Uber

Stevo985

guess it's back to going home in unlicensed mini cabs after a late night in London now .. much safer for people than an app that uses licensed drivers and no cash required

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

I have profound problems with the Uber business model and their treatment of employees (I'd extend this to the 'gig economy' writ-large) however this is on net a bad thing. What this does is serve to maintain the TFL monopoly allowing them to continue to set extortionate rates for black cabs. Personally, I've had fares that have amounted to £10 per mile in the past, just outrageous. 

That said, you can use other firms such as Hailo and Kabbee, who will step in and take Uber's market share, whilst other players will come on the scene, Taxify for example will sort itself out and become operable again. 

• Like 2

Looking at the response from my friends on FB, there's a fairly obvious gender split.

The guys aren't impressed with the service being suspended, but there's some proper hate towards Uber from the girls!

Guessing there's been a couple of bad experiences, judging from the venom?

I'd always presumed that Uber was yet another company abusing the labour laws but having been forced to use them a few times in the recent past, I've always been keen to find out what their drivers think. I don't think I've met one yet that didn't love being an Uber driver. Many of them drive to supplement their income and are glad of the extra money. The last one I took was driven by a guy who was driving to help him through medical school.

Actually, I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on the Uber model - I still think it's something slightly exploitative but I'm prepared to put my objections on that score to one side for the sake of convenience.

In terms of the licence loss, it's still a new thing though and all new things take time to settle down. I'm sure there can be an argument made that Uber aren't listening to criticism and changing their policies quickly enough but to stifle such an obviously popular service in such a way doesn't seem to be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I have profound problems with the Uber business model and their treatment of employees (I'd extend this to the 'gig economy' writ-large) however this is on net a bad thing. What this does is serve to maintain the TFL monopoly allowing them to continue to set extortionate rates for black cabs. Personally, I've had fares that have amounted to £10 per mile in the past, just outrageous. 

That said, you can use other firms such as Hailo and Kabbee, who will step in and take Uber's market share, whilst other players will come on the scene, Taxify for example will sort itself out and become operable again. 

I'll be honest and say I've not read up on the subject , but I've yet to have a conversation with an Uber driver who doesn't like the arrangement they have with Uber  ... the guys (and girls) I've spoken to said they get the fee from a journey  and Uber takes a % as their cut , but that Uber offer them help and support for their tax returns , expenses and what not

I also have only heard positive things from drivers. One told me he earns less money compared to being a regular private hire cabby, but it was worth it as the Uber passengers were a far better quality of passanger. No drunken slobs abusing him in his cab.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Another step closer to a Rees-Mogg utopia, a better time, a simpler time.

People who can't afford a Hackney carriage should stay at home.  Or put in an extra shift down the asbestos mine so they can earn a few extra farthings towards giving themselves a leg up.

Aren't those the people in Uber jobs these days?

I get your point re Mr Mogg but Uber is fairly deplorable company that isn't exactly a champion of the have not's.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I get your point re Mr Mogg but Uber is fairly deplorable company that isn't exactly a champion of the have not's.

The drivers that I've met seem happy with their employers. I'm not sure it's Uber's function to care about the "have not's".

17 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Aren't those the people in Uber jobs these days?

I agree with you, but I feel like an administration hell-bent on deregulating the labour market somehow had other reasons for wanting this to happen.

Â