Adama Traore

mwj

If by some miracle we manage to make up 9 points I'm not too concerned about the goal difference. Worry about that when we get there, moving the goalposts at this stage is unproductive. 

Adama - I saw something very alarming yesterday. He went on a little run, the ball went out for a goal kick (I think) and Ayew had to grab his attention and wave him back maniacally. You could sense Ayew's frustration. He'd only been on the pitch 2 minutes.

That's not good enough and if his team mates don't trust him, well, it's a problem. I'm no longer surprised he's not starting games. On the flip side they tend to give the ball to him as much as possible! He's an enigma for sure, one I hope Remi can solve. 

Yes I thought that to. I was one of those screaming for him to come on yesterday, but the gesticulating from Ayew kind of made me wonder if the squad aren't to appreciative of his attitude. 

Maybe we are both reading to much into that, but I agree that it looked a little more than simply trying to motivate a team mate. And the worry is, if Barcelona could not teach him to pass a ball and embrace a team ethos then its going to take a little more than "a few months on the training ground"

There was a couple of guys in front of me yesterday talking about the merits of bringing Troare on, one didn't think he should come on, and (like OBE above) gave good reasoning for his thinking. The other, like many on here, replied with 'I don't care, we haven't won all year, we are bottom of the league and can't score a goal, we are in the shit and need to take chances'

I could understand both of their arguments and I'm still not sure which view I take. 

Sums up my thoughts perfectly. I'm completely on the fence at the moment. He's one hell of a weapon, but I think I'm leaning towards Garde's way of thinking that we have to be very cautious in using him, no matter what our position.

Would I have bought him on at all if we were 2-1 up? Absolutely not. And that's a concern, particularly as every single point is important at this stage.

Also worth noting that Adama was up and ready on 79 minutes. The ball stayed in play for another 4 after, most of which time it was in our possession.

@tinker The counter argument is though tinker, if you put those two on you don't get much in the way of work rate. Now that's the case with a lot of flair players and I'm not saying they don't have a place. But in order to accommodate these players you need a solid platform and defensive strength, we simply don't have that. Our defensive crap as it is, take away a couple of work horses in front of them and they would be even worse. 

Edited by av1

One thing about learning and Barcelona - he can't have failed to notice that he's not at Barcelona anymore - that in itself should tell him he has things to learn. He's put on a slab of muscle since he arrived, so he's clearly determined to change some things. I'm sure his dream wasn't to leave the Barca academy at 19 to come here - while he was there, he could persuade himself that the hard work wasn't necessary, that his gifts were so great that they'd carry him through, after all, here he was in the best team in the world and pushing through. Now he's not. Now he'll know that he needs to listen and work and change to get back to wherever his dream wants him to be.

In terms of saying that if he can't learn at Barcelona, he's not going to learn here - I think the move from Barcelona, in itself, will force him to reevaluate - all we have to do is make sure that what's on offer is the coaching he'll need and want.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The guy spent years at the best footballing academy on the planet. I'm not sure a couple of months with Remi Garde is changing him. I think people just see what they want to see with this guy. 

Mr Wembley singles? When he's made the odd 5-6 minute cameo in games we are never winning. Ridiculous. 

I think and hope that you're wrong, but if you are right, and Garde isn't getting through to him, then I will never ever want him on the pitch, because he's too **** selfish. 'Mr Wembley Singles' is a pretty fair nickname for him to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think and hope that you're wrong, but if you are right, and Garde isn't getting through to him, then I will never ever want him on the pitch, because he's too **** selfish. 'Mr Wembley Singles' is a pretty fair nickname for him to be honest. 

He's too **** selfish? And you've come to this conclusion from the odd 5-6 minute cameo in games where we are losing or trying to win? 

Like I said previously, I think that's ridiculous at this point. 

He's an attacking winger who trys to get to the byline and cross the ball, not sure how that's selfish. 

Edited by DCJonah

5 hours ago, KSV said:

Sometimes some people get through when others could not.  Maybe Adama is realising this and maturing. We don't know. But I saw him track back and try and win the ball back. I haven't seen him do that.  Hardly seeing what I want to see 

You're saying he's never tracked back once in all the times he's been on the pitch in a villa shirt? 

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

well surely when Gana dissappears late in the game that's the time to bring Traore on.

We can argue round the houses about why we can't play Traore or who he can't replace, but all the time we aren't winning it feels a pointless argument. We have to take risks to win.

Yep. You don't get out of this mess by averaging 0.6 points per game. 

I thought Adama would have been a decent replacement for Sanchez yesterday. West Ham were offering next too nothing going forward so wouldn't have been too worried about the other three coping. He should be getting longer than he is and I'm not going to change that opinion until I see more than 7 minutes worth of him in a game.

53 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's too **** selfish? And you've come to this conclusion from the odd 5-6 minute cameo in games where we are losing or trying to win? 

He's an attacking winger who trys to get to the byline and cross the ball, not sure how that's selfish. 

Yes, he is. He tries to beat every defender in sight before shooting himself. It's selfish and unproductive. I didn't see the game yesterday, so if he started to track back and work for the team that's great, but it's certainly new. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, he is. He tries to beat every defender in sight before shooting himself. It's selfish and unproductive. I didn't see the game yesterday, so if he started to track back and work for the team that's great, but it's certainly new. 

I think he's had two shots in a villa shirt. One against arsenal, after doing more in 2 minutes than most other players and one where he scored against Notts County. I think you're talking nonsense. He mainly attempts to beat a his full back and get a cross in, which surely is very unselfish. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You're saying he's never tracked back once in all the times he's been on the pitch in a villa shirt? 

I hadn't seen it before this game.  Not in the desperation he did it with.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Have you ever watched him play?

He's about the most selfish player I've ever witnessed.

I agree that he's not getting enough game time at the moment, although I understand why. But to deny that he's a selfish player is a very strange opinion.

I don't  care if he is selfish. It has been a miserable season and Adama is exciting to watch. I want him on the pitch for longer just so I can be entertained. There is sod all else fun happening this season and he is the only player I'm looking forward to seeing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you ever watched him play?

He's about the most selfish player I've ever witnessed.

I agree that he's not getting enough game time at the moment, although I understand why. But to deny that he's a selfish player is a very strange opinion.

How is he selfish? How is trying to cross the ball into a dangerous area a selfish trait?

Does he make the wrong decision at times? Sure. But selfish is just wrong. He's a positive attacking player that attempts to make things happen. Selfish indicates he's only out for himself, which just seems a bizzare insult to throw at a new player with barely 90 mins of total football in a villa shirt. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

How is he selfish? How is trying to cross the ball into a dangerous area a selfish trait?

Does he make the wrong decision at times? Sure. But selfish is just wrong. He's a positive attacking player that attempts to make things happen. Selfish indicates he's only out for himself, which just seems a bizzare insult to throw at a new player with barely 90 mins of total football in a villa shirt. 

He is trying to be the hero every single time he has the ball. he always goes for the most difficult option even when a 5 yard pass is clearly the better option. I think this is what they mean by selfish.

10 minutes ago, WooJung said:

He is trying to be the hero every single time he has the ball. he always goes for the most difficult option even when a 5 yard pass is clearly the better option. I think this is what they mean by selfish.

Even if that massive exaggeration is true, that's not selfish, that's poor decision making. 

Â