Uber

Stevo985

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've tried and tried to keep with my local taxi firm Crown Cars. 

But I'm now a full Uber convert. 

Especially after waiting for hours in Town and Moseley at nights. 

Last weekend I ordered an Uber in Chinatown and the **** er was actually parked up where I was stood, waiting for an order. 

I was confused why it was saying he'd arrived the second I hit the order button. 

Welcome to the slave trade

• 1 month later...

@il_serpente moved that discussion to the appropriate thread.

You have to realize that in US places like Santa Monica/LA that don’t have dense urban centers, Uber isn’t so much competing with taxis as filling a need because it’s not easy to get a taxi and with the distances involved they’re too expensive.

Actually you completely misunderstand my dislike of them. I'm not a fan of the traditional taxi model and firmly believe in a second tier, it’s where I've been for the last 25+ years. The traditional taxi model is nonsense and only really works in specific locations like city centres and busy interchanges etc but the model itself is Victorian nonsense and its proponents want to keep their ludicrous model of making the passengers come to them. That’s never what I've been involved with. The UK has had a legitimate second tier since 1976. And that second tier has developed and changed rapidly with technology, whereas the other lot have sat on their arses waiting for passengers to come to them.

My dislike of Uber is more to do with their specific working practices and treatment of drivers. They take way too much from the driver and the rating system is highly weaponisable by customers which leads to a whole gamut of unfair removals from the platform. Where most of the US is wrong is allowing Uber to operate in an unregulated fashion. Where some districts have regulated the second tier, like New York for example, they've possibly gone too far in the other direction.

It’s the business model and their unfair working practices that I object to. The US needs a second tier, just like the UK has had for nearly half a century, it just doesn’t need Uber and the like.

I dislike the traditional taxi almost as much as I dislike Uber

• Like 2

Â