing the title away that season. He did play his best football for us under Little though. I mentioned it earlier, but that 95/96 season was as good a season as I've seen an Aston Villa striker have. He was magical at times.

not really because Yorke was played as a winger for much of that time. I don't think big ron used him down the middle as he had Atkinson and Saunders. It wasn't until Little becaame manager that he came into his own.

Yorke was also brilliant, when he was playing up top, during the first season of the Prem. Big Ron dropped though, to bring his son back in, and probably contributed to us throwing the title away that season. He did play his best football for us under Little though. I mentioned it earlier, but that 95/96 season was as good a season as I've seen an Aston Villa striker have. He was magical at times.

That's is the season I remember too. Finishing 4th, a carling cup and a FA semi final. We had a solid team with Yorke being the special player every team needs.. Those were the day.

• Like 1

I remember one game against Wimbledon when Yorke took a ball down on his chest from our own goal kick, he beat his 2 markers and was in on goal before the ball had hit the floor...all with such ellegance.

It was moments like this that made the man simply special!

No contest for me!

Yorke

Although it hurt at the time... He left us to win the treble with quite possibly the greatest club manager of all time...

Benteke left us to take a small step up to a team supported by crack heads and gyppos, who is managed by Brendan Rodgers...

IIRC he didn't always play as a main striker when he arrived

Yes but Atkinson was brilliant that season before he got injured. The game at Wednesday, scored the best villa goal ever at Wimbledon. 

• Like 1

Yes but Atkinson was brilliant that season before he got injured. The game at Wednesday, scored the best villa goal ever at Wimbledon. 

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Dalian was on fire before he got injured. I undertand why they wanted to rush him back in the team, but Yorke was a more than able deputy, and could count himself unlucky to get dropped.

• Like 1

Ah. Wikipedia proving that having an inch deep level of knowledge in any subject imaginable doesn't always make you look smart.   Yorke spent most of his career at Villa before Brian Little took over as a midfielder.  You can't use a goals to game ratio to compare him to Benteke who spent all of his time at the club as the main striker. 

cant remember one yorke goal :(

His best goal for us was against Forest in 1991/92.  It might even be my favourite Villa goal ever.  It's from a counter attack where Forest are wide open but the way he put Brett Williams on his arse and the nonchalance of the finish are everything I love about football in a nutshell. :wub:  

• Like 2

Lol Benteke helped villa to a high finish of what? 15th?

Yorke was in a team (and held a position in) which was challenging for the title at 22/23.

Not even any of the top 4 (2 of which won't even challenge) wouldn't even take a punt on Benteke.

Benteke *may* become as good as Yorke, but never better I don't think.

I named a **** hamster after him, he must have been special.

• Like 1

but positions mean nothing Shane Long helped Southampton finish top 7 yet he nowhere near the player of Matthew Le Tissier ;)

also Yorke played with Southgate, Bosnich, McGrath and Ian Taylor, players that would still walk into a Villa team last season :P

but positions mean nothing Shane Long helped Southampton finish top 7 yet he nowhere near the player of Matthew Le Tissier ;)

also Yorke played with Southgate, Bosnich, McGrath and Ian Taylor, players that would still walk into a Villa team last season :P

You're forgetting Savo, Dean Saunders and Dalian Atkinson

Really its not a like for like comparision. Totally different type players. Yorke was never a centre forward, but out of the two I have voted for Yorke because I think he was a better footballer, more skill and he went onto great success at Man U winning titles and Champions league and getting footballer of the year, Benteke has got a long way to reach that level. 

Not a centre forward?!

Oh yes I remember him being moved to central midfield by SBL to accommodate Stan and Savo which was a total disaster.

I'd probably go for Yorke, one of those reasons longevity although he of course played in better teams in those days.