Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

So it's perfectly fine for a club to accept a bid (as Lorient presumably did), for the player to hop on a plane, travel to a different country and then be told 'actually we want more money, so come back on another plane or get your NEW club to offer more money' ?

I see nothing wrong with him coming out with comments (other than that he does come across as a bit petulant) :D what Lorient have done is a bit unfair on the player.

My company sends me on planes to places all the time, I just do as I'm told. I don't start threatening to effectively go on strike, they'd telle where to go.

Eh?

What about if your company told you they'd let you move to another company if they receive X amount (assuming you're tied in to a contract). A superior company with more avenues for progression and higher wages then approach your company for you with the amount X that had been previously agreed, for your company to then say no actually we want more than that after first accepting the bid and allowing you to travel there. Would you not feel wronged? I know I would.

• Like 3

So it's perfectly fine for a club to accept a bid (as Lorient presumably did), for the player to hop on a plane, travel to a different country and then be told 'actually we want more money, so come back on another plane or get your NEW club to offer more money' ?

I see nothing wrong with him coming out with comments (other than that he does come across as a bit petulant) :D what Lorient have done is a bit unfair on the player.

My company sends me on planes to places all the time, I just do as I'm told. I don't start threatening to effectively go on strike, they'd telle where to go.
Eh?

What about if your company told you they'd let you move to another company if they receive X amount (assuming you're tied in to a contract). A superior company with more avenues for progression and higher wages then approach your company for you with the amount X that had been previously agreed, for your company to then say no actually we want more than that after first accepting the bid and allowing you to travel there. Would you not feel wronged? I know I would.

That would be at the mercy of the contract I'd signed into, and the company would be entitled to get the most money I can.

Whatever my personal feelings were, the contract was good enough for me when I signed it so I would honor it. I would not start kicking up a fuss and going on strike, that's just disrespecting the obligations you've signed into.

Trying to compare a normal job to that of a professional footballer is pointless.

The only difference, they don't appreciate how much they're being paid to fulfill contacts they sign.

In no other job could you go on strike and know you'll get picked up somewhere else anyway should your employment be terminated.

Trying to compare a normal job to that of a professional footballer is pointless.

The only difference, they don't appreciate how much they're being paid to fulfill contacts they sign.

In no other job could you go on strike and know you'll get picked up somewhere else anyway should your employment be terminated.

The second paragraph basically enforces what I said. Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

But in any other job you could resign (that is any normal job). Or you could walk out and not come back. You could then get that job you were offered at a higher wage or find another job if you had the skills. Or is it that you would stick with your company and give up the chance to earn more than you ever could in your old job and better yourself?

At least he isn't doing a Delph. He is sticking to his guns.

The second paragraph basically enforces what I said.

Which demonstrates that footballers can get away with being disrespectful to their employers with almost full autonomy and no real punishment possible. Doesn't make it right though.

In the same way that players can't be made to leave a club, they can't just decide when they can go either. It has to be by mutual agreement to end the contract, and the conditions are right for both parties.

If this was a villa player, I suspect many would be calling all names under the sun.

Thats neither here nor there. My company sends me all over the place too, and they pay for it, but that doesn't mean that it's right for a Football Team to say "we've accepted an offer, you can travel a few hundred miles to discuss terms and have a medical............... No wait, we've changed our mind. Your trip was pointless, come back, get the next plane if you can, we have training in the morning"

Obviously you are easily replaced!  ;)

Seriously though comparing your own situation to that of a footballer, what's that about? 

• Like 1

But in any other job you could resign (that is any normal job). Or you could walk out and not come back. You could then get that job you were offered at a higher wage or find another job if you had the skills. Or is it that you would stick with your company and give up the chance to earn more than you ever could in your old job and better yourself?

At least he isn't doing a Delph. He is sticking to his guns.

Really depends what's in the contract, most of the time the employees are protected and contracts have notice periods that you're either expected to work or by mutual agreement end immediately.

And if you worked in a body that is governed by the fact you can't take someone on still under contract you wouldn't be able to just resign.

I don't believe any such notice periods exist in a footballers contracts.

The second paragraph basically enforces what I said.
Which demonstrates that footballers can get away with being disrespectful to their employers with almost full autonomy and no real punishment possible. Doesn't make it right though.

In the same way that players can't be made to leave a club, they can't just decide when they can go either. It has to be by mutual agreement to end the contract, and the conditions are right for both parties.

If this was a villa player, I suspect many would be calling all names under the sun.

I don't think so.

Let's say hypothetically Benteke didn't have a release clause, but we'd told him he could leave for £32.5M. Liverpool bid the amount, we accept it and he travels over there to discuss terms or what not. We then decide actually we want another £5M, if he came out with something similar to what Ayew has I think I'd understand his frustration to honest.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

Thats neither here nor there. My company sends me all over the place too, and they pay for it, but that doesn't mean that it's right for a Football Team to say "we've accepted an offer, you can travel a few hundred miles to discuss terms and have a medical............... No wait, we've changed our mind. Your trip was pointless, come back, get the next plane if you can, we have training in the morning"

Don't think you'd be giving such sympathy if this was a villa player refusing to turn back up for work...

I guess we move on, he's worth no where near the fee they're now asking for and IMO not worth the fee that was originally agreed. 

Can you let us have the formula for working out how much a player is "worth"? And more importantly send it to the club.

Whatever, I am clear the club should very firmly tell Lorient to **** off on this one. It is a bit of low-life, fairly clumsy racketeering they are going in for here. The Trotters would be proud of them.

So you ask for a 'formula' but in the next sentence basically agree that they are extorting us?

No, I think you're misunderstanding my post. It is in two parts (separated by the word, "whatever"):

(a ) I am asking you to give some basis for estimating the "worth" of a player. You are just asserting it and giving no justification.

(b ) I am saying that Villa should not bow to the demands of a club who send a player for a medical and talks on the basis of one fee and then try to up it once the player is with the new club. That is unacceptable behaviour however large or small the fee.

Don't think you'd be giving such sympathy if this was a villa player refusing to turn back up for work...

If Villa had just done what Lorient have done then I'd be in complete support of the Villa player refusing to return. What Lorient did is downright juvenile and unprofessional, I don't blame Ayew in the slightest for being pissed off at them about it. 

• Like 1

I would as I am sure others would if the club were acting like dickheads and treating the player like a clearing in the woods! And It's not just the contract that's the issue here though is it? The players current employers are acting like dickheads and treating the player with disrespect. If my employer decided to start f**king about with my future making ridiculous demands in order for me to leave I'd walk anyway, I wouldn't stand for it contract or no contract! Some would and fair play to them for being more tolerant but every individual no matter who you are has the right to look after their own interests. 

To the tune of Hey You by The Quireboys

Ay-ew, will score one or two.

He's gonna run by you man, like no other one can.

Or to John Carew's old song

Jordan Ayew Ayew,

He's better than me and you

He's gonna score one or two

Jordan Ayew

Edited by villarocker

Â